• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900-s Barber Half, whatcha think?

14 posts in this topic

Could you zoom in on the mint mark? It doesn't look quite right. Also look at the rims? Is that damage from contact marks is something else going on (i.e. there are circular indentations that look like bubbles in the metal) ?

Something about the surfaces seems off. And what's going on with her nose? Looks like a botched nose job.

Also, it appears that there is a squiggly line through the nose on the obverse and the right hind quarter of the eagle on the reverse. The placement seems to be in the same location. In culmination with the other issues, I'm thinking this may be a cast counterfeit.

This is one of those coins I'd really have to see live to make a determination. I don't like the indents on Ms. Liberty's nose. They look unnatural to me. I’m sure the coin might show more luster if I saw it live. I have the same problems when I take pictures of toned coins.

Still I don’t know what to say about this. The trouble with high grade rare Barber half dollars, or really any fairly expensive coin, is that they are often rare for a reason. And that reason is usually not to the collector’s benefit.

I’m sorry I can’t be more positive, but that picture I just don’t know.

MS-62.

You are clearly more experienced that I am, so I would defer to you. With this said, do you think the coin looks authentic and/or original?

Ha, don't defer to me! I mess up on these GTGs all the time :Pdoh! .

It looks dipped to me, which is why I went with a lower MS grade. The small marks on the nose don't bother me, since they are tiny at true size. They are just incidental contact marks, I suspect.

I think it looks nice

you say it has more luster than pic, I don't see the luster

something has me wondering about surface? old cleaning, polished??

or else just a mighty nice XF

although details wise looks like maybe AU

MS-62.

You are clearly more experienced that I am, so I would defer to you. With this said, do you think the coin looks authentic and/or original?

Ha, don't defer to me! I mess up on these GTGs all the time :Pdoh! .

It looks dipped to me, which is why I went with a lower MS grade. The small marks on the nose don't bother me, since they are tiny at true size. They are just incidental contact marks, I suspect.

I am in total agreement.

As I said, I see no wear but it does looks a bit dull and likely dipped, which I didn't mention earlier.

I would agree with the MS 62 rating that you gave it.