• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much would you pay?

17 posts in this topic

for a "high relief" mint set? Someone had a thread a while ago that showed just how crappy modern coins have become, even compared with the late-60s and early 70s. Do you think it would be a worthy effort for the mint to produce a higher relief version of our coins just for collectors? Would it be worth a premium? I was thinking I might be willing to pay $30 or $40 for such a set if it was really well done. What are your thoughts?

If the coins were minted in silver - I'd jump on it even at $50. As for the clad issues - sure I'd pay a premium. But as to how much premium - that would depend on - as you said - how nicely done they were.

I was thinking perhaps doing them as a silver unc set with no mintmarks, and perhaps they could include a comic book on how they were made to keep the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons from the other boards happy when they come here to post.

I'd prefer them produce a silver proof set that looks more like a cameo set from the 1960s than today. Today they are too heavily frosted, flat looking, lifeless, and bland.

As for a high relief mint set, the designs are still too ugly for me to consider buying them.

I'd pay 5-10 bucks more for a HR clad mint set. And I'd pay the same for a silver mint set as I do the proof. Proofs are very nice these days, but the HR would be an added bonus worth a bit of a premium.

I agree with Greg, however, that the designs desperately need changing.

Hoot

Gunsmoke, by High Relief, I mean coins struck more deeply, with more detail than today, higher rims, and an almost 3D appearance to the design. To illustrate, find a 2002 cent, and compare it to one like a 1964, and you'll quickly see what I'm talking about.

I would if I actually liked the current coinage designs. They severely need a makeover. I extremely enjoy the mythical designs of the past. They actually use imagination. Today's coinage is way too serious. They need to have fun with it, in my opinion!

I mean coins struck more deeply, with more detail than today, higher rims, and an almost 3D appearance to the design. To illustrate, find a 2002 cent, and compare it to one like a 1964, and you'll quickly see what I'm talking about.

Yes, the coins are struck flatter, but the mint did add more detail to the hair of our presidents. wink.gif

Greg has also brought up another ugliness factor. Who was the person that decided that the profiles needed more hair detail? I mean come on, Washington looks like he has sphagetti as hair. It's completely pathetic and ugly.

No! Heaven forfend. We don't need another NCLT issue, at least not one that replaces about the only source for gem circulating issues. I wouldn't buy it probably but a high relief silver business strike set would be extremely interesting- - maybe I would buy it.

I may consider buying a HR mint set, more so if it were of silver content. In fact, I may consider even paying a modest premium. The problem, however, is that it'll require new dies that are specially cut with the higher relief in mind. My terminology is not good with this technology, but essentially, whatever the Mint use to create dies, they'll need a whole new set of this that can be used to create HR dies.

That, I think, can get expensive.

EVP

Remember EVP, this is just my fantasy! It's just that I was looking at my whitman folders and seeing beauties like a BU 1935 cent, or 1939-D nickel, or 1960 quarter, or 1946 Roosie, or even a 1964 Kennedy, made me long for the more striking coins of our past. So to me it would be nice to see similar coins struck in silver/copper for today's collectors.

The coins are ugly. High relief isn't going to change that fact. I wouldn't pay anything "extra" for them.

The worst part is, if the mint did decide to do it, I would probably buy at least one set, just to have it though. frown.gif