• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new purchase .. Merc Dime in a fatty NGC holder and CAC

63 posts in this topic

Just for sake of conversation....if it got a MS-69 designation what would the market value be on such a coin? What is the pop of MS-69 Mercs of all years?

As a side note, Condor's post regarding NGC holders is quite informative, this one seems to be an enigma, it has the bar-code on it, yet it is the GREEN NGC outline fatty holder. Maybe Condor can chime in on that one.

Thank You.

The way I understand it, NGC never made labels with green on them. They are just sun faded brown labels.

That is correct - the green labels did not start off life that way/color.

Maybe someone who worked for NGC snuck into the facility in the middle of the night and made 5 labels with green on them.....stranger things have been known to happen lol

Personally id send it in for a regrade. You collect coins not holders! Worst case the grade stays the same.

Not true. While images can be deceiving, the coin appears to have little to no hope of an upgrade. It may very well be downgraded to a MS67 or MS66. I think a FB designation is a farce. The bands aren't sharp enough and fully rounded IMO, and even if they were/are, the tick across the bands counts as a disruption and generally precludes the FB designation. An upgrade would be nothing shy of a miracle. The coin appears to have negative eye appeal. I would think MS66+ to low end MS67 pricing would be about right on this piece.

If the coin down grades NGC will pay the difference. As long as no premiums where paid you can't lose :).

You can lose in this scenario even if the coin remains the same grade. The reason for this is that so many folks will pay a small premium for older holders and these coins in older holders can be more liquid. By the way, my 1939-D was mentioned in this thread and it is here-

TBR2F1939DP68FB.jpg

Personally id send it in for a regrade. You collect coins not holders! Worst case the grade stays the same.

Not true. While images can be deceiving, the coin appears to have little to no hope of an upgrade. It may very well be downgraded to a MS67 or MS66. I think a FB designation is a farce. The bands aren't sharp enough and fully rounded IMO, and even if they were/are, the tick across the bands counts as a disruption and generally precludes the FB designation. An upgrade would be nothing shy of a miracle. The coin appears to have negative eye appeal. I would think MS66+ to low end MS67 pricing would be about right on this piece.

If the coin down grades NGC will pay the difference. As long as no premiums where paid you can't lose :).

You can lose in this scenario even if the coin remains the same grade. The reason for this is that so many folks will pay a small premium for older holders and these coins in older holders can be more liquid. By the way, my 1939-D was mentioned in this thread and it is here-

TBR2F1939DP68FB.jpg

Agreed. If there is doubt about an upgrade, losing that old slab will hurt it even more.

Amazing violets and gold on that 39-D!! :thumbsup: