• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin thief ripped me off.....UPDATED....Last post...Page 15, I think

154 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear this, Joe. That really sucks. Stuff like this shouldn't happen to good guys like you.

I can think of some underhanded ways to deal with this (it is still buyable on ebay), but I'm not sure I want to go into the pool where this scum swims.

Lance.

Well hello, I am the dealer Joe is referring to, I am more than surprised to see this coming from a gentleman that I considered a friend. He is upset that he didn‘t send to NGC himself and get the better grade. On approval? Trade? WHATEVER!!! This coin was paid for so to call me a thief doesn‘t even warrant a response. Excerpts of the emails that led to the transaction are below. Remember when you see rampant posts from folks on forums there are 2 SIDES to every story told. Good luck on your collections! - Aaron

-----------------------------------------------------------

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Joseph wrote:

>

> Here's the pictures of the 24 MS-63. I have also attached some images of one of the mint

> sets. Their not from the mint, but put together by some after market

> company. These mint sets are sought after for their toning and I'm sure you

> make money on them, and easy to sell. Some of the coins in there are worth

> much more than the price I'm asking. I can send them on to you and ya just

> look them over and I'm sure you'll be happy. If not I'll have the money

> together in no time at all and just pay ya for that beautiful 26 you sent me. Your a good man and I trust

> the hell out of you. I also love your coins, buddy. Take care my friend and

> let me know your thoughts....Joe

> From: Aaron

> To: Joseph

> Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 6:24 PM

> Subject: Re: 1924 Pics

>

> Looks great, lets run with the mint sets, I am excited to see them and think a trade is just fine.

> What do you want for that 1924? I will pay ya cash on that one, it sure is a

> beauty! -Aaron

>

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Joseph wrote:

>

>The 24 MS-63 is a very nice coin and I'm sure you'll love it, and I

> could use some cash, so how does $150.00 sound for the MS63 24? Let me know and I'll send

> it off with the others. Take care...Joe

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Aaron

> wrote:

>

> I think you are cutting yourself a bit short on the 1924, Lets do $190 on it

> and I think there is still room for me to make a couple bucks on it. - Aaron

You seem to leave the part out where I ask for the coin back and you told me you sold it....Friend....Joe

This deal was a trade for a 1923 Buff, not a sale. You sent me the 23 a week after you receive the 24. I e-mailed you and told you this was not going to work and you told me you sold it. Where is that e-mail, Aaron? Your leaving a bunch out....Friend. Your a good liar....

Well, let's see. DID the dealer "pay" for this coin? The way I read it he sent a coin (not cash) for the 1924. It was a trade.

So the question is was either coin subject to an apporval? If so, the dealer had NO BUSINESS selling the coin because Joe did NOT approve of the coin he received. Deal off.

Now whether the dealer actually sold the coin or in fact sent it off to NGC doesn't seem to matter in the transaction. It may in any future dealing Joe has with the dealer but that is another issue.

The way to solve this is to have Joe send back the coin he didn't like and dealer send Joe $190 CASH.

jom

I will definately block captivatingcoins on ebay.

Thank you my friend. His images are juiced to the max anyways. While your at it you might want to block "Northernnickels" & "Nickelsniper" also because this slim goes by many names....

I will definately block captivatingcoins on ebay.

Forgot to mention this. I had these people on my list of sellers. As of today, they are no longer.

jom

Well, let's see. DID the dealer "pay" for this coin? The way I read it he sent a coin (not cash) for the 1924. It was a trade.

So the question is was either coin subject to an apporval? If so, the dealer had NO BUSINESS selling the coin because Joe did NOT approve of the coin he received. Deal off.

Now whether the dealer actually sold the coin or in fact sent it off to NGC doesn't seem to matter in the transaction. It may in any future dealing Joe has with the dealer but that is another issue.

The way to solve this is to have Joe send back the coin he didn't like and dealer send Joe $190 CASH.

jom

I sent the 23 back to him. I ONLY accepted the money because I had no choice....Because he said he sold it...Now he has it for sale.

Joe, plain and simple, I bought the coin. I sent it in to be graded. I got the better grade. And now that you see it in a better holder you want me to return it to you because you decided you didn't want to sell it? This is a coin dealing business, I buy coins that I think are undergraded, have them regraded and sell them for a profit. It is very simple.

I have said my peace, there is no point in dragging it out further.

jom

I sent the 23 back to him. I ONLY accepted the money because I had no choice....

So he did sent CASH to you then? I missed that part. I think you are stuck at this point as far as the transaction goes. Sorry...just my opinion though.

As to the future: I'd be more careful with the wording of your offers. Yeah, I know, you knew this guy before and didn't think much of it but keep that in mind. ALWAYS try to write down what you want in deal doesn't matter who.

The dealer seems to have lost a couple of potential buyers here.

So everyone loses....

jom

Joe, plain and simple, I bought the coin. I sent it in to be graded. I got the better grade. And now that you see it in a better holder you want me to return it to you because you decided you didn't want to sell it? This is a coin dealing business, I buy coins that I think are undergraded, have them regraded and sell them for a profit. It is very simple.

