• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dipped and Imprperly Rinsed Coins

7 posts in this topic

What would a dipped coin, improperly rinsed, look like after it dried? After a couple years? After tens of years? I recently purchased, via an online auction site, a coin (silver half dollar) that I think did not get the proper bath after dipping. I really like the coin but am not exactly pleased with several light brown blotches or stains on both sides. I do not think this is any form of NT. The spots only show when the coin is tiltled just right under a light; they are very prominent when viewed through my loupe. They did not appear in any pics supplied by the auction site. I would not have purchased this coin if I had seen it in hand. I can return it. I am very much interested in what the pros have to say about improper rinsing and what it looks like. This is a graded coin (PCGS) and I don't think there is anything that could be done to unless it was cracked out. If I were to keep it and crack it out, is there anyway to remove these spots? Thanks.

Typically it is a spotted golden tone. However, it can sometimes produce blue and red colors.

Most improperly dipped coins can just be re-dipped and will look fine.

Here's one!

I was told that this piece was once in a VF-20 holder. Today PCGS saw fit to call it a Fine-15.

I have no idea why a former owner thought that this well circulated coin could have been improved by cracking it out of its VF-20 holder and dipping it. He or she obviously did a lousy job and took a couple thousand dollars off the value of the piece. All early half dimes are very scarce, and the 1796 half dime is the rarest date in the 1790s if you don’t think that the 1792 half disme belongs in the set.

1796LIKERTYhalfdimeO.jpg1796LIKERTYhalfdimeR.jpg

I did an experiment with a 98 proof washie about 4-5 yrs ago. I actually dipped in in ez zest and have never rinsed it. Since then it has turned colors. The majority of the color is Brown followed by blues and reds. It's colorful but not real pretty. lol

Thanks for all the replies - you have all provided good information and great pictures which support my concerns. It has helped me and perhaps others as well. I contacted the seller of the coin and it goes back tomorrow with no hard feelings on either end.