• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1830 half dollar error(identified as a 0-110a)

35 posts in this topic

where can I find classifications for errors for bust halves? I have an 1830 that has severe doubling going south from the date, stars, and even reverse.

the following 1830's have been known to show machine doubling:

102 (triple profile)

A pic would ID which one. If it is something else, then surely I would love to see it. The doubling does not add value per say but if it is neat enough, could bring a premium at auction.

the following 1830's have been known to show machine doubling:

102 (triple profile)

A pic would ID which one. If it is something else, then surely I would love to see it. The doubling does not add value per say but if it is neat enough, could bring a premium at auction.

For that matter, my 115 also shows consideralbe strike doubling in the stars and date.

1830-115o.jpg1830-115r.jpg

And I have some doubling on an 1830 O-122. Check the reverse, particularly the 50 C

100_1555.jpg

100_1558.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Here it is. The 1830 in question. I wasn't able to get a snap off of the rev b4 lunch was up. So I'm including an old one that I had.

here ya go:

obv.jpg

stars.jpg

ltstarss.jpg

date.jpg

1830rev.jpg

I cant get any closer on the reverse w/o it getting fuzzy., but at the point where the bottom arrow head meets the midle arrow head, a die line or fill runs from that point towards the claw. it sticks out about 1/2 mm from the 2nd arrow shaft. The rest of the REV looks pretty clear of anything else.

Looks like an O-110 R3. The doubling is very subtle. Nothing really special.

Yes...... while Jim & Dave have listed several varieties of 1830 CBH that they personally know of to have strike (machine) doubling, I am sure that neither of these highly knowledgeable guys have seen every CBH that exists...... Strike doubling is possible on any and all CBH varieties..... it is not at all uncommon, nor is it any big deal..... the doubling on your coin is minimal at best and would hold no premium for that minor feature.

Yes..... it is a very, very nice coin, and I hope that you do not take my comments in the wrong light..... I just did not want you to get your hopes up of it being something even more special because of the doubling.

I'm not upset. It's just that every 1830 I've seen has some type of overton designation. I was just curious which one this was. I plan on leaving this one to the kids, so the real question when it comes to value is how much will it mature in the future. lol. I might have to go hunt down all of the other 1830 halves and melt them down, lol.

I was just curious which one this was.

I think that MBA said it is Overton variety 110...... (trust me), you can trust him to know what he is talking about.... ;)

I might have to go hunt down all of the other 1830 halves and melt them down

Heh..... yeah..... that would certainly make yours even more desirable than it already is...... but CBH in general are probably one of the most collectable of all US coins (in my opinion anyway)...... its value will increase at a rate greater than most other large diameter coins.... you can't go wrong with a CBH in that condition...... it needs some buddies though, so don't stop with just one..... the older the date, it seems that the more desirable, costly, and harder to find they are in nice condition.

Lewy

I do plan on picking up some more. My wife says I need to concentrate on just two or three types, and sell the rest, but i have a habit of "Ohhh, that's cool! I think I'll bid!" It has gotten me into trouble once or twice.

A couple of days ago Jim...... I am delighted to see that you are here to help liven things up a bit.... I was feeling sorta lonely, and was hoping that I might run into some of the good guys..... ;)

zeewool

It has been identified! I took it to a pal that is sort of a VAM nut, and he showed me a site that he refers to a lot. We sat down, and he scoured over every variety for a small "O". He then identified it as a 0-110a. (whoever said 0-110 was pretty close). I think I might look at all my coins for Varieties. It's kind of like being a detective.

Not disputing your word since you have the coin in hand, but why do you think that it is the "a" die state of the O-110? I see no sign of the die crack at S4 through S7 that would make it this state.

Just so ya know, Joe - Capped Bust Half Dollars are collected by Overton number (named after the guy who wrote the book). The website you linked to is essentially that book online, and is a very good website. I use it all the time.

There is an Overton number for every single CBH minted - a different number for each die pair. Because dies were hand punched, minute differences exist. A star is a little closer here, or a little rotated here, etc. Many collectors try and collect all the different die pairs for a certain date, etc.

Pretty much all early US coins are collected in this manner, with a different numbering scheme for different series (Bust Dollars, for example, are collected by Bolender number).

Some of us, like myself, don't like VAMs (which are only on Morgan and Peace dollars - the Van Allen-Mallis numbering system) because most of them are incredibly inconsequential and require a microscope to see. But be careful in your terminology - VAMs are only for Morgans and Peace dollars, and they are just the naming scheme for the varieties.

Not disputing your word since you have the coin in hand, but why do you think that it is the "a" die state of the O-110? I see no sign of the die crack at S4 through S7 that would make it this state.

The die crack spans from S4-S7 under a loop. With the toning it was hard to see in the pic, but it's there. I need to practice my extreme closeup shots, but you can kinda make it out in the pic provided. Well, a little here and there anyway. lol