• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graded toned walker opinions

13 posts in this topic

This walker is in an old ANACS small holder and graded MS66, I have it for sale in the money market and have had a few people concerned it may not cross over to NGC or PCGS with a 66 mark. I personally like it in its current holder but was wondering what you all think, thank you in advance.

IMG_7844-1.jpg

IMG_7840-1.jpg

IMG_7841-1.jpg

First of all.........VERY nice coin. I have my doubts as to whether the KOOL AID drinking community would bestow a MS 66 grade on it due to the dark toning. I think that it would MOST LIKELY 64 possibly 65 but would not 66. And I don't think it would star either. But it is a superb original coin. I would leave it be. JMHO.

thanks walkerfan, its unfortunate but I agree. In hand at first glance the toning is a bit dark but under light it just sparkles.

Nick

It's a modern 4 with toning that dark (at least as dark as the images portray it as). With some brightening it could certainly 5 and maybe even cross if it turns out great.

I don't think the strike is strong enough for my taste, at least not for a MS66. I also think the coin will be penalized for the dark toning which seems to mute a lot of the luster. On a cross over, I would expect this to come back in the MS64-MS65 range. NGC seems a bit more forgiving on luster than PCGS, but the former will also require you to crack the coin out and lose the old ANACS holder which many collectors actively seek out. I would leave it alone.

As others have pointed out, it would probably be best to leave "well enough alone". I doubt it would grade at the same level, especially since NGC seems to be conservative lately in the grades they assign (both from personal experience and seeing what others have said as of lately in other posts).

-Chris#2

I would say a 64 due to the wear i see. The dress lines are worn, the dress at the thigh is a tad worn, the leafs are a tad worn, and the eagle claws are worn. Beautiful coin though.

Im no expert by any means.. Im still learning the ANA grading standards.

I would say a 64 due to the wear i see. The dress lines are worn, the dress at the thigh is a tad worn, the leafs are a tad worn, and the eagle claws are worn. Beautiful coin though.

Im no expert by any means.. Im still learning the ANA grading standards.

If there is indeed wear, then this would preclude a grade above AU58; however, I think you are referring to the weak strike. This is possible, and MS64-MS65 seems fair.