• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pocket Change....

9 posts in this topic

Since I am new coin collecting, I decided to dive into my pocket change to see what I've been carrying around.

Today I found a 1959 5c and a 1964 5c.

I am considering purchasing some coin books and when I get a coin that fits into an available year, I'll put it into the book. As I get circulated coins that are in better quality, I will change them out.

I'd obviously start out with low grade coins (which are free because its pocket change) and work my way up the grade ladder.

Thoughts?

114262.jpg.2ae42dc21f9e9a6d5d20c8acfbef6954.jpg

That's a great way to start!

Every once in a while you might find an older nickel (I've found a 1939 in change) to keep things interesting. As you get to know the Jefferson series you'll soon find which fairly recent dates are relatively scarce and which are common.

I got this one today, in change. The checker says, do you like weird nickels Joe? And I say, you bet I do. She gave me this one.....It's a store in a little small mountain town I live in and we kinda know each other. I can't remember this ever happening to me before, and I like it....Joe

046-4.jpg

047-2.jpg

I would suggest picking up a box of nickels at a bank. I usually find a couple of bucks of stuff worth keeping including 50's and earlier Jeffersons and the occasional buffalo.

Thoughts?

How about that's the way the vast majority of collectors start out.

I've always been the oddball. I got my start in a poolroom.

Chris

I'd suggest that you pay a lot of attention to strike and die quality especially on the more modern nickels; about 1962 and later. One of the best things about the set you propose is that it makes a superb reference collection. When you find a new coin that appears may be adifferent variety you have that date in your collection to which to refer. If the coins in your set are all nicely made coins it serves this purpose much better. The older nickels aren't always well made either but this problem plagues many of the later dates like the '68-D.

I would certainly not replace a nice XF '68-D with a slider unc that was poorly struck by worn dies even though it is technically higher grade.