• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is a Star worth?

21 posts in this topic

The highest NGC graded 1964 Kennedy Half dollar is up for sale on e-bay. See Link

A high quality NGC 1964 PF 69 UC coin (there are 84 in existence) may fetch $2,500 at auction. The Fair Market Value of the coin is $2,000. There is currently only one NGC 1964 PF 69 UC Star coin. How much premium should a unique Star coin fetch? Is a $20,000 premium reasonable? What is your opinion?

Without directly answering your question, I'll just say that if the coin could live up to expectations as depicted by the images, it is almost unbelievable how nice it is. Phenomenal!

I wish it had better images, however.

I wonder upon what basis the coin received a star? It had already received a super high grade and the Ultra Cameo designation. I don't see any extraordinary eye-appeal beyond those attributes. (shrug)

The highest NGC graded 1964 Kennedy Half dollar is up for sale on e-bay. See Link

A high quality NGC 1964 PF 69 UC coin (there are 84 in existence) may fetch $2,500 at auction. The Fair Market Value of the coin is $2,000. There is currently only one NGC 1964 PF 69 UC Star coin. How much premium should a unique Star coin fetch? Is a $20,000 premium reasonable? What is your opinion?

Who is this seller? Seriously? This is the same guy who bought that MS67FS Star 1941-D Nickel for $1500 from Captivatingcoins and then tried to sell it in an auction with a $1500 reserve. This guy has been on my radar for a couple months now, and he's quite the coin flipper...too bad his stuff rarely sells! lol

I wonder upon what basis the coin received a star? It had already received a super high grade and the Ultra Cameo designation. I don't see any extraordinary eye-appeal beyond those attributes. (shrug)

I would have to agree with you Mark. Unless they are on the slab, I see the all too common spotting on this coin as most other proofs also.

I would have to agree with you Mark. Unless they are on the slab, I see the all too common spotting on this coin as most other proofs also.

Even if the coin is perfect, why the star, signifying special eye-appeal? It seems redundant on top of the grade and designation.

Stars for modern proofs, e.g. Franklins and Kennedys from 1956 forward (except for 1959 which is rare to get a coin with contrast stronger than CAMEO) don't really make much of a price difference. All they designate is the strength of the cameo contrast. Now stars for toned coins from that period can be another kettle of fish entirely.

Even if the coin is perfect, why the star, signifying special eye-appeal? It seems redundant on top of the grade and designation.

Well the pics are not representing the Dcam frosting as much as I would like to see also. Who knows what the pics do not show.

I agree Mark and that is why I am confused. The coin is not perfect; NGC did not grade it a PF70 UC. It’s a PF 69 Star UC. Why the Star at that grade? What does the Star mean at this level? It seems highly unusual and inconsistent with how these coins have been graded in the past.

What could possibly distinguish this coin from all the other 84 NGC PF 69 UCs in existence? Are there other previously graded PF 69 UC coins worthy of a Star? I am assuming the coin is a knockout but if it was in a PF 69 UC label without the Star the coin would not attract the same premium or attention that it does with the Star. By granting a Star NGC is designating this coin first among equals and creating a premium for the coin. How much of a premium? I don’t know, but over $20,000 seems excessive to me.

Paul

I know a lot of "CLASSIC" guys don't like the modern's but, this coin, if the images are true, has the absolute most contrast I have ever seen on any 64 proof Kennedy. The mirrors are absolutely platelike and the frost is the thickest and completely unbroken. I believe they wanted to set this coin apart from any other that they ever graded. On another note, those look like photo's from a well known cameo dealer who shall remain nameless and sometimes their photo's are not exactly true to life. But they are accurate enough to think that if the TPG thought so highly of the coin then the pictures are probably pretty accurate.

I know a lot of "CLASSIC" guys don't like the modern's but, this coin, if the images are true, has the absolute most contrast I have ever seen on any 64 proof Kennedy. The mirrors are absolutely platelike and the frost is the thickest and completely unbroken. I believe they wanted to set this coin apart from any other that they ever graded. On another note, those look like photo's from a well known cameo dealer who shall remain nameless and sometimes their photo's are not exactly true to life. But they are accurate enough to think that if the TPG thought so highly of the coin then the pictures are probably pretty accurate.

My question and comments had nothing to do with the coin's age. I would have had the same reaction if the coin had been produced 100 years earlier. ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point is of a "star" designation on a PF69. What does this mean exactly? Is this a "Premium Quality" PR69 as opposed to your run-of-the-mill PF69? meh

I swear these designations are applied in the most absurd manner sometimes. This is not a knock on the coins which looks terrific but still...

jom

Who is this seller? Seriously? This is the same guy who bought that MS67FS Star 1941-D Nickel for $1500 from Captivatingcoins and then tried to sell it in an auction with a $1500 reserve. This guy has been on my radar for a couple months now, and he's quite the coin flipper...too bad his stuff rarely sells! lol

Yep, I see the 41-D in his listings & it's the same one....again....

My guess is that one of the graders only graded the coin as a PR69 * Cameo, deciding that the coin just missed the ultra cameo designation (hence the star for superior cameo for a non UCAM designation) and that the other two graders and finalizer graded this as PR69 UCAM. I am assuming that the star stuck, because whoever is responsible for typing and checking the labels wasn't paying attention or was otherwise having a bad day. This is clearly a random guess, but it is the only thing that I can think of. I think the coin is a nice DCAM/UCAM piece, but I don't see the purpose of the star either.

EDITED TO ADD: I was basing my hypothesis and observations on the eBay listing. If you look at the photographs in the NGC database, it looks like the reverse could be a "just missed" it ultra cameo to a grader. Of course, this could also be due to the lighting...