• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smithsonian to close Numismatic Exhibit to the public.

10 posts in this topic

Shamelessly stolen article from across the street.

WASHINGTON - The world's largest collection of money and medals will be closed to the public this summer after 40 years, the National Museum of American History announced Friday. Selections from the 1.6 million coins, medals and pieces of paper money are shown in the museum's Numismatics Hall. The collection will remain open to scholars and will make loans to other museums after the closing, set for August.

The collection includes 700,000 pieces of money issued by the Confederacy during the Civil War, and feathers from the rare, gaudy quetzal bird, once used for money in Central America.

Among the most valuable items are two $20 gold pieces from 1933. The only one of this issue that can legally be held by ordinary citizens fetched $7 million the last time it came up for sale, said Robert Hope, in charge of American items at the American Numismatic Society in New York.

The Washington collection is especially proud of what is sometimes called "the king of coins," an 1804 dollar of which only 16 survive. The collection has three.

Brent Glass, director of the history museum, said the gold pieces have been on display for the past five years, but it has not been decided when they will be seen after the closing.

The decision to close the hall is part of a reorganization undertaken after an official panel criticized the museum's organization.

"The original design scheme of separate subject halls will be updated as the museum moves to thematic presentations, reinterpreting collections in a narrative format," the museum said in a statement announcing the closing.

Spokesman Melinda Machado said that, for example, an exhibit on the American military will include a section on how the Revolutionary War was paid for.

The museum has just opened an exhibit on "Money and Sovereignty" in collaboration with the International Monetary Fund, which has its headquarters in Washington. A small selection also will be seen at the National Museum of the American Indian. Its new building, now taking shape next to the Air and Space Museum at the foot of Capitol Hill, is due to open in September.

The National Museum of American History is one of the Smithsonian Institution's museums

This is horrible news! Lost treasure, our treasure no longer to be seen due to beaurocratic idiocy! I think we should as collectors all take our "Smithsonian" commemorative coins, smash them with hammers and send them back to these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

It'd be nice if they could send the collection on a tour of the country so people from all over the US could see them.

I'm sure we could have a Smithsonian Touring Coin Exhibit commemorative to pay for it.

I can't say I'm unhappy with this news.

I saw the exhibit last year and was very disappointed. Poor lighting, slipshod displays (oh, was that the 1933 double eagle I just tripped on?) and zero useful information made it overall rather pitiful. If you're not going to do it right why bother.

-JamminJ

I've also seen the collection and I have to largely agree with JamminJ. It was a museum in name only; with little in the way of information and the display was quite poor.

Here I am looking at a case of unlit coins in the Smithsonian - notice the bemused facial expression.

459327-unlit_coins.jpg

There was one light in the exhibition area and when you bent over to look a the coins you blocked the one light. 893frustrated.gif

-JamminJ

Hi J,

That really does look kinda stupid...(The display I mean, not you J). What kind of a way to show coins is that ? I was at the Smithsonian about 40 or so years ago. I was just a pup and don't remember anything about the coins.

Well, I guess I won't be leaving them my fine collection, when that time comes..... smile.gif

This really is sad news. Regardless of the display method at least there was one place that such incredible treasures could be enjoyed by everyone. I'm glad I was able to see it at least once. It was about 6 years ago. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to again. That is unless I pass as a "scholar"........

Does anybody have any idea how many scholars are studying something in the collection at any given time? Hopefully their will be some traveling exibits. It would be nice to see the two 1933 $20 golds be sent to the ANA on a permanent loan basis. Jerry

As sad as this is, there is something we can do as a group regarding Gregs astute suggestion about taking the collection on the road.

I couldn't find any specific email address or phone number for a responsible party to talk to, but I did call 202-633-3270 and left the message "I suggest doing a U.S. Tour with select pieces from the collection" (like the TUT exhibit was done). I called after hours so didn't get to talk to anyone. If enough of us called and made mention of a road show, they may actually consider it.

Call away collectors! Let them know this would be in their best interests AND could be financially profitable for them to do so with admittance fees.

David