• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent huge Score at Local Military Credit Union.. UPDATED..

147 posts in this topic

Honorable intention because of Uniform?

Doubtful, but possible.

Trust of fellow man?

I will answer this question with a question, would you hand out $349 blindly with hopes that there were enough change in the bag (must of been a canvas bag to hold the weight and if it were the typical ziploc bag most people use to bring change to the bank you definately could see the contents easily

Not very smart?

rushed seller possibly, but even most teenagers know the difference between silver and clad coinage

Evil intent?

Too many things in the origional story (which had been edited since the run of replies to add things such as "without seeing and took his word" when it was first posted the OP even said that the coins that fell into the return tray had a different sound to it.

If we change the Uniform for a moment - a well dressed person with obvious ability to read a book, a poorly dressed street person, a person dressed in gang colors, a person with a child/dog/cat, a General/Senator/ Member of Congress, would our individual thoughts be the same?

My thoughts would not of changed reguardless of who the person was or how they were dressed

If we change the location to the local Coin Show/ Pawn Shop, or...(your choice...), would our individual thoughts be the same?

Again my thoughts would not of changed, in fact I have been in a situation simular to this and advised the guy to take the coins to a local coin shop for review as they were worth more than face value.

How is the transaction different from buying rolls at the local Bank?

Most banks are also checking the coins from those machines (generally at the request of the bank manager or bank owner)

How is this transaction different from bidding on the contents of a storage unit?

The auctions you see on TV where they find "valuable treasures" or "the wow factor" rarely happen as most storage companies sort through the contents prior to it being sold.

How is the transaction different than buying a piece of furniture at a local Church Auction and then finding hidden value inside?

Again, most situations such as this are extremely rare as the church usually inspects the items prior to offering them for sale so that they may describe the item accurately during the sale. And since the item would have most likely come from a fellow church member and the fact that it did come from the church, most of the time the purchaser would contact the church with the item they had found to inquire about how to contact the person who donated the item with hopes of returning the item that had been left inside.

Once again... The Mob is attacking.. I will clearly make it clear..

A gentleman in a Air Force pilots scrubs, was getting pissed off because his coins weren't going through the coin machine.. I heard noise, I went over and chatted, he told me he had Half dollars after I asked and told me he had Silver dollars too.

I asked him what he was asking for the coins, he told me he counted them at a earlier time, he gave me a price, I bought them, he thanked me.

I went home, opened the bags and again hit the jackpot.

I don't see nothing wrong with... But.. once again a person that didn't have any idea of saving coins, showed up and dumped his coins into a bank coin machine and the rest is history.

Some of you guys have tooooo much time on your hands, as for my grammar, well that's your problem..

I thought I would share a story, a true one..

The bank had no F-ing problem putting a machine in their bank and some teller or manager would of scored.

I am not a bad person that many think I am. RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.!!

Lastly, I am glad the bags wasn't full of Slugs huh... Then we would of had a story of how stupid I was buying something in a bag that I didn't check out.

The only thing you have made clear is that you are not a person to be trusted. You can't rationalize ethics and morality.

You said that you chatted briefly. Did you bother to explain to him that if the coins were indeed silver that they could be worth much more than face value? No! You saw a sucker, and even if the coins turned out to be just clad coins, you did not stand to lose anything. The only thing you did lose, in my eyes, was your respectability.

Chris

As usual, Mark, I Thank You for your reply and observations.

It seems we have established that there are other possibilities as to the character of the OP, and that the OP is not a terrible person that robs pocket books from little elderly ladies.

I have a slightly different thought concerning 2 of your comments, the storage unit bid and the church auction bid. In both venues, there is every opportunity to pay a fair price, because in both cases, a fair price was the winning bid, BASED ON WHAT WAS KNOWN ABOUT THE ITEM BOUGHT AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE, and it was not stated that the original owner died or died without heirs (Caps used for emphasis of Logic Posit-"wink").

Facts stated in a Post are interesting, in that the replies to the stated Facts are not necessarily based on the Facts, but on the emotion that the facts trigger.

Oh, and while you did state you would exceed the 50 word limit, and I understand your reason why, you did use 203 words........maybe a little excessive? I mean, it was 4 times higher than expected, but then again, you always are willing to push the limits for real value.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

As usual, Mark, I Thank You for your reply and observations.

It seems we have established that there are other possibilities as to the character of the OP, and that the OP is not a terrible person that robs pocket books from little elderly ladies.

I have a slightly different thought concerning 2 of your comments, the storage unit bid and the church auction bid. In both venues, there is every opportunity to pay a fair price, because in both cases, a fair price was the winning bid, BASED ON WHAT WAS KNOWN ABOUT THE ITEM BOUGHT AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE, and it was not stated that the original owner died or died without heirs (Caps used for emphasis of Logic Posit-"wink").

Facts stated in a Post are interesting, in that the replies to the stated Facts are not necessarily based on the Facts, but on the emotion that the facts trigger.

Oh, and while you did state you would exceed the 50 word limit, and I understand your reason why, you did use 203 words........maybe a little excessive? I mean, it was 4 times higher than expected, but then again, you always are willing to push the limits for real value.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John,with respect to the storage unit auction bids, at least, to me, they are different from the situation brought up in this thread. That is because the way they are set up, there is no opportunity to try to establish and pay a price for the actual contents/items at the time of purchase. In the case of the OP, had he made an effort, he might have been able to do that.

I agree that the facts, as presented here, have stirred up a lot of emotion. But I believe most of that is due to the emotion part of the OP's posts. Had he presented just the facts and not included his emotions of elation (or however you wish to characterize it), the reactions would have been very different.

Next time, I will make at least some effort to abide by your maximum word limit request for a reply to your post, even if you deserve more/better. ;)

Evil intent?

Too many things in the origional story (which had been edited since the run of replies to add things such as "without seeing and took his word" when it was first posted the OP even said that the coins that fell into the return tray had a different sound to it.

According to what was posted ATS in this thread, the story has not been edited.

Thank You, WJ.

So, is "Moral" subjective, or limited to ability to distinguish right from wrong?

Has "right" or "wrong" been established with certainty?

Has lack of Moral been established with certainty?

Or are, as Mark has elegantly suggested, responses due to elation/emotion of OP?

( 46-someone else can use the remaining 3. See, Mark, it can be done! ).

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I hope he didn't cash in his grand dads coin collection.

It sounds like he did, and you helped him do it.

(Thinking the story is BS, however.)

I'm with the "BS" crowd. How about some images.

The fact remains (as posted here by the OP and at the page you had linked that they OP heard the sound of the coins and took notice of how it sounded. Based on that I am sure he knew prior to opening the bags that the coins were in fact made of silver and were worth more than face value even at melt price. Slice it any way you wish in attempts to justify the actions, the OP still ripped off the pilot at the bank.

Edited to add:

I stand behind my thoughts on this due to the OP being an experienced coin collector. Silver has a very distinct sound when it hits something when compaired to clad. It was an educated buy with full intent on paying as low as possible (typically standard even with honest buyers) but to pay just face value knowing it was silver coins to begin with, I hope the buyer is very proud.

As a veteran and collector for over 50 years, your bit of bragging really sticks in my craw. Not that you did anything illegal...but you are the type of "collector" I could never associate with or consider a friend.

From Wikipedia,

A moral (from Latin morālis) is a message conveyed or a lesson to be learned from a story or event. The moral may be left to the hearer, reader or viewer to determine for themselves, or may be explicitly encapsulated in a maxim.

Lots of wisdom in this definition of the use of the word, "moral" and I tend to agree with what it alludes to in the OP's opening remarks. We judge what we see and hear for ourselves and others...only the person who perpetuated the deal knows the real answer to the moral dilemma this transaction has created.

I along with others jumped to conclusions on the information as provided and as this plays out, certain points of interest are being revealed that will further lead you into one direction.

We have the advocates on one side and the non-believers straddling the fence, while the out raged hammer relentlessly here and abroad. Of course well all know we can have our own opinion on this matter, some are more vocal than others, I for one don't really know what to think at this point, there is not enough information available here to formulate a concrete opinion.

I do however feel that if this person ever finds out the truth about what he had in those bags that day, he will be kicking himself in the behind.

Why make up a story that paints the person in (what most here seem to think is) such a bad light?

Slice it any way you wish in attempts to justify........
.......your position. Like saying the OP was edited when it wasn't?

Like saying "heard the sound of the coins and took notice of how it sounded. Based on that I am sure he knew prior to opening the bags that the coins were in fact made of silver and were worth more than face value even at melt price."

when in fact the OP said "..... I heard this weird clinking/clanging" without even mentioning that he thought it might be silver?

BTW, Yaha never did state what this fella said was the actual dollar amount of the coins in the bag. He only said he paid him $349 for it. I think folks are just assuming it was exactly $349 face value.

How much was it George?

Fact as stated by the OP:

"....When leaving I heard this WEIRD clinking/clanging...."

"... The machine for some reason wouldn't take his coins..."

Is the "weird" sound actually due to the less than smooth sound and flow of coins that one would equate with machine harmony, because the exchanger was not functioning as a result of the coin size trying to be fed into the hopper, that was a larger coin than the machine was designed for, and causing a racket (racket in the noisy confusion sense as opposed to its other meaning)?

Would a person that is as familiar with the sound of silver as has been suggested, use the word "weird" to describe the sound?

I would think that if the machine was functioning, it would be extremely difficult to separate the sound of silver, when coins were free flowing thru the machine in harmony. In fact, I would think it is just as difficult with an improper functioning machine.

There is nothing wrong with standing behind opinions. The opinions can always change ( or remain the same) when more facts are known, or the reason for an opinion may have a posit flaw that, after contemplation, doesn't support the original opinion.

But (there is always a "but"), opinion is not Fact.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Why make up a story that paints the person in (what most here seem to think is) such a bad light?

Anyone can take an image of this "bag of money" and I haven't seen one yet.

Just my opinion.

Just my opinion.

But my question to you still stands - Why make up a story that paints the person in (what most here seem to think is) such a bad light?

Just my opinion.

But my question to you still stands - Why make up a story that paints the person in (what most here seem to think is) such a bad light?

Okay, If this is a true story, and I hope it isn't, this is not the place to come and "brag" about it, poor judgment on the OP's part. And to be honest about the way I feel about it is...Some folks seek out attention, neg, or pos, and it just doesn't matter have they get it, sad but true.

So at this point, your right, it does paint a nasty image of the OP either way, if the story is true or false. I don't like the sound of it.

I am curious.

How would an image assist the opinions of the readers?

If there is an image, then the OP would not be a dastardly demon?

If there is not an image, then the OP would not be a dastardly demon?

Or, is as simply that an image or lack of an image would either prove the truth of the story or not?

If there was an image, and this proves the truth of the story, how does this assist the reader in determining the facts that would allow conclusion that the OP is a dastardly demon?

If there wasn't an image, does this prove the untruth of the story? Does the lack of the image assist the reader in determining facts that would conclude the OP is a dastardly demon?

Would self-immolation by the OP prove moral intent?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I am curious.

Or, is as simply that an image or lack of an image would either prove the truth of the story or not?

If there was an image, and this proves the truth of the story, how does this assist the reader in determining the facts that would allow conclusion that the OP is a dastardly demon?

If there wasn't an image, does this prove the untruth of the story? Does the lack of the image assist the reader in determining facts that would conclude the OP is a dastardly demon?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

No..

Thank You for taking the time to consider my words and then reply.

Your answer declares that you are willing to consider other facts and thoughts before a final conclusion.

I sincerely appreciate your willingness to do so.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Having used a few different coin machines in my time (some at Bi-Lo, Ingles, Wal-mart, the local credit union) you can clearly hear a difference in sound between pennies, dimes, quarters, half dollars (yes coin star machines accept half dollars as I have dumped large bankers bags full of cull coins into them quite often), etc as they hit the bottom of the coin return. Even in a loud place such as near the registers in a local walmart you can hear the differences from a distance.

The term "wierd" means not the normal. And since silver coins are no longer used in the public market place it would be an abnormality or "wierd" sound. Silver when it hits the metal base of a coin return slide have a distinctive "ting" sound where as a clad coin makes more of a "thud" sound when compaired to each other. If the OP had been simply an uneducated person in regards to coins he may not of known how to tell the difference, but thats not the case here. He knew it was silver and that it was worth a lot more than face value (a very good reason to not look at what he "blindly" shelled out a few hundred dollars for). I do not feel that if the situation came about again without hearing the "wierd" sound, that he would of blindly handed out that kind of money.

Does the OP consitantly buy things sight unseen on a normal basis? Or just when he hears the sounds of coins hitting the coin return? Would the OP purchase a car without hearing it run or taking it for a test drive? Would the OP buy meats with out seeing if it is tainted or not?

If thats the case, I have a rather large bag of round metal objects I would sell him for $300 (do washers have a value?) *note that I would not actually do that, using it as an example to show doubt in the "unknown purchase" theory*

Edited to add:

At this point I "agree to disagree" as too much time has been spent on this thread by myself. We each have our own opinions, some are in favor of the OP's actions, others are not. As long as you can sleep peacefully at night due ot the actions you do, thats all that matters in the long run.

Your answer declares that you are willing to consider other facts and thoughts before a final conclusion.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Okay, I have givin this post more attention that it deserves already. Am I somehow at fault here? Have I passed judgement on this man? It started out with " I in the BS crowd" And now it's come to responding to more & more. Sorry if I have better things to do with my time. Forget about the images, I really don't care either way if the story is true or false. I'm but again I'll say and hope I'll leave the same way I came in, " I with the BS crowd"....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Okay, I have givin this post more attention that it deserves already. Am I somehow at fault here? Have I passed judgement on this man? It started out with " I in the BS crowd" And now it's come to responding to more & more. Sorry if I have better things to do with my time. Forget about the images, I really don't care either way if the story is true or false. I'm but again I'll say and hope I'll leave the same way I came in, " I with the BS crowd"....

Joe, John just thanked and complimented you. You don't sound as if you are aware of that. ;)

I humbly apologize.

There certainly was no intent to convey 'fault".

I obviously misunderstood the premise of the reply.

Sometimes, I can be buffaloheaded. Very discourteous of me.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Joe, John just thanked and complimented you. You don't sound as if you are aware of that. ;)

Sounded more like Sarcasm to me, Sorry if I took it the wrong way....Joe

edited for a ;)

I am curious.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

The only thing a photo might prove is whether the story is true or contrived. As far as I'm concerned, it's irrelevant.

I do find it odd that the OP chose to use the word "wierd" in describing the sound at the change machine. Come on, now! IT"S A COIN MACHINE! Would you expect to hear bells and whistles like you would when someone hits a jackpot on a slot machine? Was it groaning and moaning in the throes of death?

The other point that struck me oddly is that he said that the pilot told him he had half dollars and silver dollars. Now, to a coin collector, how many different kinds of silver dollars are there other than clad or silver? I can't believe that his curiosity wasn't piqued just a little to take a peek inside the bag. After all, I doubt that the bag was sealed in any permanent way because the pilot was just going to dump it in the machine.

I also think that the OP's comment about taking him at his word meant only that there was about $349 in the bag. I'm betting that he did take a peek and he did see silver and it didn't matter if it may have been a tad shy of $349 because he was going to be way ahead of the game anyway.

No, I agree with Mark that it would strange for someone to make up this story and portray himself in a bad light. However, I do think the OP's choice of words was a bit contrived in a vain attempt not to make himself look bad, but he failed miserably.

Chris

Chris, I learned something today. I had no idea about the facts you have presented about coin machines, including the denomination accepted and the sounds made.

I am not certain these facts translate into the OP knowing something or not, or if the "weird" sound he heard was the recognition of the sound of silver or not.

I am not an uneducated person in regard to coins (at least if you believe my wife-although I know she has an ulterior motive for saying this).

But (there is always a "but") I admit that I would not know the difference of sound of silver in a counting machine. It may be that I have never paid attention.

I must conclude that if a person dumped a bag of silver into a counting machine in front of me, and I perceived a "weird" sound and did not stop him, and then came to the coin public with the story, I would be at risk of opinion about my coin knowledge being less than that stated by my wife. I would hope this would not lead to condemnation.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Buffalo Head, I assure you that the Post you referred to was not sarcasm. Anyone that "knows" my Posts over the years here and abroad would, I am certain, confirm this.

That being said, before Mark let you know the true intent of my Post, I did read your reply, and apologized again. I also freely admit to poetic license (and MAYBE just a little sarcasm), by describing myself as "buffaloheaded", in that "apolgy" Post.

Mea Culpa.....

Respectfully (Always)

John Curlis

Well I only have a small comment and won't get too bad into the condemnation of the OP. He is the one that will live with a conscience of what actually happened and his motives. I feel the OP's actions were basically greed. It attacks the best of people, takes away integrity, and can turn a good persons morals to the blindside. Luckily, the majority of people out there are still good and will still help thier fellow brethren.

Buffalo Head, I assure you that the Post you referred to was not sarcasm. Anyone that "knows" my Posts over the years here and abroad would, I am certain, confirm this.

That being said, before Mark let you know the true intent of my Post, I did read your reply, and apologized again. I also freely admit to poetic license (and MAYBE just a little sarcasm), by describing myself as "buffaloheaded", in that "apolgy" Post.

Mea Culpa.....

Respectfully (Always)

John Curlis

Hmmmm, I do read sarcasm in just about everything you've said to me, and others, I wonder why? What's up? Have you been offended by these responses?

I guess I just would like to know what your intentions are? I find it hard to believe the OP didn't even look in the bag or what ever cantainer the coins were in before just handing over the cash. And if he did I'm sure the "silver dollars & silver half dollar" would have stuck out like a sore thumb. If this story is true.

So you find yourself defending the OP and bashing others, like myself with sarcasm. I see now. Thank you for clearing the air....Joe