• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2-1913 Type 2 Buffalo Nickel's. Which one is the one? Help me out....

44 posts in this topic

Joe, more light and good pictures doesn't make the coin itself any prettier. I hate to tell you, but that's an ugly nickel by your standards. I myself wouldn't grade it any higher than 63, I don't care what number is on the plastic (although I wouldn't be surprised with a 64). The other coin you show is a 65, any day (but its not quite up to your usual level). meh, if I had your collection of Buffalo's, I'd pass on both of them.

^ This

jom

Physics Fan, Jom, Bob....I know you all have been around for a long time and have always looked to your posts as educating, and fun, so I'm glad you chimed in along with others. The reason for this post of mine is.... I have owned this ms-65 for many years, I also purchased it raw

055-1.jpg

I have recently picked this other raw 13 type 2 and was comparing it "in hand" to this 65. At this point, I'm sorry to say, I'm sure it's my imaging skills that's holding your opinion of this graded 65 to a 64 because in hand it looks to me to be graded correctly. But if ya all think it's a 64 then that means my raw one is more than likely a 64 also..... So I'm sorry for raking you over the coals with all the second guesses and all but Bobby did get it right and I never ever suggested it was not a 65, Jom....lol... Thank you all for playing along. But I wonder if my raw one has a shot a 66? Na....Just want to say the 1913 ttype 2 is a tougher coin than you may think in 65 and higher, at least the nice ones....

Based on your images, I think the raw Buffer has a great chance to make 66. BTW I don't think the MS65 coin is fugly. It's not quite as fabulous as some of your Buffs are, but I like it very much.

Based on your images, I think the raw Buffer has a great chance to make 66. BTW I don't think the MS65 coin is fugly. It's not quite as fabulous as some of your Buffs are, but I like it very much.

I agree. Btw, I used my ANA grading book for this Buff and all details took me to the MS65 grade. It fits the grade IMO.

That second photo doesn't show the spots. Another photo miracle. lol

Whatever the case, the coin overgraded IMO...based on the photo. Why? In this case, the strike. Then again, PCGS has never been consistent here...

jom

I'll reiterate: MS63

I won't go 58 because the first sign of wear is on the Buff's hip...and I don't see that.

jom

You can have rub in lower areas of a coin as well. Perhaps the two coins only touched in certain places. Look at the number of true AU58 coins that were holdered many years ago that had no wear on the devices, but only the tiniest interruption of luster, bringing the coin down to AU58.

I would have graded the coin MS64+ personally.

You can have rub in lower areas of a coin as well. Perhaps the two coins only touched in certain places. Look at the number of true AU58 coins that were holdered many years ago that had no wear on the devices, but only the tiniest interruption of luster, bringing the coin down to AU58.

You can have rub anywhere. But as the coin gets handled the first place is usually the Buff's hip...generally speaking. All of this doesn't matter with this coin as it didn't show on this coin. Could have there been wear elsewhere by happen-chance? Sure but there's a good change you won't see that with a photo.

As to what the TPGs did years ago....I don't really recall. I think those near MS coins that are slapped with AU55 or 58 labels are stuck in a black hole unfairly. They, in many cases, should be valued FAR more. So maybe the TPGs have adjusted to this by market grading them higher. I don't know.

To me wear is just another thing that can "happen" to a coin right along with strike weakness or lackluster or hits/marks. It should be treated the same but there are many years of history behind the Unc vs. Circ thing that may not allow recognition of this. In the meantime, we can grab as many choice AU pieces at a fraction of the cost.

jom

Seeing as how I missed the grading fun, I will say that regardless of holder grade of the second coin, the raw coin is superior in strike, color and grade. Then that's just my opinion. BTW. My AU55 has the same black spots as the PCGS coin and I hate them, that alone would make my decision as to which coin to keep. I would keep number one regardless of how it grades.

Jim

Seeing as how I missed the grading fun, I will say that regardless of holder grade of the second coin, the raw coin is superior in strike, color and grade. Then that's just my opinion. BTW. My AU55 has the same black spots as the PCGS coin and I hate them, that alone would make my decision as to which coin to keep. I would keep number one regardless of how it grades.

Jim

I'm with Jason... heck for all we know... it could be a 66!

Thank you Jim and Sam....

If ya don't like spots then ya won't like this 1916 NGC 64 either. I find this coin well struck and the surface of the planchet is gorgeous and very appealing, especially for a 64. The spots don't bother me although they were not always there, at least I have never noticed them untill about 5 years ago. I've owned this coin for over 15 years or so and I've become attached to it, weird. Thanks again for all the help and comments, it is appreciated......Joe

059-1.jpg

056-2.jpg

051-3.jpg

I've owned this coin for over 15 years or so and I've become attached to it, weird.

Funny how that happens, isn't it? We develop attachments to these coins, for some reason. There are a few coins that I know I could never bring myself to sell, even if I had to sell my entire collection. I mean, there's no reason for it, they're just shiny round lumps of metal.

I've owned this coin for over 15 years or so and I've become attached to it, weird.

Funny how that happens, isn't it? We develop attachments to these coins, for some reason. There are a few coins that I know I could never bring myself to sell, even if I had to sell my entire collection. I mean, there's no reason for it, they're just shiny round lumps of metal.

The fact is the coins I've managed to hold onto the longest are the ones I don't want to sell. I sold my 25-S to Joe and it was difficult since I had it 8 years. However, right after that Joe inquired about my 23-P and I wouldn't sell it. I've owned it for 17 years....but it's not even as special as the 25-S. Bizzaro...

jom

The fact is the coins I've managed to hold onto the longest are the ones I don't want to sell. I sold my 25-S to Joe and it was difficult since I had it 8 years. However, right after that Joe inquired about my 23-P and I wouldn't sell it. I've owned it for 17 years....but it's not even as special as the 25-S. Bizzaro...

jom

Lets see it....