• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC should hire another grader or two

69 posts in this topic

I submitted a world coin package under the Value tier, and they recieved it on July 25. The package is still "scheduled for grading." Current turnaround times are listed as 43 days! This is ridiculous! Even the standard tier is listed at 27 days!

Obviously, if you have enough business that you have a backlog like this, maybe you should consider hiring another grader or two, NGC. I realize your turnaround times are listed on your site and I know what to expect, but seriously, this is unacceptable. Your customer service is well respected, but these times are getting out of hand.

I don't submit coins for grading but goodness, I would hope if I did I would at least get grade results in a decent amount of time. That's why I buy cheap coins not worth grading. lol

I submitted a world coin package under the Value tier, and they recieved it on July 25. The package is still "scheduled for grading." Current turnaround times are listed as 43 days! This is ridiculous! Even the standard tier is listed at 27 days!

Obviously, if you have enough business that you have a backlog like this, maybe you should consider hiring another grader or two, NGC. I realize your turnaround times are listed on your site and I know what to expect, but seriously, this is unacceptable. Your customer service is well respected, but these times are getting out of hand.

+ 1

I cant believe how bad it is!!

Nick

I hate to pile on and I know the decision to hire is not an easy one since the rate of submissions varies monthly but it would seem that there is more than enough submissions to support the hiring of at least one more grader since folks have been complaining of turn around times (PCGS/NGC) since as long as I can remember hm

For a budget standpoint I would think quicker turnaround times would generate more submissions and generate additional revenue that could more than offset the additional salary...but hey that's just me :grin:

Florida is the retirement capital of the U.S., right? Can't they hire contract graders from some of the fogies? ;)
You want an old person who can't see up close to grade your coins? You want your MS65's to turn in AU58's or your XF45's into MS61's do ya!! Not that I'm that old.... but my sight it definitely not what it used to be. At a coin show I'm completely useless without my loop!

the grading services have extra options for people in a hurry

something like 2X for a couple weeks

5X for a week or overnight at a show

the grading services are more concerned about optimizing their profits,

than your desire for speed

you should consider starting your own grading service,

you could get it done as fast as you wanted with your own grades

the grading services have extra options for people in a hurry

something like 2X for a couple weeks

5X for a week or overnight at a show

the grading services are more concerned about optimizing their profits,

than your desire for speed

you should consider starting your own grading service,

you could get it done as fast as you wanted with your own grades

And hopefully build up a good reputation :)

e1cnr,

I think the OP was concerned because the turn-around times are much greater than identified for that specific tier. NGC says the turn-around for the for the Value option is 21 working days; however the current turn-around is 41 working days; and his coin is now at 43 days (not sure if thats calendar days or working days)

The Standard tier has a turn-around of 10 working days; however, the current turn-around is almost 3 times that (28 working days).

Why have an estimated turn-around column when you're stating the current turn-around?

I also do not wish to pile on, but I have a beef with NGC as well.

I arrived at the Philly Whitman show on Friday at 1:30 PM looking to take advantage of the Silver Dollar onsite grading special, as well as some reholders.

I was amazed and dissappointed when I was told they had left an hour prior.

Why the big rush to leave? NGC advertised they would be there Thursday and Friday, not Thursday and 2 hours on Friday.

Florida is the retirement capital of the U.S., right? Can't they hire contract graders from some of the fogies? ;)

Hey, that's not a bad idea! It's right up my alley, but would you

mind using a larger font so I can read it?

Chris

I know that it can be a real inconvenience, especially for those who intend to list the coins for quick sale, but what happens during the slow periods? Is the new grader relegated to cleaning the bathrooms, emptying trashcans and sweeping the floors? This isn't the federal government, you know.

Chris

Imagine the amount of time it would take to grade 5,000 silver coins?

Augustus

About three-fourths of one day if the grader skips his breaks.

Chris

The problem is, dealers submit monster boxes of eagles and maples, which backlog the whole process. I know a dealer who submitted 5,000 American Silver Eagles to PCGS for grading. Imagine the amount of time it would take to grade 5,000 silver coins?

Augustus

They should just randomly pick out like 2% and make 1% MS70 and 1% MS68 and mark the rest MS69...just my opinion but does it really matter on those?

The problem is, dealers submit monster boxes of eagles and maples, which backlog the whole process. I know a dealer who submitted 5,000 American Silver Eagles to PCGS for grading. Imagine the amount of time it would take to grade 5,000 silver coins?

Augustus

They should just randomly pick out like 2% and make 1% MS70 and 1% MS68 and mark the rest MS69...just my opinion but does it really matter on those?

That's the PCGS method of grading moderns, and they might sue NGC for infringement if that happened lol !

That's the PCGS method of grading moderns, and they might sue NGC for infringement if that happened lol !

Really? I thought they just spun a Roulette wheel. meh

jom

I wonder if I will get my HTT's back before the next hurricane hits? I did the Early Bird which says 13 days at the moment. Because I submiitted two different submission forms, one with 2 on it and one with 1 HTT on it, I have already been charged double postage despite writing on the forms to combine for shipping. Thanks for that. I submitted at ANA on August 18-19. Lessee, assuming the clock started the next Monday, August 22, that means it has been 19 buisness days since I submitted. That is 6 days beyond your stated 13 days yet no word from NGC (they send me an email when shipped). Looks like you have a problem NGC, I hope you read this thread and provide a viable response to all of us, does not look good for you at the moment.......

Best, HT

Really? I thought they just spun a Roulette wheel. meh

jom

They tested that method but the wheel took too long to come to a stop and it slowed down the grading process which spawned forum posts about the slow grading and created general discontent among the submitters and run on sentences among the forum members so they went to a simple computer random number generator that pre-prints the lables allowing them to skip the grader completely and send the coins directly to the sealing process.

Don't delude yourself into believing your older coins get any more than the 7-10 seconds that moderns do, unless you've paid for the extra "attribution" piece of things like Newcomb numbers and what not. The bottleneck is the sheer number of things being submitted, like thousands of "San Francisco" ASEs etc.

One possible solution would be to keep the bullion items out of the coin queue.

Just a useless thought, since I am not at all familiar with the process.

If the choke point is bullion, would it not assist to have individuals assigned to just the bullion task, even if it is a temporary basis until the choke point clears? These individuals would be in addition to those that are on Board now.

I have seen the Submission Form, and I am curious how a person/company can fill out a submission for 5,000 coins, and expect that the turn around time will be as stated, or that the Grading Company can honor such a request/time table and not have a Plan to solve the issues that are brought to light in this Thread.

Respectfully,(of course).

John Curlis

They tested that method but the wheel took too long to come to a stop and it slowed down the grading process which spawned forum posts about the slow grading and created general discontent among the submitters and run on sentences among the forum members so they went to a simple computer random number generator that pre-prints the lables allowing them to skip the grader completely and send the coins directly to the sealing process.

Which PCGS later named the "Secure Plus" program.

lol

jom

A faster turn-around time would certainly generate additional submissions for NGC, and will put NGC in a better competitive position, so it absolutely needs to be done. Hopefully this thread will receive an official response.

Might there be an explanation for recent slow downs such as persons being away on medical leave or vacation?

In any case, I've no complaints of my own, my submissions have all been received back within an acceptable time, although none were very recent.

Which PCGS later named the "Secure Plus" program.

lol

jom

I knew that I was leaving something important out. (thumbs u

A faster turn-around time would certainly generate additional submissions for NGC, and will put NGC in a better competitive position, so it absolutely needs to be done.

And the additional submissions would put them right back into the position they are in now.

Why is it people seem to think that there is a big pool of very highly qualified "word class" graders out there and the major TPG's can just go out and pick up another one or two of them like McDonalds does fry cooks? It reminds me of one of the comments about Obama's healthcare plan. The critics said that with all the people coming in under the program that there weren't going to be enough doctors. The supporters said "well just have the medical schools accept more students". Medical schools make admissions tough and only take the best so the doctors will be the best. Taking in more students means lowering standards so more pass the entrance tests. Same thing for the TPG's They want the best and they try to get them. To just hire more graders because you need warm bodies would mean a lowering of standards. You want your coins faster, but are you willing to have them graded by a sub-standard grader in order to get them faster?