• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880-S Morgan Silver Dollar. Please help grade

17 posts in this topic

From the pictures I would say it has nice detail but the surfaces look a bit muted for the year. It could just be the angle or lighting.

I would say MS65 maybe MS66.

I love when I get to go first...lol.

1880-S is known for having a sharp strike. Hair details and area over the ear are not sharp. Nice clear fields. Don't see any hits in focal areas. MS63 possibly 64.

Carl

Edited to add: I bet this coin looks better in hand than the pics show.

1880-S is known for having a sharp strike. Hair details and area over the ear are not sharp. Nice clear fields. Don't see any hits in focal areas. MS63 possibly 64.

Carl

I'm with Hawk. The eagle's breast feathers seem rather weak, too.

Chris

Camera did not catch the strike very well. I have a low mega pix camera. So the lighting makes this coin seem unnatural. Hairline is very bold and eagle chest feathers are strong. Pictures are not showing full detail. But It is all there. I will snap some more pictures and upload them so you can see the detail.

It looks like at least MS 64 to me, possibly higher, as the cheeks look REALLY CLEAN.

Not so sure it's as clean as it looks in that image - Coin is tilted away from camera considerably, which we all know can hide a lot. Notice marks in brow, to right of lips, and additional lines on cheek. Also looks like there may be something going on in field immediately left of face...

Coin could be nicer, but I think a straight on photo is req'd to make any real assessment here... Plastic on holder may be playing a part as well.

Camera did not catch the strike very well. I have a low mega pix camera. So the lighting makes this coin seem unnatural. Hairline is very bold and eagle chest feathers are strong. Pictures are not showing full detail. But It is all there. I will snap some more pictures and upload them so you can see the detail.

Here is an 80-S that is graded MS64DMPL by PCGS for comparison. Note the difference in the detail of the hair above the ear and the eagle's breast feathers. (The horizontal scrape on the obverse is on the slab.)

Chris

115066.jpg.13f3caf63018d9a293eeced686e8e7f6.jpg

115067.jpg.f449f4bbfe900bee5f095dfdb9bafc9d.jpg

Here is an 80-S that is graded MS64DMPL by PCGS for comparison. Note the difference in the detail of the hair above the ear and the eagle's breast feathers. (The horizontal scrape on the obverse is on the slab.)

Chris

Here is another.

101_0118-3.jpg