The point is, Aaron, your are a liar. I wanted this coin back just as soon as I received the 23 you sent me a week later. I wanted it back then, liar. The point is I am going to drag your name through the mud every chance I get. So get used to it ya thief. I don't trade sight unseen and you damn well know it. You lied to me and told me you sold that coin at a local coin show and no longer had it. Now I see it for sale slim ball. I wanted the coin back just as soon as I saw the coin you sent me in trade that you had juiced for the listing just like you juice all of them. The fact is your a liar & a thief. That's the point, Aaron ya bum....

Is that the same story you tell about the 1941-D MS67FS Star nickel you bought for $399 and turned (without resubmission) for $1500 to some sucker? Sigh...

I have to side with Joe on this one. You should have kept the coin until Joe approved the 23. You are now blocked on my list of eBay sellers also.

He sent me the 1924, I sent him $190. it was a sale, not a trade.

Did you or did you not originally send a 23-P nickel back for payment? That COIN needed approval. Period.

jom

Joe, plain and simple, I bought the coin. I sent it in to be graded. I got the better grade. And now that you see it in a better holder you want me to return it to you because you decided you didn't want to sell it?

PS -- To imply that Joe cares one small bit about a piece of plastic wrapped around his beautiful coin is insulting. He is the one who told you that the coin was likely under-graded, and Joe has one of the best eyes for Buffalo Nickels of anyone around. To preach to him in a condescending way about how he's trifling over a piece of plastic with the "MS64" grade is insulting.

What bothers me most is the lack of ethics. There is no excuse for lies. Period.

Protocol was breached and that sometimes happens. But there's almost always a way to make things right.

The proper thing for the seller to do is return the coin to Joe, and have Joe return the $190 along with, perhaps, the costs incurred for grading.

Admitting a mistake...saying your sorry...is tough to do when emotions are high. But I have never regretted it.

When you witness two people fighting, and one says with sincerity, "You're right. I made a mistake. I'm sorry." how can you not admire that?

Lance.

Here how I am sure it went......... Joe Traded with Northern Nickels who is also Captivating coins....... I know Captivating Coins quite well and I dont doubt Joe in the least. I have had a pleasant transaction with Joe

KGrHqJloE3G7ey0pBOILnCrDw_12.jpg

KGrHqEOKm4E4D2KjhsBOILnFqI_12.jpg

Here's the image he had of the 23 Buff he sent me for the trade of the 24 "on approval" The coin looked NOTHING like this image. This image is juiced the colors are way off, it has a HUGE staple scratch across the obverse that can not be seen in this image. I didn't want this coin and he sent it a WEEK later than he said he would. He sent my coin in to NGC for regrading because "I" told him I thought it would grade 1 full point higher. This guy told me it was sold at a local coin show and he no longer owned it. So I had no choice but to accept the $190.00 he told me he sold it for. He's a liar as you can see, he still owns it and he's selling it right in front of me. The SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and by the way it's AU NOT BU there's rub on the hip bone and flank which is also hidden in his images. So why in the world would he think I would want this AU 23 for my MS 24? He told me at least MS-64 on this 23 that's why I thought we could work a trade, not a sale....Joe

Well hello, I am the dealer Joe is referring to, I am more than surprised to see this coming from a gentleman that I considered a friend. He is upset that he didn‘t send to NGC himself and get the better grade. On approval? Trade? WHATEVER!!! This coin was paid for so to call me a thief doesn‘t even warrant a response. Excerpts of the emails that led to the transaction are below. Remember when you see rampant posts from folks on forums there are 2 SIDES to every story told. Good luck on your collections! - Aaron

-----------------------------------------------------------

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Joseph wrote:

>

> Here's the pictures of the 24 MS-63. I have also attached some images of one of the mint

> sets. Their not from the mint, but put together by some after market

> company. These mint sets are sought after for their toning and I'm sure you

> make money on them, and easy to sell. Some of the coins in there are worth

> much more than the price I'm asking. I can send them on to you and ya just

> look them over and I'm sure you'll be happy. If not I'll have the money

> together in no time at all and just pay ya for that beautiful 26 you sent me. Your a good man and I trust

> the hell out of you. I also love your coins, buddy. Take care my friend and

> let me know your thoughts....Joe

> From: Aaron

> To: Joseph

> Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 6:24 PM

> Subject: Re: 1924 Pics

>

> Looks great, lets run with the mint sets, I am excited to see them and think a trade is just fine.

> What do you want for that 1924? I will pay ya cash on that one, it sure is a

> beauty! -Aaron

>

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Joseph wrote:

>

>The 24 MS-63 is a very nice coin and I'm sure you'll love it, and I

> could use some cash, so how does $150.00 sound for the MS63 24? Let me know and I'll send

> it off with the others. Take care...Joe

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Aaron

> wrote:

>

> I think you are cutting yourself a bit short on the 1924, Lets do $190 on it

> and I think there is still room for me to make a couple bucks on it. - Aaron

Because you are so awesome and gave Joe $50 more than he wanted for the coin I am going to buy all of your inventory.... Including three coins that used to be mine.......

