• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT or NT? You make the call on this 1843 Seated Liberty silver dollar.

25 posts in this topic

I literally bought this coin yesterday. These images are absolutely dead-on accurate for color and true surface texture on my brand-new LED monitor, so I'd be interested in your opinion. If only the obverse had the same toning pattern :) as the reverse! Incidentally, the coin is not holed-and-plugged, despite the small toning spot right above Liberty's head!

l184301o.jpgl184301r.jpg

Could just be my monitor but, cleaned and naturally retoned since then.

I'd have to agree with that assessment.

In the photo, the coin like it was harshly cleaned but it's very difficult to assess coins from photos. Many times they look completely different in hand.

I would have to agree with Mark, I do not see any telltale signs of a cleaning, much less a harsh cleaning. What shows up to you as a cleaning indicator Conder? I would like to learn as I would have accepted this coin coloration as a natural progression of age.

Beautiful coin, btw, James.

Thanks,

Jim

I've never seen "rusty" toning on a coin like that before, but

NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT NT

The eagle on the reverse just doesn't look right to me.

But it is so difficult to tell without coin in hand.

Doesn't look right, in what way?

The eagle device itself seems to have been roughly abraded but like I said, it is very difficult (for me at least) to judge a coin based upon a photograph.

NT...for the same reason I always give and the one dimefreak gives me a hard time for. lol

James: What do you grade it?

jom

The eagle on the reverse just doesn't look right to me.

But it is so difficult to tell without coin in hand.

Doesn't look right, in what way?

The eagle device itself seems to have been roughly abraded but like I said, it is very difficult (for me at least) to judge a coin based upon a photograph.

I don't see it, but appreciate the reply - thanks.

Looks like an old album toning. Not sure if abrasively cleaned or not. I like the color.I do see a finger print at 10-11 o'clock. What are those lines on the immediate right of the date?

Carl

Could just be my monitor but, cleaned and naturally retoned since then.

RIGHT ON! I don't like the dingey retone, as it was likely dipped.

I also see a fingerprint, which, personally, I don't care for.

I see a little bit of nice blues peaking out on the reverse but overall I wouldn't go for this piece.

I couldn't call this tone 100% NT, since there is likely some dip residue that was involved in this retone process.

Thanks for all the great replies!

One thing is for sure: the coin is not harshly cleaned, not even close. It has no noticeable hairlines even under 5x magnification, and certainly nothing patchy or suspicious. The lines that have been mentioned are all due to toning, as the obverse has fingerprint remnants. But I agree that it's always tough to go by an image.

Could it have been dipped? I have no way of knowing.

The biggest detriments (for me) are actually a number of tiny rim dings, not readily evident in the image. They are really tiny and probably wouldn't bother most folks, and they weren't apparent at all while the coin was in its album.

I think it is VF-25 to VF-30. The reverse displays tinges of luster at the extreme outer areas, basically the light cyan ring just within the rim. The obverse has only the most subtle hint of luster, but of course, many of these had only moderate cartwheel luster when struck, with semi-prooflike effect being common.

I agree with James. The Obverse has good drapery fold definition, arms are nice but Liberty on the shield is too worn for an XF grade.The Reverse shows too much wear on the neck feathers for an XF grade. A solid VF coin.

Carl

I think it is VF-25 to VF-30. The reverse displays tinges of luster at the extreme outer areas, basically the light cyan ring just within the rim. The obverse has only the most subtle hint of luster, but of course, many of these had only moderate cartwheel luster when struck, with semi-prooflike effect being common.

I will buy it from you for VF money tomorrow. ;)

I will buy it from you for VF money tomorrow. ;)

Sorry, you are behind me in line at that price level. :devil: