• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some new Vintage slabs I picked up off Ebay...got lucky!!!

26 posts in this topic

For those who prefer to buy the coin and not the holder...I will unbderstand if you want to back out of this thread now before you waste any more of your time lol For those collectors interested in old PCGS Doily's or NGC 2.0 & 2.1 holders then you might find this thread of interest. While I was searching through all NGC slabbed coins last week I ran across a seller with (3) NGC 2.0's and (2) NGC 2.1 old holders with Morgans. Being this is right up my alley I placed strong bids on all 5 of the coins and I sat back for a few days waiting to get blown out of the water. As luck would have it the coins went largely unnoticed until close to the end and I was able to snag (2) of the NGC 2.0's and (1) of the 2.1's. The other NGC 2.1 started jumping up price wise with less than an hour to go and I dropped out of the bidding at around $260 as I didn't feel like paying $300 for an MS64 Morgan with no toning even for a rare slab. There was a toned 2.0 that I really wanted but I got snipped with seconds left and didn't get another bid in so I have no clue what it would have looked like in hand.

All of the coins were scanned and the images were really bleached out so their was no real way to see quality or colors. Any way for those who like this sort of thing here are my images of the coins....I think they are all PQ for the assigned grade and at least 1 would upgrade today for sure, while one is borderline and the last coin is nice for the grade but in the correct holder. (thumbs u

New050.jpg

New052.jpg

New057.jpg

New061.jpg

New064.jpg

New067.jpg

and here is a 4th coin I picked up from the seller...not a 2.1 but still a nice coin with descent color for a good price:

New045.jpg

New047.jpg

Nice pick ups, Shane. I've got a 1946-D Walker that has the same gold embossed back label, but the front label is bordered in light green and there is an image of scales under the numbers also in light green.

Do you know what generation label that is ?

Carl

I must say that I love those coins just as much as those old holders. I DO have an appreciation for vintage slabs (someday I will pick up a few, too) but those are some FINE looking coins in there, as well. Very lustrous with nice golden and blue rim-tone! SWEEEET!! That's a double great deal!!

I've got a 1946-D Walker that has the same gold embossed back label, but the front label is bordered in light green and there is an image of scales under the numbers also in light green.

Do you know what generation label that is ?

That would be NGC 3. Is the embossed back label on the outside of the holder? There is a single specimen known that has the bordered front label with the embossed back label on the inside insert as was done on NGC 1 and NGC 2.1 The order of issue was NGC 1, 2.1, 2, & 3. So the currently unique piece is a mule of the front of 3 and the reverse of 2.1

Thanks, the embossed label is on the outside so by your description Gen 3.

Shane, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. Your post just got me curious as to what generation slab I had. :signofftopic:

Carl

I have an old, dog-eared version of Conder's NGC slab generations that I printed and have been using for years. I agree that these older holders are hard to come by (at reasonable prices).

However, I thought that having the green bean would enhance the holders when viewed as a group. So, I have been submitting some of the 'pre-barcode Walker short set' to CAC. At this point I have 13 of the 22 Walkers with CAC stickers, 2 with gold stickers - and they do look good when viewed as a set. Some of these Walkers (pre-CAC) are included in my sig set.

Andy

I have an old, dog-eared version of Conder's NGC slab generations that I printed and have been using for years. I agree that these older holders are hard to come by (at reasonable prices).

However, I thought that having the green bean would enhance the holders when viewed as a group. So, I have been submitting some of the 'pre-barcode Walker short set' to CAC. At this point I have 13 of the 22 Walkers with CAC stickers, 2 with gold stickers - and they do look good when viewed as a set. Some of these Walkers (pre-CAC) are included in my sig set.

Andy

I think the green bean really works for a set idea....not so sure about a few mixed date Morgans but again I haven't ruled out the posibility hm

Shane,

You should already know how I feel about your "taste" when it comes to Morgans. That is why I don't quite understand your reasoning for the 1896. I think you should get rid of it right away. You already have my address.

Chris

Shane,

You should already know how I feel about your "taste" when it comes to Morgans. That is why I don't quite understand your reasoning for the 1896. I think you should get rid of it right away. You already have my address.

Chris

I'll take free coins anyday!!! :takeit:

Shane,

Chris

Send me your address again and I will get it heading your way (thumbs u

This thread and conder101's thread on NGC slabs have actually got me intersted in the history of slabbing, and I have kind of got the bug. I picked this one up in tonights teletrade auction

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3133&lot=1552

and I looked thru my safe and found I have a 3.0 I had no clue about, or ever would have if it wasn't for these threads, thanks guys.

Nick

That's Awesome, Nick! Your new Morgan w/vintage slab AND your new interest!!

These boards DO get you thinking and bring things to your attention that you, otherwise, may not have known or thought about. It has happened to me, too.

They are a wealth of information!!

I noticed something that may be a bit interesting about that Teletrade lot. If you flip through the Teletrade lots you will notice that the Teletrade logo typically covers the reverse label. But on that lot it is apparently deliberately placed lower so you can see the impressed NGC logo and you can tell whether it is inside or outside the plastic shell. In other words so you can tell if this is an NGC 2 or 2.1 It makes me wonder whether they are deliberately trying to help the collector of scarce slabs as well.

ok just so im clear, do the NGC 3 holders have light green labels AND brown labels like the NGC 4's?

Also thanks guys on the kind words, I was expecting this slab to go for much more, I hopefully will stumble across more deals, but from what I have seen, this is just beginers luck.

I noticed something that may be a bit interesting about that Teletrade lot. If you flip through the Teletrade lots you will notice that the Teletrade logo typically covers the reverse label. But on that lot it is apparently deliberately placed lower so you can see the impressed NGC logo and you can tell whether it is inside or outside the plastic shell. In other words so you can tell if this is an NGC 2 or 2.1 It makes me wonder whether they are deliberately trying to help the collector of scarce slabs as well.

Probably, since it'll likely beef up the price.

ok just so im clear, do the NGC 3 holders have light green labels AND brown labels like the NGC 4's?

That is what I have been told. I can't personally confirm it because I am colorblind and to me both of them look the same. I have had people try and show me the difference and I am just unable to see it. If they do come in two different colors then the light green would be the earlier of the two.