• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disappointed with Heritage (re-titled)

91 posts in this topic

Actually, I've had a change of heart, I've now decided to collect old slabs that have heritage stickers glued on the back of them.

Regarding comics, probably best to write your name and address on the front of them with a Sharpie in case you misplace them.

Heritage sells coins, not slabs, and they have been putting stickers in that location since time immemorial.

The coin that was occupying the slab you bought, an MS64 1842 half dime, cost you significantly less than 4 out of the 5 most recent such coins Heritage has sold. Also, while not totally peeled off, the hologram on the slab was already somewhat compromised before the sticker was put on it. If you really feel the coin was ruined, I'll pay you BU details money for it, and you are welcome to go after Heritage for the difference.

I'll match his offer and raise you $20. :D

Here is is

I would be upset over this sticker problem too. I sure can not understand why in the heck they have to put it in that area. I'm amazed at this, don't they know this is a problem and the hologram will be destroyed?? ....Joe

Here is is

I would be upset over this sticker problem too. I sure can not understand (1) why in the heck they have to put it in that area. I'm amazed at this, (2) don't they know this is a problem and (3) the hologram will be destroyed?? ....Joe

1. It's the most convenient spot to put a label - always has been.

2. No, and for almost all of their customers it isn't a problem.

3. Since it's not seen as a problem, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

If you perceive an issue with sticker placement, bring it up with Heritage. Every time I've spoken with them, they've been very professional and helpful. Have an alternative ready to discuss, like putting a piece of paper or Post-it over the hologram and then the label over that, thus shielding the hologram from the label adhesive while still allowing the label to be put there.

Here is is

I would be upset over this sticker problem too. I sure can not understand why in the heck they have to put it in that area. I'm amazed at this, don't they know this is a problem and the hologram will be destroyed?? ....Joe

Where do you propose they place it, instead?

Apparently, for security and efficiency reasons, they choose to have a sticker on each side of the slab - and I can't blame them for that. As mentioned previously, I think their choice is to cover up part of the hologram or part of the coin. Which way would you rather have covered up?

Well I think the coin needs to be cleaned anyway since there's just too much tarnish on it, so I'll just crack it out and rub steel wool all over it followed by a baking soda paste rub -- then put in the rock tumbler for 24 hours, that's the way to clean these things right?

Wow, it's a good thing you don't collect comics. I just looked and Comiclink put a 1 inch by 3 inch sticker on my slab. I am not sure how big Heritage's sticker is on CGC slabs. The item inside the holder is what's important. Try to remember you are collecting the coin, not the slab.

While I agree with you about the present state of things with comic book collectors not caring about the condition of the holders as long as the comics are in tact...the same is not true of a small but dedicated group of vintage holder collectors within the coin collecting community. The condition of the slab dictates the amount of premium the slab/coin combo are worth to other such collectors. I know it's silly but I play in that same pool and in most cases...the plastic is more important then what's inside. Try to pick up an NGC 1.0 black holder...it could have a circulated 1958-D Lincoln in it and you could probably still get $1,000 for it.

In the case of this coin it's a shame that you were not aware of the sticker situation with heritage as it has been that way forever and a day and heritage and most other collectors would have no issue with the hologram coming off on the holder. I feel your pain but all I can say is do not buy old holders from heritage going forward as there is always a chance of this happening.

Well I think the coin needs to be cleaned anyway since there's just too much tarnish on it, so I'll just crack it out and rub steel wool all over it followed by a baking soda paste rub -- then put in the rock tumbler for 24 hours, that's the way to clean these things right?

And the point of this post is? :signofftopic:

Here is the sticker before Heritage stuck their on in.

Why did the ruin my coin?

I think you mean, "why did they ruin my slab?" ;) .

I agree to much extent. I utterly hate those stickers on the back of my coins as well, and there's really no excuse. There are labels available that will cling well to these slabs, yet will peel up readily without damaging the underlying surface. I am pretty sure GreatCollections uses labels with such adhesive.

Why glue a sticker on it at all? If they are so compelled they have to put such a thing on a slabbed coin, then put it right over the area of the coin, since it's gonna get peeled off anyway, it doesn't matter --- don't paste it over a security device -- that's just retarded.

There is a reason TPG's put color-changing security stickers on the back of the slabs -- only to be defeated by heritage sticking their unwanted junk on top of it for no reason.

Teletrade doesn't do this, I think they will be my preferred seller for my business.

CAC has the good sense to paste small stickers in an acceptable area.

This debate is about proper business practices, not my coin -- it is used as a specific example. off customers (and decreasing perceived value) is not an intelligent business plan.

