• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can't find the earlier thread looking for coin display cases. BUT!!

14 posts in this topic

I couldn't find the original thread but I remember that Jim (jesbroken) posted this link to finehomedisplays and I liked one of the cases for my birthyear set I've started. Anyway, it came in and I like it very much. The slabs fit nice and tight that you can turn the case over and they don't even budge. Was surprised to have to peel the "made in china" sticker off it but still a very nice case overall.

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

very nice indeed. As for the "made in china" sticker, that's no surprise to me as just about everything we buy now-a-days tends to be made outside of the country. Sadly, even US based car companies such as GM (and all its sub brands) use mostly imported parts, some from suzuki, izusu, etc. Take the Mid-nineties model S-10 pickups as an example, the motors (2.2L) were made by Izusu for GM. To take that point further, if you ever need any body panels for any of the 94+ S-10 pickups, when making your calls, also ask if they have those parts for the same year Izusu Hombre. Same goes for most of the Dodge cars, the motors are made by Mitsubishi. And some of the transmissions for the upper 90's Ford Rangers were actually made by BMW (as I found out a couple years ago when the one in my Ranger needed to be replaced and the only way I could get one was through the dealership which took 4 weeks for it to be shipped from over seas).

Sorry for the bit of off topic subject matter.

Again that is a wonderful looking display case. Is it solid wood or just a laminate covering or is it pine wood that is stained to look like a hardwood? I ask this as I have seen several recently that were infact not solid hard wood and some that were actually pine wood with rich staining to look like woods such as Oak, Walnut and even Mahagony. Getting decent Mahagony has been rather difficult here in my area.

-Chris#2

Nice case, so...is that a Lincoln Memorial or a Wheat Ear in there?

Well, its 1959 so that kinda narrows the choices.

And Chris, to be fair, there are plenty of "foreign" cars that are made in America. BMW has a huge plant here in SC.

This is my 59' birthset Woody. Memorial my friend.

Chris1976: The claim is the case is made of oak.

And Chris, to be fair, there are plenty of "foreign" cars that are made in America. BMW has a huge plant here in SC.

Y'all have way better eyes than me,,,and thanks for confirming the date Bobby. Red oak maybe...stained oak maybe, the heft alone should tell you id it's oak or not.

Y'all have way better eyes than me,,,and thanks for confirming the date Bobby. Red oak maybe...stained oak maybe, the heft alone should tell you id it's oak or not.

Heft????

Yeah, heft...weight wise. Oak is pretty dense, has a lot of weight to it, way more than say pine. When you pick it up and it feels heavy, you can tell that it's made out of a good solid wood. If it's light as a feather, it's some sort of pine.

A friend of mine would say, "If I can't heft them with one arm, I won 't date them"

It's heavier than pine. It could be solid oak. I like it tho'. Would've been more of a hassle for me to make one myself with the slab inserts and all.

It's heavier than pine. It could be solid oak. I like it tho'. Would've been more of a hassle for me to make one myself with the slab inserts and all.

If it is a good solid hardwood; I wouldn't care where it was made, as it is nice.