• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bad pics or bad tone?

13 posts in this topic

As one who prefers bright white or a subtle tone, this just seems dull. No pop. But we all know there are others who will think just the opposite. That is the great thing of collecting..

Chet

i meant if the pics are making the coins look bad, or are they just ugly. (and dark)

im thinking a little of both

the 1884 reverse seems like it has potential

I'm not sure what you mean by "bad tone", but the coins look original, though unappealing, to me.
Yeah, I agree. Unattractive toning and hardly fabulous. If the toning is spectacular you can usually tell even with a bad pic.

you can tell by the slab and hologram on the slab that the images do not show much color

you call them pics, but they look like scans to me - so it depends on scanner and settings

the first coin they mention color (fabulous toning)- so I feel the reverse is probably close to prooflike with nice reflective blues and greens

a high volume seller without many complaints

I actually think in-hand the coins would look much better. Looks to have some spotty toning but also looks to quite possibly having some nice color. The pics make them look very dull and boring in my opinion.

Most likely very "muted" (euphemism for dull and gray), luster-inhibiting toning. If you want to see color, it's probably there, but you'll have to tilt the coin just right and strain to see it. I'd pass on both of these.

The scans might as well be grayscale. What little bit of color you can see, I would suspect is quite subtle or requires tilting as John noted. I think there are much nicer examples available of both, so not my cup of tea.

-Brandon