Also, here is a picture of the reverse of the coin/holder of what was advertised....I did not receive it as advertised.

That's my point.

115459.jpg.bf0d2b3ef5606a530c330c7cf2b11d52.jpg

Why glue a sticker on it at all? If they are so compelled they have to put such a thing on a slabbed coin, then put it right over the area of the coin, since it's gonna get peeled off anyway, it doesn't matter --- don't paste it over a security device -- that's just retarded.

There is a reason TPG's put color-changing security stickers on the back of the slabs -- only to be defeated by heritage sticking their unwanted junk on top of it for no reason.

Teletrade doesn't do this, I think they will be my preferred seller for my business.

CAC has the good sense to paste small stickers in an acceptable area.

This debate is about proper business practices, not my coin -- it is used as a specific example. off customers (and decreasing perceived value) is not an intelligent business plan.

That's my point.

Are you serious? The stickers are there during lot viewing - obviously they can't be placed over the area where the coin is.

And has been stated previously, Heritage is by no means the only company that does it. There is a very good reason for it, despite what you say.

What CAC does is irrelevant to this discussion. They don't sell coins via auction, that have to be counted, organized and accounted for, during and after the time that countless people are viewing the coins.

Stickers are NOT placed there during lot viewing (at least via internet). Per this pic.

Obviously they are placed after the coin is imaged, and if buyers are buying based on what is imaged and advertised, buyers should expect to receive as such.

This is the image available to online buyers as posted by Heritage.

Thanks for the debate.

115460.jpg.80e6b8f5ff5ffd807c4c550ebf74a755.jpg

Isn't the sticker just used by heritage to mark a lot# or so? I don't see why they just couldn't stick it around the edges of the slab. Or if possible, make a smaller sticker that would fit elsewhere better.

Isn't the sticker just used by heritage to mark a lot# or so? I don't see why they just couldn't stick it around the edges of the slab. Or if possible, make a smaller sticker that would fit elsewhere better.

Thank You.

Here is is

Apparently, for security and efficiency reasons, they choose to have a sticker on each side of the slab - and I can't blame them for that. As mentioned previously, I think their choice is to cover up part of the hologram or part of the coin. Which way would you rather have covered up?

How about NO sticker at all? Hmmmm, or, they can just put the sticker on the envoice. I'm sure they just have to have that sticker somewhere and I know just where they can put it. But I can't say it here on this forum....Why would ANY buyer like this?

Stickers are NOT placed there during lot viewing (at least via internet). Per this pic.

Obviously they are placed after the coin is imaged, and if buyers are buying based on what is imaged and advertised, buyers should expect to receive as such.

This is the image available to online buyers as posted by Heritage.

Thanks for the debate.

I attend lot viewing several times per year and there are stickers on each side of the holders. Please get your facts straight.

Here is is

How about NO sticker at all? Hmmmm, or, they can just put the sticker on the envoice. I'm sure they just have to have that sticker somewhere and I know just where they can put it. But I can't say it here on this forum....Why would ANY buyer like this?

At the very least, they want/need the stickers on each side of the holder for continually checking the coins in the boxes during lot viewing, for purposes of counting them and security considerations. And if they are too small, they wont serve their purpose adequately. Sorry if you guys think that's unreasonable.

I wonder what security reasons they have for putting a sticker on an area of the slab that will hurt it's appearance?

Because that is likely their best choice, all things considered.

That's a great idea, I like it. It's a sticker that as far as I'm concerned does not even need to be there, at all.....Joe

Have an alternative ready to discuss, like putting a piece of paper or Post-it over the hologram and then the label over that, thus shielding the hologram from the label adhesive while still allowing the label to be put there.
Someone calling Heritage and sugesting this seems to be the best idea yet, for those that are bothered by this.

Hopefully this post may actually HELP heritage. Regarding the coin, I like it, and I'll keep it (like Nixon's Checker's speech if anyone is old enough to remember that).

Regarding buyers, most of us (like me) bid on the lots based upon images rather than seeing the coin "in hand". In this case, the image did not show a sticker pasted over the back of the slab....and yes I did base my bid on the old green fatty slab like it or not. In my view the coin/slab I bid on was "altered".

If one is bidding on a coin and not the slab, why should I expect to receive nothing else than just the raw coin, busted out from the slab, afterall heritage is just selling the coin right??? NOW THAT'S A GOOD POINT!

Perhaps someone with influence, instead of trying to defend heritage should actually try to admit to their flaws and instead work to improve heritage's practices.

Hopefully this post may actually HELP heritage. Regarding the coin, I like it, and I'll keep it (like Nixon's Checker's speech if anyone is old enough to remember that).

