• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Half Dollars in Jewelry Rings- take them off?

11 posts in this topic

Hi I'm back- I'm working on improving my scans on those mints sets- here's another question- I have three old halves- I'm posting in the halves thread- with these old jewelery rings- my question is- should I remove them? Looks easy enough- what do you guys think? Thanks. I'll post one here- see the others in the early halves thread-

If you want this coin to fill a space in an album then remove the mounting. I see 2 dings in the mounting at 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock that may or may not have transferred to the coins rim. In any case, since the coin was used as jewelry it is in AU details condition but still could be a nice album filler.

If you are looking to sell then leave it alone and sell as is.

Carl

Remove it ...... It appears to be held in by a screw in a simple compression clamp (just like a hose clamp on a vehicle radiator hose)...... I doubt that the rim is damaged, but if it is, simply replace the coin back into the clamp and tighten the screw if you feel obliged to do so.

By the looks of it, doesn't look like it may be damaged to me also. The little dents may actually have been put in there to keep it held tighter if it was a loose fit. I don't see any soldering points. I would open it up and see if she falls right out. On a nice soft cloth of course.

from what i can see based on the coin my opinion is to leave them as is where is

if it aint broke dont fix it

unless it is a rare coin and/or a much better r-5+ variety

from what i can see based on the coin my opinion is to leave them as is where is

if it aint broke dont fix it

unless it is a rare coin and/or a much better r-5+ variety

I agree with Michael. You could sell it 'as is' and still make as much or more on it. Unless, you are interested in it for yourself but it is nothing more than an esoteric Bust Half. It would make a cool necklace.

Thanks to all of you for the comments. Soon I will want to sell these but not yet. My inclination is to pick the lease valuable and try removing it and see how it goes. I looked at the dents in the rims that were mentioned- I can't see that the coin is damaged by them but who knows. There is no solder or glue that I can see- one tiny screw. I won't be able to get to this tonight so if you think it is a mistake please post as I will check here before proceeding- I do think that they have probably helped protect the coins so far- don't know what these were used for if they were used at all. Thanks,

Remove it ...... It appears to be held in by a screw in a simple compression clamp (just like a hose clamp on a vehicle radiator hose)...... I doubt that the rim is damaged, but if it is, simply replace the coin back into the clamp and tighten the screw if you feel obliged to do so.

Agree. If the rim is damaged, you can always put it back into the bezel. You may have to put a drop of penetrating oil on the screw and let it set over night to help loosen the screw threads.