• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some quick help with an 1809 bust half

18 posts in this topic

Ok, I am at the coin club show today, and I am heading back there in an hour since I am volunteering at the show, so any quick help would be appreciated.

I saw an 1809 bust half there, one of my favorite dates, and it looked like it was copper. At first I thought maybe it was struck on a large cent planchet, but it had some silver coloring on it that looked like it was wearing off, so maybe it was a counterfeit, perhaps a contemporary, perhaps not. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I am intrigued, but not enough to waste $100 on a worthless coin just to satisfy my curiosity!

Thanks for any insights!

Well, it's too late, I passed on it. The coin was about 0.3g light, but that could have been from wear. I talked with the dealer about it and had my overton book, seemed to be an O-103, and he thought it was like that since it had been in a fire. James, if you really want it, let me know and I'll see if I can pick it up for you at the next show.

Hey buff, IS THAT YOURS?!?!?!

In the first place, the coin pictured is not a half dollar much less an 1809 half, (so the relevance to this thread totally escapes me).

In the second place the coin pictured is a 1794 pattern dollar in copper owned by the Smithsonian in D.C..

In the first place, the coin pictured is not a half dollar much less an 1809 half, (so the relevance to this thread totally escapes me).

In the second place the coin pictured is a 1794 pattern dollar in copper owned by the Smithsonian in D.C..

I think Buffalo Head posted the silver pattern to demonstrate that silver coins can develop a patina that has a coppery look.

Ok, I am at the coin club show today, and I am heading back there in an hour since I am volunteering at the show, so any quick help would be appreciated.

I saw an 1809 bust half there, one of my favorite dates, and it looked like it was copper. At first I thought maybe it was struck on a large cent planchet, but it had some silver coloring on it that looked like it was wearing off, so maybe it was a counterfeit, perhaps a contemporary, perhaps not. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I am intrigued, but not enough to waste $100 on a worthless coin just to satisfy my curiosity!

Thanks for any insights!

It has been a while since I pulled out my bust half dollars and large cents, but the diameter of both, from my memory, was quite different. I would expect that if it was a Bust Half struck on a large cent planchet, the diameter would be much smaller, and there would be much more than a 0.3g difference in weight.

The 1808 and 1809 bust halves very often were struck on planchets that were slightly larger in diameter than average for the overall series. I don't know why this is true, but that's definitely been my experience.

I think Buffalo Head posted the silver pattern to demonstrate that silver coins can develop a patina that has a coppery look.

The coin that Buff posted is copper. Not silver.

Astute observation...... it is in fact the only copper pattern made for America's first dollar coin..... unique, and as such a priceless national treasure.

Well, it's too late, I passed on it. The coin was about 0.3g light, but that could have been from wear. I talked with the dealer about it and had my overton book, seemed to be an O-103, and he thought it was like that since it had been in a fire. James, if you really want it, let me know and I'll see if I can pick it up for you at the next show.

What they heck - if it's still out there, please get it for me, and I'll pay you $10 for the hassle :) . Sounds like fun!

Astute observation...... it is in fact the only copper pattern made for America's first dollar coin..... unique, and as such a priceless national treasure.

True that.