• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not sure what I was thinking when I bought this.

26 posts in this topic

What's the problem? You don't like it or what? I see a pretty proof in an old PCGS green holder, I feel these have nowhere to go but up.....Yes even in a PR-62....Nice....Joe

The answer depends largely upon what the coin looks like in hand, what you paid for it and whether you end up liking it. Why did you buy it?

I bought this one for a client, after each of us had viewed it in person and liked it. But based on the image, I would have passed.

But its got a CAC sticker? Doesn't that mean that it is an amazing coin, worth a premium, and we should all be drooling over it? The magical green bean covers all!

Seriously, from those pictures, I think its a dog. It almost certainly looks quite different in hand.

Just based on the photos, I would pass. In hand, it could be a different matter entirely.

Unfortunately, with so many sales now being internet based, a really nice coin may be a tough sell based on the images.... but could be a great buy for someone who can actually hold it and move it around in the light.

Being a bit cynical, I believe this is a 1st generation CAC sticker. Well anyway, I didn't pay a whole lot for it.

Why can't Heritage take decent pictures??? I mean, yes, optimally, you should view all coins in person. But a lot of us are not collectors/dealers/numismatists for a living. I can't pick up and travel cross-country for every coin that interests me.

So, even if you can't tell everything from a picture, Heritage could certainly improve theirs. I find their photos inferior to GreatCollections and Stacks by a mile, and even Teletrade does a better job on most coins. There are tons of sellers on eBay that even outshine them (For example, Jeremy Katz sells/consigns and images some beautiful coins on the Bay).

It's really sad for such a big name in numismatic auctions to have such pathetically poor photos.

Why can't Heritage take decent pictures??? I mean, yes, optimally, you should view all coins in person. But a lot of us are not collectors/dealers/numismatists for a living. I can't pick up and travel cross-country for every coin that interests me.

So, even if you can't tell everything from a picture, Heritage could certainly improve theirs. I find their photos inferior to GreatCollections and Stacks by a mile, and even Teletrade does a better job on most coins. There are tons of sellers on eBay that even outshine them (For example, Jeremy Katz sells/consigns and images some beautiful coins on the Bay).

It's really sad for such a big name in numismatic auctions to have such pathetically poor photos.

Without seeing the coin in hand, we don't know that the images aren't "decent". They might be excellent.

Many coins need to be tilted and rotated under a light in order for the observer to get a good view - images don't provide for that. And many images which look great, don't necessarily represent the coins accurately.

Well one thing is sure: That liberty has character and certainly an interesting tone.

I have not seen the tourquois/blue/peach toning on a Liberty Nickel until today.

I would love to see it in person. My first impression was "Blah".

Might grow on me though. If you ever decide to trade PM me

OP

But its got a CAC sticker? Doesn't that mean that it is an amazing coin, worth a premium, and we should all be drooling over it? The magical green bean covers all!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

NO

it means cac thinks it is a solid for the grade coin

that being said a proof 62 usually has heavy hairlines and/or other problems and just from the photos it appears to be lacking in the eye appeal dept.

what it looked like when it was graded in 1990 21 or so years ago is anyone's guess

and yes

it aint my cup of tea either

and most importantly as mark sayz

it all depends on what it looks like in hand how much it cost

and of course weather you liked it or not which is the most important point

and i can say 1005 for sure that

at a certain price point i would be absolutely in love with this coin :cloud9:

Based on those pictures of the coin, personally I would of passed. But if it looked better in person, then I may have considered it if the price was reasonable. I hope that the pictures just make it look that dark and that it looks very nice in hand.

-Chris#2

In general, proof V-nicks are too common to buy at that grade level. For just a few bucks more, get a PF-64!

A related observation: Does it make sense to have CAC review that coin? The cost difference between a PR62 and a PR63 is so small is it cost justified? If the coin was a higher grade and there was a significant price difference between grades then it seems that the coin would be a legitimate candidate for CAC review. The price difference between an 1898 PR 66 and 1898 PR 67 would justify the additional expense of getting the PR 66 coin reviewed but at PR 62 I don't think so. What do you think? Am I missing something?

I hear ya, but recent Heritage images are much better than previous. Enough folks have complained that they are trying to improve. The colors in their images are now fairly accurate, you can get enlarged images that show the surfaces well. What you don't get though is the luster and sometimes, the lighting will be in such an orientation to hide scratches that are not listed in the description. Nothing like seeing it in hand. Stacks images have problems too. All of their gold images are too orange for example. And good luck determining the luster.

I agree that some ebay sellers post excellent images, but that is about 3 of us, the other several thousand make heritage look like award winning photographers......

Impossible to answer because we don't know what was paid for it. If you bought it close to the price guide level for PF-62 then yes you probably made a blunder. If you picked it up for $30 you probably did well because you can find another collector to move it to for a profit without too much difficulty..