• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superbird

12 posts in this topic

Sigh...lots of comedians, but not much useful info.

You got the asnwer in the first reply. It is "an apparent large "S" on the bird's chest".

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What seems to be a letter S on the eagle's chest is most likely the impression left by a fiber from the cloth used to wipe the die during its polishing process. Its shape and location are simply a curious coincidence that makes this variety popular.

Since it has been assigned a Cherrypicker (FS) number, NGC will now acknowledge this variety under its VarietyPlus service.

Thanks David.

I had heard that this variety was only associated with one reverse die for the year and was curious if there were other diagnostics for it. The two Superbirds I've seen before left me scratching my head because about the only 'S' I could see on the Eagle's chest was mostly imagination - so I figured there had to be another way to determine it.

I did some research and couldn't find any info defining the superbird variety. I know of a seller who has one! hi.gif I was thinking the eagle had the shape of the superman emblem on it's chest as shown in the attachment. Take note of the v-shape of the emblem and on the eagles breast. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif But reading DW Langes post, he's right! Perhaps Rick could come on here with a larger pic.

Leo

464305-1952superbird.jpg.33e11410e277114563d7db14d6392ee2.jpg