• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT or NT

16 posts in this topic

I like it but whether it's AT or NT I haven't a clue. Tilt the coin at a steep angle and see if you can note any hazyness. If so, there might be putty....

Otherwise, you need to see it in hand.... (shrug)

jom

There is no putty. Not sure what you mean by feelin' walkerfan? If you mean the gray areas in the left obverse field, that is violet-blue toning that is not coming out for this angle of lighting in the image well. I should do a tilt image which would show that.

Above Miss Liberty's head is a bunch of gouges and scratches on the slab, giving it the foggy look, I should have mentioned that.......

Thanks, HT

I just meant that those areas that I mentioned are cloudy and look dull & suspect. If it is NT it is not an attractive NT. It looks a little hazy........it could just be the images, though. So hard to judge images would like to see it in hand. It may be much more appealing in hand. This is just based on what I can see.

The grey splotches are actually blue-violet toning under the light at the right angle. But yes your are right physics, they 'could be' considered suspect according to one of the two gold experts I consulted at ANA.

original NT as it is a leather pouch toned coin

based on the photos only

sight seen could/might be different

i dont dislike the coin but it is not my cup of tea

so i am so so/okie on the coin

That is the question...........

Like or dislike?

The toning isn't exactly my favorite, but I hate to be the dissenter here, but I actually still like the coin and find it pleasant (so as long as you can be sure that the coin hasn't been puttied).

coin is not puttied, I had it inspected by the best gold experts out there at ANA (I did not buy it from either of them BTW).

They told me that two processes can tone gold in this way -

as michael noted, stored for a very long time in a leather pouch is one (NT?).

Another suggestion was heat could cause deep toning like this on gold (AT?).

I guess we will never know, NGC chose to grade it and in hand it is a stunner. What does not come out well in most images is the luster, and this one has a flashy cartwheel which is very strong for the grade. The colors are accurate for direct lighting, but violet-blue-rose comes out when the light is put at a low angle to the faces of the coin.

But this is an interesting piece because it really does make the issue of AT vs. NT complicated given above. If leather did this, is that a valid NT process? What if heat was applied some time in the past such that part of the tone was produced that way? Does that make it AT by definition? Seems that in some cases whether a coin is AT or NT are somewhat arbitrary and a judgement call......

Thanks for all of the input so far, HT (not to be confused with AT or NT :roflmao: )

I find this coin very attractive & desirable regardless if the toning is natural or not, it doesn't matter to me in this case, as this is a rare piece. But if I were to guess I would have to say it does resemble a gold coin that been stored in a leather purse. For a fair price I would jump on this piece......Joe

coin is not puttied, I had it inspected by the best gold experts out there at ANA (I did not buy it from either of them BTW).

They told me that two processes can tone gold in this way -

as michael noted, stored for a very long time in a leather pouch is one (NT?).

Another suggestion was heat could cause deep toning like this on gold (AT?).

I guess we will never know, NGC chose to grade it and in hand it is a stunner. What does not come out well in most images is the luster, and this one has a flashy cartwheel which is very strong for the grade. The colors are accurate for direct lighting, but violet-blue-rose comes out when the light is put at a low angle to the faces of the coin.

But this is an interesting piece because it really does make the issue of AT vs. NT complicated given above. If leather did this, is that a valid NT process? What if heat was applied some time in the past such that part of the tone was produced that way? Does that make it AT by definition? Seems that in some cases whether a coin is AT or NT are somewhat arbitrary and a judgement call......

Thanks for all of the input so far, HT (not to be confused with AT or NT :roflmao: )

after reading this that the coin has really strong lustre in hand and to me again it is no brainer NT abet leather purse/pouch toned

i think i will now say i would like :cloud9: this coin in my collection