No in all honesty I was gonna work with you on the 1996W dime you have but I think Ill pass now :)

Here's the image he had of the 23 Buff he sent me for the trade of the 24 "on approval" The coin looked NOTHING like this image. This image is juiced the colors are way off, it has a HUGE staple scratch across the obverse that can not be seen in this image. I didn't want this coin and he sent it a WEEK later than he said he would. He sent my coin in to NGC for regrading because "I" told him I thought it would grade 1 full point higher. This guy told me it was sold at a local coin show and he no longer owned it. So I had no choice but to accept the $190.00 he told me he sold it for. He's a liar as you can see, he still owns it and he's selling it right in front of me. The SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I am good...... He got you good becuase he can say he sold it to captivating coins and Ebay wont care enough to look into it....

His business "ethics" are interesting.

He has a recipe for business of:

1. Buy cheap toned coins

2. Juice photos

3. Sell for 300% what he paid.

Example:

He purchased this one for $500.

Has it currently posted for $1500 here (but it's on sale for $900 ;) )

To each his own to make a buck, but after reviewing his purchase/flip history, he's no longer on my "watched sellers" list.

This will be my last opinion posted in this thread. I hope you come out with your beautiful '24 Joe. All the best.

Man I am good...... He got you good becuase he can say he sold it to captivating coins and Ebay wont care enough to look into it....

You CAN NOT trust this jerk. He lies juices ALL of his images and hides all the staple scratches. Ya don't know what you'll get.

Why won't he sell me the coin back? I'll give him his money back plus grading fees, shipping. If he was an honest person he would. But he won't, why? Because he's a SLIM BALL that's why....

His business "ethics" are interesting.

He has a recipe for business of:

1. Buy cheap toned coins

2. Juice photos

3. Sell for 300% what he paid.

Example:

He purchased this one for $500.

Has it currently posted for $1500 here (but it's on sale for $900 ;) )

To each his own to make a buck, but after reviewing his purchase/flip history, he's no longer on my "watched sellers" list.

This will be my last opinion posted in this thread. I hope you come out with your beautiful '24 Joe. All the best.

Yes your right. This guy bought a 1914-S Buff from me with some interesting color and turned right around juiced the images of this 14-S so much I could hardly tell it was the same one and sold it for more than twice what he paid me for the coin . Not honest and yes bad ethics....Joe

This is some fukced up shiz. Especially the fact that in his posts he is not referring to his lie about selling it already. I offered him $190 for it on eBay just now. He has since blocked me from making any more offers. What a piece of trash. Rot.

I havent had a dealing with this guy under any of his names, but with this type of information, I will be sure to avoid him. I have informed a few local guys that are members of the local club about this thread since they are avid buff collectors, at this point, I wouldnt count on those 7 potential customers making purchases either.

Both of the local clubs I am a member of have a bi-weekly meeting were we discuss which Ebay sellers are good or not so much. I'm sure that a print out of this thread will be available for viewing by one of those 7 members who started that portion of the meetings. I figure by the time it gets discussed at the meetings ( roughly 1500 members between the two clubs) there will be plenty of people who will discuss both sides of this transaction in an open minded fashion. We do it that way as not to "choose a side" so to speak, but rather to inform the other members to be cautious when dealing with the sellers discussed.

You know whats funny is that I know when he is bidding. I like to buy coins and have somebody ( The best) flip them. When I see he is bidding I just go ahead and jack the price up for him :)..... Since I know he is reading this How did that old ANACS certificate Mercury dime go for ya? :)

I havent had a dealing with this guy under any of his names, but with this type of information, I will be sure to avoid him. I have informed a few local guys that are members of the local club about this thread since they are avid buff collectors, at this point, I wouldnt count on those 7 potential customers making purchases either.

Both of the local clubs I am a member of have a bi-weekly meeting were we discuss which Ebay sellers are good or not so much. I'm sure that a print out of this thread will be available for viewing by one of those 7 members who started that portion of the meetings. I figure by the time it gets discussed at the meetings ( roughly 1500 members between the two clubs) there will be plenty of people who will discuss both sides of this transaction in an open minded fashion. We do it that way as not to "choose a side" so to speak, but rather to inform the other members to be cautious when dealing with the sellers discussed.

This is appreciated and is very good idea. What I have said is the total truth. I'm not the kind of person that would spred lies about something like this. My point is to warn my friends and collectors about this seller. To do what I would expect from other that might be in the same boat I am in right now. All I want & wanted from the start is for this piece of to return my coin, that's it and that all. I ONLY took the money because I had no choice, I would love to have my 1924 Buff back where it belongs, in MY collection. The thief....Joe

This is some fukced up shiz. Especially the fact that in his posts he is not referring to his lie about selling it already. I offered him $190 for it on eBay just now. He has since blocked me from making any more offers. What a piece of trash. Rot.

Yep, that's his MO. I'm blocked too....I wanted to buy my 24 back, but I can't....