• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool NEWP to Spice up an otherwise Gloomy weekend :1833 CBH

13 posts in this topic

This handsome specimen is an O-106 which is also called the "Laced Lips" variety. R2. There is supposed to be a vertical die line joining the lips and the chin, but for the life of me I don't see anything. Oh well, as this has the characteristics of the dies being lapped (there is a toned crescent shape below and to the left of the chin that often appears on busties struck from a lapped die, and the coin's surface is sunken in that area) so maybe the die line was removed. To top it off, this coin is another "Guido" for the collection. Note the lack of dentilation at 2:30 and 8:30. There is no edge lettering in those areas and and much of the lettering is over running itself and illegible. I am starting to feel like a Godfather.

1833O-106O.jpg

1833O-106R.jpg

Very beautiful example, love the toning and luster, I can't possibly guess what the graders thought, but I would put this as a high AU and a great coin!

I'll agree with Mark, looks like a nice 55-58. Its quite a bit nicer than the 53 I just bought recently.

As for the laced lips, tilt the coin and use a magnifier to look right at her lips. The 'lacing' is pretty hard to spot, and its not a significant variety at all. Simply a die gouge. Perhaps it may have been lapped off, but mine is an earlier die state that still shows the line.

Looks like one of a group I bought a long time ago from Henry Christenson's auctions - dates in the 1830s, all deeply but naturally toned, and all AU 58 or a bit less. Sold them all about 5 years ago.

This one is graded AU-58, and it has nearly complete luster with only a trace of friction so I am confident in the grade.

And thanks for the comments guys! When you are putting together a massive collection, there is no way around having a few dogs, but the satisfaction of snagging a "Keeper" can never be surpassed!