• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - Shilling Edition

12 posts in this topic

Bought this one a while ago, and it just finally came in the mail. It is NGC graded, and absolutely stunning in hand. This particular type is extremely scarce, especially in attractive, problem free, high grade examples. William and Mary took the monarchy together in 1688, but she died in 1694 (after which William ruled alone). They only produced shillings in 1692 and 1693, and are only the second pair to produce dual portrait coins. The other pair is Phillip and Mary (a similarly short rule, and similarly scarce shilling).

So, all that to say, guess the grade on my William and Mary, and apologies for my poor pictures:

IMG_8423.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

European grading, which is as tough as nails, would be EF-40, maybe even Choice VF. These guys, at least in the 1990s, were as tough as the EAC graders. The American system should give it an AU-50, perhaps 55 in the slab.

European grading, which is as tough as nails, would be EF-40, maybe even Choice VF. These guys, at least in the 1990s, were as tough as the EAC graders. The American system should give it an AU-50, perhaps 55 in the slab.

I'm wondering, based on a number of NGC slabbed world coins I've seen, whether or not NGC grades world coins with this in mind. Their world coins usually seem to be very conservatively graded.

If that were a United States coin graded VF, you'd buy it all day long at the VF price and would be looking for a crack-out. But it's British, and that changes the approach.

XF45
(thumbs u I agree with Irvin.

Well, Bob, I did sorta tell you what the grade was ;) This is one of the ones heading your way.

Yup, NGC called it an EF-45, and I agree. There is a little too much wear to be an AU, most noticeably in ole Billy's hair, but the luster indicates a high grade. These coins are extremely scarce without problems and well struck. I've never actually seen one with this sort of toning, either, so I feel I got lucky.

XF45

Well, Bob, I did sorta tell you what the grade was ;) This is one of the ones heading your way.

I don't know or pretend to know how to grade these old shillings. Any grade I attribute is nothing but a guess. If it turns out to be the same grade as what's on the holder, then it's a lucky guess.

I didn't commit your list to memory and wasn't even sure if that coin was on the list or if there were any grades assigned to any coins on the list. I did go to your PM after " agreeing" with Irvin's grade to see again what was on the list. I was satisfied after looking that the coin was not only listed, but at the grade that was my first impression.

XF45

I don't know or pretend to know how to grade these old shillings. Any grade I attribute is nothing but a guess. If it turns out to be the same grade as what's on the holder, then it's a lucky guess.

I didn't commit your list to memory and wasn't even sure if that coin was on the list or if there were any grades assigned to any coins on the list. I did go to your PM after " agreeing" with Irvin's grade to see again what was on the list. I was satisfied after looking that the coin was not only listed, but at the grade that was my first impression.

Haha, just giving you a hard time Bob. No worries :hi::foryou: