• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickel. What do ya think the grade is? Gade revealed, page

31 posts in this topic

Here I have a very nice 1913 type 1 I picked up raw. I have submitted this coin for grading and I have it back now. Soooo, what do ya think it graded?

1913superbuffs001.jpg

1913superbuffs006.jpg

This is one of my favorite Buffs......Joe

I have no idea how to grade these but my question is how in the world do you find these raw all the time? It seems like barely a week goes by without you posting another great pickup!

I have no idea how to grade these but my question is how in the world do you find these raw all the time? It seems like barely a week goes by without you posting another great pickup!

I look & look & look & sometimes I get lucky. I payed $38.00 for this lovely Buff, it was the seller price and I did not squable.....I love to buy raw coins. I have been collecting for many, many years. I feel comfortable buying raw Buffs as I have handled so many at this point, I feel confidant in my abilities to get it right...

I look & look & look & sometimes I get lucky. I payed $38.00 for this lovely Buff, it was the seller price and I did not squable.....

Oh...you didn't "squable". How big of you. meh

lol

jom

EDIT: Oh yeah...I forgot to guess the grade. 65 or 66 with a "star" or "green clover" or something.

MS66 STAR as well. I was going to go 67, but there are a couple of spots that make me bring it back to 66 and might even make it a 65.

On another note, the color is spectacular. And, I know your photography skills so I'd say the coins looks the same in hand!

The coin is very pretty, but I would not be 100% sure that it will grade. I had a very attractively toned late date Buffalo nickel that I prized at one time. When I sent in for grading however, it got body bagged as AT. :(

No matter how many times I see your NEWP I'm always so impressed with the vivid colors you seem to find.

I'm going to go with 64-65. The limitting factor may be the weak strike on Liberty and States.

BTW rarely mentioned in your threads are your picture taking ability. Awesome!

The coin is very pretty, but I would not be 100% sure that it will grade. I had a very attractively toned late date Buffalo nickel that I prized at one time. When I sent in for grading however, it got body bagged as AT. :(

If they BB a 1913-P Type 1 nickel that looks like that they are clueless. Then again it really isn't about AT, it's about MA. And, again, if they BB that coin they haven't looked what they've already graded in the past that got slabbed. I've seen 100s of 1913-P that look just like that in holders.

jom

This is a coin that as soon as I could I presented it to some folks who know more than I do, and handle very high dollar Buffs, one of these folks is Andy at "Angel dees" I like Andy and look to him for advice and Buffs from time to time. He and others have all said 66, Andy said 67 if not for the tiny little spec on the obverse. The luster is very strong,"BOOMING" on this Buff the color is just what ya see and I very much appreciate the comments on my imaging, I enjoy take images of my Buffs as much as I enjoy collecting these beauties.

Now to the assigned grade. MS-64 star. Now it does deserve a star as the eye appeal is superb, but the 64 ? I NEVER complain about the grades assigned, ever. I not saying I have had Buffs returned with grades I don't agree with, I even have bought Buffs with grades I don't agree with. But this time it's way off. I have never been so disappointed. I would have accepted 65 with out to much sweat, but 64? I can not see a 64 no matter how I look at this beauty. So, I wonder what I'm missing here? There is a slight weakness in the knot of the Indian, and the weakness in the "ES" of states as "Dcoin" pointed out, but not the "Liberty" on the obverse as I feel it's quite strong. But with that said, I'm still at 66, the rest of the coin is just amazing and sure does not look like any 64 I've ever seen.

Thanks again for all of the positive comments on my Buffs and especially on my imaging. The first two images are of this coin is just before I sent it off to NGC for grading, so I had an edge with the imaging not dealing with the plastic.....Joe

008.jpg

As I said previously, its fully deserving the star. I'm not seeing what is keeping at a 64 myself, unless there is something hiding in your pictures. The strike limits it somewhat, but the absence of marks and strong luster indicate a 65 at least.

Either send it in for regrade, or send it to CAC for a gold sticker.

As I said previously, its fully deserving the star. I'm not seeing what is keeping at a 64 myself, unless there is something hiding in your pictures. The strike limits it somewhat, but the absence of marks and strong luster indicate a 65 at least.

I think that would be a waste of money. That coin should easily sell for a price exceeding what 65's go for, with or without a gold sticker and with or without an upgrade to an MS65.

If I were to send it anywhere it would be to CAC. I, however, have no idea what would be envolved or how much it would cost to do so. As far a a "regrade" or "resubmit" I really don't think so unless I were to sell it and I have zero plans for that in the future even though I have many 13 type 1"s .

I think that would be a waste of money. That coin should easily sell for a price exceeding what 65's go for, with or without a gold sticker and with or without an upgrade to an MS65.

I think a the coin in a 64 * would go for over 65, but the coin in a 65* would go for even more.

:idea: Logic :idea:

I think a the coin in a 64 * would go for over 65, but the coin in a 65* would go for even more.

:idea: Logic :idea:

I have to agree with Mark, I feel it really would be a waste of money to a degree. In hand, I'm sure this coin would bring more $ than a 65* if you know what your doing. And for some that don't know what their doing would still like the coin for it's eye appeal. I'm not so sure how much of an affect to CAC would have , even gold....Joe

I have to agree with Mark, I feel it really would be a waste of money to a degree.

At the very least it's a waste of money NOW. I mean, if you aren't going to sell it who cares what the grade is?

Later on if you want to sell then do whatever you think is best. For now, save your money for more coins....

jom

that is a very nice coin

I have seen some of Angel Dees nickels and he has a great eye for

luster and eye appeal

is your coin a slider? I see some lighter colors on high areas and would need to see the coin with a loupe rather than a pic to tell if just unstruck planchett or just a very slight trace of rub

As Mark stated:

"Enjoy your coins."

It's so easy to get wrapped up in the grade of a coin that it takes away the enjoyment of ownership.

Just something to think about. :)

As Mark stated:

"Enjoy your coins."

It's so easy to get wrapped up in the grade of a coin that it takes away the enjoyment of ownership.

Just something to think about. :)

Well said. That's just what I do, I ejoy them for what they are. At least they got the star right.....lol....Joe

Without the coin inhand, I cannot fathom what NGC is seeing as a limiting factor. As I see it, from your usual gorgeous pics, it is minimumly a 65* and perhaps a 66.

Then, that is just my opinion. Congrats again, on a superior Buffalo Nickel.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim