• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New collector question on what I see with LED light 20x Magnification

11 posts in this topic

I have just recently started collecting coins in the last 90 days so I am new at this. I just purchased a Bright white LED light and 20X Magnifier and started looking at my coins very closely to make sure I have good coins in my collection. On some of my purchases I have found white spots or a lighter shade of silver then the rest of the coin on some of my American Silver Eagles? This has appeared on some NGC PF70 & PF69's and some of the proofs I have purchased? I have read about some people who use Black Lights to check for coin damage does the LED bright white light work the same as a Black Light to check for coin damage? If so what most likely are these spot or lines that abear like ghost marks and mostly can only been seen using the Bright LED Light? Although some of what can only been seen under the light does appear as very small or tiny spots in normal light or you will see nothing until you use the LED Light? Any Ideas? Thanks

Welcome. At this time I will simply state that you are engaged in overkill if you are routinely examining coins with 20x magnification. Most use 3x to 6x and some use 10x.

Agree with Tom. I use a 7x myself which is just fine. The spotting ur descibing could be faint, what they call, Milkspots. Welcome to the forum and the joys of collecting!

Welcome. At this time I will simply state that you are engaged in overkill if you are routinely examining coins with 20x magnification. Most use 3x to 6x and some use 10x.

I always use 10x. The only time you need 20x is for VAMs, and then you need more like 50x.

I always use 10x. The only time you need 20x is for VAMs, and then you need more like 50x.

Me too, 10X is just right.

First of all, welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

I use 5x, 7x and rarely 10x. Even 10x is overkill except when one is looking for extremely small die markers, and 20x is completely impractical for normal coin inspection. At 10x or 20x, you are going to see myriad tiny defects that always ever-present even on the highest grade coins.

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

What everyone has said is true unless you're like me. My vision is not that good so I need a Hubble telescope to see anything.

I don't know about the LED lighting. I've seen photos produced with a DinoLite microscope which uses LED lighting, and I'm not all that impressed. I prefer to use either incandescent for most photos or examination and halogen for super close-ups with my stereomicroscope.

Chris

welcome to the forums. i like to use a 5x or 10x loupe when im looking at coins. i guess it all depends on which one i take with me to check things out. best wishes john

Welcome.

I've been using an Oscar Meyer wiener in the shape of a loop. It gives clear 1x magnification and tastes much better than a glass loupe.

Welcome.

I've been using an Oscar Meyer wiener in the shape of a loop. It gives clear 1x magnification and tastes much better than a glass loupe.

I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener.

Oh, that is what I'd really like to be.

For if I was an Oscar Mayer wiener,

Everyone would be in love with me.

B-O-L-O-G-N-A!

Chris