• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is as strange as it gets....

21 posts in this topic

I'm talking about the "Masked Indian" variety. Now how the heck did this happen? Was it a die gone bad? Were these dies clashed? Or was it a case of a completely different die set all together? I can't find anything on this variety, at least in my books. I noticed how different this coin looks next to another of the same date, take a look at eye on the masked coin, it's all the way closed and the other is all the way open. I think it's a really cool variety and not much mention. So can anyone explain how this happened? Just wondering. Thanks for any help....Joe

029-8.jpg

017-6.jpg

The "Masked Indian" is a die clash formed around the Indians eye by the Buffalo s back legs. Variety error A632. Check here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1913-P-Buffalo-Nickel-Masked-Indian-Variety-Error-A632-/270793127288?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3f0c87357

Carl

The "Masked Indian" is a die clash formed around the Indians eye by the Buffalo s back legs. Variety error A632. Check here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1913-P-Buffalo-Nickel-Masked-Indian-Variety-Error-A632-/270793127288?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3f0c87357

Carl

Thanks Carl, but I was hoping for something written in a book or something of sort. I believe it is clashed, but what about the Indian's eye? I wonder why it's closed as if he's squinting ? It's just I can't understand why "clashing" would close his eye? Strange as it is. Just not a popular variety I guess. Thanks again for the help.

I see the clash, but I am also seeing seer die wear in the area around he eye (and some other areas) I suspect that may be at least part of the reason for the "closed" eye.

I'll get you the book reference shortly. I know I've seen it, as one passed through the office a few weeks ago, just need to dig up the refernce.

Carl

Here 's another example of some heavy clashing and if you notice his eye is still opened. This 1913-S is clashed as hard as any Buff I've ever seen, it has it all even some the head has shown up on this one if you notice the clashing under the feathers on the obverse. This is the reason for the 2 feather variety as they would polish off this lump and remove the feather at the same time.

I think the "Masked Indian" is a strange bird and it sure make me wonder.....Joe

009-11.jpg

022-1.jpg

Here's another with heavy clashing. You can see the leggs on the obverse just in front of the Indian's face and it does not effect the eyes at all. This coin is very clashed....

001-2.jpg

005-11.jpg

"The Abraded Die Varieties (Buffalo Nickels)"

-Ron Pope

Page 119

Pope says, "This is the most distinct and also the most commonly encountered of this type of die variety available, even in high MS grade. At least 4 different dies can be found: the first and third dies [pictured] clashed with the die significantly rotated; the second with the die in a normal or near normal orientation. The die rotation caused the clash to be much more dramatic. The fourth die [pictured] is very slightly different than Die #1. This die, reported by _________ in 2006 is also significantly rotated. It also shows strong die polish lines in the front of the nose and a distinct die clash in the same area. This die clash is one of the most common to be found on Buffalo Nickels."

Here's another with heavy clashing. You can see the leggs on the obverse just in front of the Indian's face and it does not effect the eyes at all. This coin is very clashed....

001-2.jpg

005-11.jpg

Eyes look affected in this example just not as much. Looks half-closed. :grin: Definitely, more so than a normal/regular piece.

Maybe the glare from the second coin?

:D That's funny....

Personally, I think the Indian likes you....he's giving you the "wink".

jom

Eyes look affected in this example just not as much. Looks half-closed. Definitely, more so than a normal/regular piece.

Yes I agree, I guess I should have said he's not squinting. I just think it's a cool variety and doesn't get much attention. Although they say it's not rare I don't see many listed for sale. The 1937-D 3 legged Buffalo sure as heck isn't rare but popular and I think most young collectors think is rare, but it's just an over priced popular variety, in my opinion. Thanks again for your participation on this subject....Joe

Eyes look affected in this example just not as much. Looks half-closed. Definitely, more so than a normal/regular piece.

Yes I agree, I guess I should have said he's not squinting. I just think it's a cool variety and doesn't get much attention. Although they say it's not rare I don't see many listed for sale. The 1937-D 3 legged Buffalo sure as heck isn't rare but popular and I think most young collectors think is rare, but it's just an over priced popular variety, in my opinion. Thanks again for your participation on this subject....Joe

You're welcome, Joe. I think it's very fascinating, as well!!