• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I found an old box of coins . . . . .

28 posts in this topic

Hello all, not a coin guy myself so turning here for some help. My dad passed away a few years ago and there were some boxes I could not bring myself to go though. I dug into some stuff today and found an old box of coins.

I don't know anything about coins . . . . . at all.

Can I post a few pics here and get some help?

Ok, sounds good to me. there is a thread in the "What You Need To Know" section about inherited collections. The #1 rule is to NEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVER clean coins.

I'll go look for that thread as well, and that was gonna be the next thing I was gonna ask, cleaning.

The box had sucked up moisture over time and made things worse inside, a group of steel pennies are junk now, I think. And a number of other coins feel like they have mold on them but to the eye you can't see anything on them.

"Never clean coins" I can understand that. What can I do then to "wipe off" dirt or mold or what ever?

Sorry for any bad or to large pictures, don't have the best camera, its just a point and shoot. Well here we go.

I'll start off with this:

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

Its silver, thats about all I know lol.

I have no clue about this one:

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Also no clue here:

009.jpg

010.jpg

001-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Is that Mercury dime on the right side of the picture a 1916? If so check the back for a mintmark for a D (Denver) mark .. might be worth a bit more than silver.

Its a 1916 yes but its so worn its really hard to see. Trying to get the lighting right for a pic now.

Looks like you have an old Morgan dollar under the Ikes. What yaer is it and does it have a mint mark under the eagle?

Oh and we wont tell the "others" in the water cooler that you have been here.

Looks like you have an old Morgan dollar under the Ikes. What yaer is it and does it have a mint mark under the eagle?

lol ok.

Still working on better pictures of the dime sorry.

As far as the Morgan goes its a 1921 and there is no mint mark that I can find under the eagle.

I've zoomed in, confirming the lack of a mintmark. If those die markers can produce a "D", its worth in the $200 range.

first coin is a Australian 1936 Florin

you say it is silver and it should be

do the ring test on it -

balance it on your fingertip, and lightly tap it with another coin

- it should ring like a bell

not worth much more than silver melt

I wonder if your dad picked it up during a war or something

lol ok.

As far as the Morgan goes its a 1921 and there is no mint mark that I can find under the eagle.

I'm telling! :gossip:

lol ok.

I'm telling! :gossip:

Ok . . . (shrug)