• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC "slabs" -- Anyone else think these look a little odd?

16 posts in this topic

I came across these this morning. They are from a seller in Greece. I'm NOT planning on bidding on them, but I'm just curious what people think. Are they knock-offs? Cracked and re-slabbed in someone's basement?

1918 Lincoln Commemorative

1923 Monroe Commemorative

116020.jpg.b4f3b345ff7bb2893ca6df762cfe457c.jpg

116021.jpg.d7a22983d4e3c50b8f71b0ff2683099e.jpg

This is an easy call: Definitely BOGUS. Fortunately nobody has bid on the coins yet. This seller has already been caught by E-bay buyer 3riverscanoes, read his feedback warning left on Sep-03-11 00:12. The Lincoln is imaged at NGC-1900009-022; compare the pictures – no match (see above). Why didn't the seller just copy the NGC pictures? The Monroe is not imaged at NGC-1667642-004 but the E-bay image is obviously not legitimate. However, since an MS 66 Monroe has a FMV of $5060, and with a starting bid of only $49.99, it is probably the better fake coin to buy of the two since it has a much higher fake profit potential. :eek:

I have reported both as counterfeit on eBay. The guy also has another item listed that is probably also counterfeit, but the slab is a bit confusing to me. The format and the barcode, etc. looks like an NGC knock-off, but it's very poorly done and stated as NNC??

1592 Taler

The NNC is a basement slabber I've seen before.

I'm not sure how you can tell anything about the authenticity of the NGC slabs with the poor photos. I do agree the Illinois looks bad because of a font problem but shoot a genuine slab at an angle with bad lighting and with the lighting at an angle to make all the hologram details stand out (and it almost looks like through a blue filter.) and it will look funky too.

They are clearly not genuine NGC slabs, because there is foam around the coin. It is possible they are a generic plastic slab with a broken out NGC coin and label put into the slab, but I'd have no idea how they would get the NGC hologram on the back. Look again and you can clearly see the porosity of the foam around the Commems.

Why didn't the seller just copy the NGC pictures?

I dunno...maybe it was because of his high IQ and graduate degree from Clown College?

jom