• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's my "Mark Feld" purchase! Ya think there's cameo underneath the toning?

22 posts in this topic

Mark, I love ya man. And, don't take that wrong! Once again, you've proved that you're the dealer to go to.

I really like this coin (1866 3CS NGC/CAC PF65). It has a lot of flash which is not readily apparent in these images. In hand the coin is truly a tiny gem. I admit that these close ups almost give the coin a darker, less appealing tone than when you see it in hand.

The one thing that you'll notice in my pictures and in hand is that there's a stark contrast between the devices and fields, like a black and white effect. Do you think the coin is actually cameo'd underneath that toning?

Here are my images:

1866_3CS_-_NGC_PF65_-_Obverse_small.jpg1866_3CS_-_NGC_PF65_-_Reverse_small.jpg

Here's Mark's original image:

1866_3CS_-_NGC_PF65_-_MF.jpg

Very nice 3CS! Superb.

I much prefer Mark's images, however. But I get that you're trying to make a point about cameo. You and Mark are in the best position to say. I don't see it from the images.

Lance.

Lance, usually my Proof images are better than the seller's, but in this case I can see where mine are not so great in capturing the coin in a more favorable manner. My pictures are meant to capture the mirrors and luminescence of the coin which Mark's pictures don't do.

I would also agree that Mark's pictures give zero evidence of any cameo and maybe that's enough to prove there isn't. But, in hand and through my pictures, the stark difference between the devices and fields really show.

It's a nice pick up. I will say I'm glad to see from Mark's original pictures that the "blob" at the 12-o'clock position seems to be a slab smear. In your photo it looks like an unappealing very dark spot.

Very cool coin! I don't have an opinion about the Cameo contrast, as that's impossible to tell from almost any picture. Some show too much, others show none...given that it has a CAC bean and NGC already saw it once, I wouldn't get too crazy about a resubmission for CAM status.

Again, very very nice pick up!! Mark has a stellar eye for beautiful coins! (thumbs u

Ya think there's cameo underneath the toning?

Only one way to find out for sure.... :insane:

Despite what may lurk beneath, it appears to be a very pretty coin on the surface, for sure..... (thumbs u

Mr. Feld did mention it was deeply mirrored, I think.

Could this be interpreted as not cameo?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Deeply mirrored and cameo are not exclusive, as they are really referring to two different parts of the coin - mirrors generally refer to the smooth open fields, while cameo is usually on the devices.

Mr. Feld did mention it was deeply mirrored, I think.

Could this be interpreted as not cameo?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

It COULD be interpreted that way, but my description was not meant to imply that. On their own, deeply mirrored surfaces don't make a coin less likely to be cameo.

My guess is that there is obvious cameo contrast under the toning, but I hope we never find out ;)

Sincerely,

Mr. Mark

Mark, do you think (in theory, if I were to resubmit the coin) that NGC might add the Cameo designation?

No way, Bruce. My recollection is that the obverse is only borderline and the reverse is not even close.

Mark, do you think (in theory, if I were to resubmit the coin) that NGC might add the Cameo designation?

Now, THAT would open a whole new category of business for the Company, I would think, not to mention an interesting collector pursuit.

Not a bad idea-you should charge the TPGs for this idea.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

looks deeply mirrored AND cameo to me

but of course at todays slab factory they dont give the cameo designation to coins that ARE cameoed AND medium to deeply toned

ce la ve........................................

coin has above average eye appeal and looks from the photo to be an original cased-set toned coin

sexy :cloud9:

and the green bean factory liked it also (thumbs u

as partick henry said many moons ago

"give me liberty or give me this coin"

i happen to love the coin

and

i know it is cameoed and this is ALL

that matters to me :applause:

shall i write an ode to an original cased-set medium to deep toned and cameoed gem proof 1866 trime??

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

not tonight i am too tired