• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying To Figure This Out

30 posts in this topic

He picked it up alright...and then dropped it...then rolled all the way home from Philly.

jom

At best it looks like it might be a fine (15) grade.. Compared to pcgs photo grade iPad app at least that's what it looks like to me. I've picked up better looking peace dollars for spot.

Is it just me or does the "S" look off?

The coin and mintmark look fine (pun intended). It just appears to be an over-graded coin.

It is hard to believe that PCGS missed the grade that badly. That is third world slab grading. As soon as I saw it the words "fake slab" went through my mind.

I guess that one won't be getting a "green football" any time soon. ;)

It is hard to believe that PCGS missed the grade that badly. That is third world slab grading. As soon as I saw it the words "fake slab" went through my mind.

I guess that one won't be getting a "green football" any time soon. ;)

There's no way something that bad could happen unless it was a typo, which a cert lookup should catch. That's (most likely) a fake slab [and more likely than not a counterfeit coin]

The high points are heavily rubbed down. Look at the eagle and the hair for evidence. The coin is well circulated, there are contact marks all over. It probably was weakly struck as well, but it's not an XF-45 by any means.

Funny, the seller has 2 other similarly misgraded 34-s's in PCGS holders.

Something funny is going on.

The high points are heavily rubbed down. Look at the eagle and the hair for evidence. The coin is well circulated, there are contact marks all over. It probably was weakly struck as well, but it's not an XF-45 by any means.

I agree on both counts. So are ya thinking it's a fake slab?

I agree on both counts. So are ya thinking it's a fake slab?

JMHO

I found 1 other rather quickly...how's that saying go, "If this is a XF-40 I'll eat my insert article of taste"

i have a 34-s in an NGC holder at XF45 that looks better than every XF45 i have ever seen, it belongs in an AU holder for sure

Several years ago I bought a 34-S in an NGC XF45 holder. I thought it looked better so I cracked it out and sent it to ANACS. It came back AU58. :acclaim:

Cleaned. :pullhair:

Maybe NGC net graded it.

Nice, did u just get that off ebay?

If so, i gave that coin an obligatory $50 bid, lol.

I am trying to refrain from buying Peace Dollars that don't improve my registry set... but sometimes those toners can be tempting!