• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mind Your Business

33 posts in this topic

I have always been a big fan of Ben Franklins Fugio design...... something about the powerful symbolism of 13 linked rings representing the 13 colonies has always appealed to me. At this years ANA show I was finally able to add the last piece to a type set of sorts. We probably won't see this set composite in any registry anytime soon! ;)

With the addition of a Continental dollar (Thanks to CRO) my "Fugio" set is finally complete.

1776-Continental-dollar.jpg

Fugio_mgm.jpg

cc19-comp.jpg

cc-20-comp.jpg

cc-21-comp.jpg

cc-22-comp.jpg

saw the continental $ on cro website

and it is an above average coin in every aspect

that being

grade

surfaces

color

and eye appeal

along with

a fundemential reason to rise in demand

Wow, Boiler, now that is an admirable acquisition. Fantastic type set. I can't stop looking at them. Thank you for sharing your set with us and again, Congrats.

Jim

Way to go, Boiler!

One thing I've wondered, and it probably has been stated before, but is the "G" in FUGIO pronounced as a "hard G" as in geyser or a "soft G" as in fudge?

Chris

Congratulations Boiler! That is a first rate Continental dollar. That has been on my list from time to time, but other items came first.

I had looked a few Continental dollars at the winter FUN show and was appalled at some the prices. They were all over the place. One dealer, who in my view was either ignorant of the market or “taking shots” quoted me $175,000 to $185,000 for pieces that were nowhere near as nice as one you just purchased. Others were below $100k for pieces very similar to the pieces quoted at almost double.

It will take some research, but I’m guessing that the odd denominations like one-sixth, one third and two thirds of a dollar probably have something to do with bringing the Spanish dollar into line with the English system of shillings and pounds. The American colonies were British possessions, but the Spanish silver coinage was the type of money that was most often seen in circulation.

Tom

The Continental dollar has traces of P/L finish around the lettering. The coin has considerable luster that is not readily apparent in the image but it really flashes when rotated under a light.

I just noticed that I left out the Fugio cent in my OP. Can someone tell me how to edit my post so I can add it?

Thanks,

Mark

Tom

The Continental dollar has traces of P/L finish around the lettering. The coin has considerable luster that is not readily apparent in the image but it really flashes when rotated under a light.

I just noticed that I left out the Fugio cent in my OP. Can someone tell me how to edit my post so I can add it?

Thanks,

Mark

Unfortunately, you are only given 3 days to edit a post. Congratulations on completing your set.

It will take some research, but I’m guessing that the odd denominations like one-sixth, one third and two thirds of a dollar probably have something to do with bringing the Spanish dollar into line with the English system of shillings and pounds. The American colonies were British possessions, but the Spanish silver coinage was the type of money that was most often seen in circulation.

That would be my guess.

The Spanish milled dollar was worth 8 reales (or "bits"). The British crown was worth 5 shillings. If I've done my math correctly, a Spanish milled dollar was worth about 2 1/2 Dutch guilders. I don't know how many French livres it took to equal a dollar.

I can't imagine being a merchant in those days trying to keep track of the actual value of various coins and notes circulating.