• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin dealer Steve Halfon robbed, slain near his Brooklyn shop

26 posts in this topic

A Brooklyn coin dealer died Tuesday after a group of thieves pummeled him near his shop and dumped his battered body a mile away, police sources said.

Steve Halfon, 61, had just closed his shop, Liberty Coin Co. on Kings Highway in Gravesend, and was walking to his car when three men ambushed him just before 5:30 p.m., the sources said.

The men beat Halfon to a pulp, stuffed him in a black Volvo sedan and drove away, sources said. They dumped his body on East Seventh St. near Avenue N in Midwood and abandoned the car two blocks later, sources and a witness said.

"One guy gets out, covered in blood, and walks down the street like nothing happened," said a witness. The suspect threw his bloody T-shirt, a Yankees hat and a gray hoodie in a sewer before running away with the two others, the witness said.

A passing motorist spotted Halfon's body and called cops. He was taken to New York Community Hospital but couldn't be saved.

"He was a wonderful, wonderful man," said friend Harriet Arm."

It was not clear what the bandits got away with, but friends said Halfon had an impressive collection of gold and antique relics and always had a load of cash.

"He had the best coins," Arm said. "He had the goods. This was a good hit for them."

No arrests were made.

alg_halfon.jpg

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/08/24/2011-08-24_coin_dealer_is_robbed_slain_and_dumped.html#ixzz1VwgRNQXl

And as usual "No arrests were made"

I wonder if he was armed. He should have been. May have saved his life.

"When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away"

MM

~shaking head~ One has to wonder why take someones life to gain their possessions?

I'm hoping justice somehow makes this even...but then again how can that be accomplished.

And as usual "No arrests were made"

I wonder if he was armed. He should have been. May have saved his life.

"When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away"

MM

This is so true! First responders are the ones that save lives and make all the difference and it is rarely the police.

I really hope that they catch those :censored:

Won't bring him back, though.

MY PRAYERS go out to him and his family.

"He had the best coins," Arm said. "He had the goods. This was a good hit for them."

What an odd thing to say at the death of a friend. :(

It was probably just taken out of context. They guy might have been angry when he made the statement....using an ironical sort of quip....I can see how can be taken as odd though.

jom

In Brooklyn, that would not be odd at all for someone to say.

In Brooklyn, that would not be odd at all for someone to say.

I think they were stating the motive.

I get a pit in my stomach just reading about this sort of news. How horribly disgusting. It's also disgusting to know that these kinds of diabolical scum are reproducing offspring, and there's nothing we can do about it.

I get a pit in my stomach just reading about this sort of news. How horribly disgusting. It's also disgusting to know that these kinds of diabolical scum are reproducing offspring, and there's nothing we can do about it.

There IS something we could do about it, but for some reason, decent people do not have any kahuna's anymore. (Or we are now a minority). More worried about being "politically correct". Nothing would make a kid grow up a little more law abiding than witnessing a public hanging of scum like these. But that would not be "PC". What a joke this countries legal system has become.

MM

Yeah, it's the unfortonate truth...

Arrest Made in Brooklyn Dealers Murder

Mon, 08/29/2011 - 4:26pm — ncic

A man was arrested on Staten Island yesterday for the murder of Brooklyn coin dealer Steve Halfon.

Law enforcement officials caught Andrew Jackson, 26, by using fingerprints he left on the car where his victim was beaten to death, said a law enforcement source.

Jackson and two other violent crooks allegedly dragged numismatist Steve Halfon, 61, out of his car near his coin shop on Kings Highway in Gravesend at 5:10 p.m. Tuesday.

They threw Halfon into another vehicle, where they beat him savagely. The vicious gang later dumped an unconscious Halfon about a mile away on East 7th Street near Avenue N in Midwood, less than two blocks from Halfon’s home.

Good to hear they at least got one of them...but alas, the DA will now allow the caught one some sort of plea bargain for the names of the other two perps.

Press on though as to what ever it takes to round up those other two other animals and get them out of law abiding societies way.