• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Submission Questions

6 posts in this topic

I am looking to put together a birth year set but to just purchase slabbed coins seems a bit over the top cost wise for a modern year.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using a dealer to submit coins and what I should expect to pay per coin? or is the cost based on the coins value?

I might have to just give in and pay for an NGC membership but I don't think I will ever have enough submissions to make it worth the cost.

Dealers usually charge you a base premium per coin you submit through them. I've found that it's usually around $5. Multiply that by how many coins you wish to submit and add about $40 for registered/insured shipping both ways and you might as well just get the membership.

My local dealer submits coins for me at the membership cost. He keeps the small profit between that and his dealer cost. He sends them with his own coins and other customers coins so I have to wait until he's ready to send some in, or take them to a show, but he doesn't charge me any shipping. I don't submit much or often so a membership is not worth it for me.

My dealer (who I do a lot of business with) charges me a flat $25 per coin for NGC or PCGS.

That's way too much for economy or modern, but fine for regular tier.