Regarding buyers, most of us (like me) bid on the lots based upon images rather than seeing the coin "in hand". In this case, the image did not show a sticker pasted over the back of the slab....and yes I did base my bid on the old green fatty slab like it or not. In my view the coin/slab I bid on was "altered".

If one is bidding on a coin and not the slab, why should I expect to receive nothing else than just the raw coin, busted out from the slab, afterall heritage is just selling the coin right??? NOW THAT'S A GOOD POINT!

Perhaps someone with influence, instead of trying to defend heritage should actually try to admit to their flaws and instead work to improve heritage's practices.

Have you contacted them directly, with constructive suggestions, as opposed to ranting (in part unfairly and inaccurately) here about it? If so, best of luck.

Well, ranting and raving unfairly????

Inaccurate??? State a single thing that you claim is "inaccurate"....just 1.

That's a bit extreme and really not called for on your part.

I am just trying to debate a point of view and exercise freedom of speech....whether one agrees or disagrees is fine, isn't that why forums like this exist?

First, I do not work for heritage, and I do not work for free. Why should I contact them? I am keeping the coin, there is absolutely no reason for me to contact them whatsoever.

WHY WOULD I DO THAT????

I just can decline to do business with them in the future until they get it together.

Thank You

BTW, I respect Mr. Feld -- we only disagree when he is wrong.

I place all of my slabbed coins in a plastic, inert sleeve. They fit snuggly, the sleeves are completely transparent, and the sleeves prevent scratching and finger printing of the slab. In addition, the sleeve could be used for any stickers that Heritage wants to put on the slab that don't obstruct the view of the coin.

When photographing the coin, or inspecting the coin in great detail with a loupe, I remove my coins from the sleeves, but when storing my coins or browsing at my coins I leave them in the sleeves. The particular brand of sleeve I use is that in the photo attached. These are intended for Vintage size sporting cards, but they fit perfectly PCGS and NGC slabs.

I am with the OP. These stickers are annoying. For posterity and as a form of bookkeeping, I peel off the Heritage stickers and replace them onto the sleeve of my coins from Heritage...as a means of remembering the Lot number and referring to the Heritage database at a later date.

EDIT: You can get 500 of these sleeves here for less than $10 shipped.

115466.jpg.c685db00d9f920556460496a54b0edf5.jpg

Well, ranting and raving unfairly????

Inaccurate??? State a single thing that you claim is "inaccurate"....just 1.

That's a bit extreme and really not called for on your part.

I am just trying to debate a point of view and exercise freedom of speech....whether one agrees or disagrees is fine, isn't that why forums like this exist?

First, I do not work for heritage, and I do not work for free. Why should I contact them? I am keeping the coin, there is absolutely no reason for me to contact them whatsoever.

WHY WOULD I DO THAT????

I just can decline to do business with them in the future until they get it together.

Thank You

BTW, I respect Mr. Feld -- we only disagree when he is wrong.

You initially stated that the stickers aren't on the holders during lot viewing.

That was incorrect.

You said "Still waiting for someone to claim responsibility. I doubt no one will step up"

That was unfair, since Heritage was probably unaware of this thread.

You wrote "Why did the ruin my coin?"

They didn't ruin your coin.

You wrote: "..only to be defeated by heritage sticking their unwanted junk on top of it for no reason."

They obviously do have a reason, even if you disagree with it.

You wrote "First, I do not work for heritage, and I do not work for free. Why should I contact them? I am keeping the coin, there is absolutely no reason for me to contact them whatsoever. "

There certainly is a reason for you to contact them, at least if you trulyy care about this issue about which you have been ranting.

You also blamed Heritage for the package having been left at your door without a signature. That might or might not have been their fault, or that of the postal worker. That was unfair.

BUYER BEWARE.

Don't trust heritage images, and don't be surprised if they dump your purchases on your doorstep.

Others on this forum appear compelled to defend such practices and think such practices are acceptable. Fine.

I don't agree.

BUYER BEWARE.

Don't trust heritage images, and don't be surprised if they dump your purchases on your doorstep.

Others on this forum appear compelled to defend such practices and think such practices are acceptable. Fine.

I don't agree.

I see that you conveniently ignored the incorrect and unfair comments of yours which I laid out for you, after you invited me to do so. What a shock - not.

And you continue to blame Heritage for the purchases having been dumped on your doorstep. That, despite the fact that you haven't shown they were responsible. If they were, I certainly wouldn't defend them on that issue.

But at this point, that hasn't been established. And unless or until it is, you are being unfair in placing the blame for that on them.