• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first dip in the NGC grading pool! - Partial Results!

19 posts in this topic

Okay, I just submitted my toned Peaces to NGC for grading. 15 coins total, 3 on the Express Coupon, 5 to cross @ any grade from PCGS holders (well if Rick Montgomery can do it, so can my Peaces, plus I want the set to be uniform) and 7 ecomony submissions.

How long is it taking on this side of the street for economy submissions?

Has anyone had problems with crossing @ any grade?

What are the steps in the grading process that NGC uses on its "Check Status" page. I saw "Received Coins" "Scheduled for Grading" and "Quality Control." Are there any others? When do they actually post the grades?

What is everyone's thoughts of NGC's grading now that Montgomery is over here?

Thanks for the assistance.

Michael

How long is it taking on this side of the street for economy submissions?

Too long. It takes about 30+ days over here.

Has anyone had problems with crossing @ any grade?

Nope. I've sent a few coins in for crossover. All the ones that I expected to cross did, all those that I expected not to cross didn't. The ones where I wasn't sure if they would cross was a mixture. Overall, I think it was very fair. They were a mixture of PCGS, ANACS, ICG.

What is everyone's thoughts of NGC's grading now that Montgomery is over here?

Considering few, if any, people that has had a coin graded since he got here have received it back yet, it is too early to say. Also, unlike at PCGS where he was the final say, he isn't here. I'm guessing that there will be little if any change in the grading standards at NGC. Let's hope so, since they are the last consistent grading service.

You stated:

"Let's hope so, since they (NGC) are the last consistent grading service."

Interesting statement. I have been purchasing some 2002 Ohio-p state quarters,

PCGS ms68; (with flag): and upon inspection, they don't seem up to snuff to be ms68, maybe ms67, at best.

Is PCGS losing their touch? What have you heard?

Thanks,

I just received a call from NCS on a coin I sent in with two others with my free NGC express grading!! I was also able to look at my coins on my email!!!! All I can say is the next time I send coins for grading they will go to NGC!!!!! One of the three coins did not grade like I would have thought it would, but the other two were "dead on" with what I thought they would grade! There service IMO can't be beat! Thanks... smile.gif

Ughhhhh! Well not really unexpected.

My first three NGC grades, actually my first 3 body bags - ever!

25 toned Peace -- AT

23-S toned Peace -- AT

22-S toned Peace -- Harsh Cleaning

All were submitted under the Express Coupon, for free.

I actually expected the BB on the 23-S, I was hoping the 25 was OK and I kinda thought the 22-S was a little to hairlined to make it, but for free it was worth a shot.

Hopefully, the other coins will come back much better!

I must say though, what a turnaround. Coins were received yesterday and shipped today - 24 hours instead of 48 hours. Great service despite the result.

Michael

I'm waiting for my membership info and coupons. I'm going to use the coupons to cross three $20 Saint Gaudens in PCGS MS64 holders. I'm hoping atleast one will grade higher as I've read PCGS is just a little more picky (maybe 1/2 grade) than NGC. How many of you have had luck trying this?

I have tried to cross from PCGS to NGC, and my results were brutal -- so much so that I felt compelled to contact John Maben about 'em.

(Don't read more into this than there is; all I did was exchange polite messages with him, and no further action was taken.)

So, to those who think NGC is a push-over just because PCGS is tough with accepting NGC-slabbed coins ... yer gonna get a rude awakening!

EVP

I would like to hear some PCGS to NGC crossover results. I'm mostly interested in $20 Gold crossovers. Is it better to break them out and send in raw or keep slabbed. I know NGC can't take to many PCGS MS64's and slab them MS65 or people would start to think less of their grading skills, but some MS64's could and should grade higher. Neither company wants to become just another ACG debacle.

I would also like to hear people's thoughts on best grading companies. Please number the following from 1 for best and 7 for worst. Here are my thoughts.

1) PCGS

2) NGC

3) ANACS

4) NTC

5) PCI

6) SEGS

7) ACG

Don't know if anyone else will agree but in the early commemorative series that I have paid closest attention to of late, most of the really nice coins have been in NGC holders. Based only on my amateur observation, I would say this is because NGC gives more credit for eye appeal and attractive toning as opposed to PCGS's more technical counting of marks. I am not sure which approach is best, but if you enjoy looking at your coins with your eye and not with a binocular microscope, there really is no contest.

I would also like to hear people's thoughts on best grading companies.

I guess that all depends on how you define 'best'. To me best means most consistent.

If you agree with that, then it is:

1) NGC

2) PCGS

3) ANACS

4) SEGS (I don't think they are too far away from ANACS).

5) ICG

6) ACG/ PCI/NTC (they all suck and are all over the map when grading).

Edited to add ICG. I see so few of their coins in the marketplace I forgot they existed.

As far as grading services, each has their own strengths and weaknesses, but in general:

1. NGC/PCGS

2. ANACS/ICG

3. Everyone else (I don't own any slabs beyond the ones listed above).

As far as $20 Saints, my contention is that NGC is much more consistent, and would not view them as being more or less conservative than PCGS. So, don't expect to hit the jackpot with a lot of higher numbers on the plastic. I have however seen far more undergraded Saints in PCGS holders simply due to their rampant inconsistency in grading (some of this has to do with the market vs. technical debate, i.e. I picture one of their graders debating MS-62 or AU-58? Then they flip another Saint from the submission, making sure they put a nice thumbprint on the obverse, and dinging it a few times, and oh! Heads! Must be AU). So ultimately, if you have a discerning eye, you can find potential upgrades in PCGS holders more often than NGC. Though looking at my collection right now, I have a 28 that I am sure is a lock at a 65, even though it's in an NGC 64 holder, and I also have a few PCGS coins in 64 holders that by all rights should be 63s. But since I collect Saints, and not slabs, I paid what I felt were appropriate prices for the coins based on what I felt the grades truly were!

well as far as grading consistency, I would say:

1) NGC

2) ANACS

3) PCGS

I have seen a ton of ANACS graded coins and think the grade consistency is pretty darn spot on from slab to slab to slab from them.

I like NGC the best.

PCGS second.

What I love about ACG, if anyone could love them is that when it comes to giving, say, a

ASE MS70 slab to a nine year old grandson (especially his birth year), knowing that the youngin' will probably never get into serious coin collecting. Grandpa becomes a real hero, for only 25-35 bucks. I just keep hypeing on the fact that it's the highest rating a coin can get; and that seems to satisfy their young, inexperienced minds.

lol

I also like to try and find birth year sets of ACG PF70 for the grandkids. Geez, for a 100 bucks or so, I can get the 1,5,10,25,50 cent (clad+silver) proof coins slabbed; and the grandkids are really thinking I'm a cool guy.

I like PCGS's inconsistency in grading most everything...not as a submitter but as a buyer. I almost never submit to PCGS. Recently I was able to buy some nice $20 gold pieces that they were very conservative on. I rarely look at large gold at a coin show or shop and like even 10% of what I see. Thanks PCGS for being so consistently inconsistent.

roadrunner

Really Roadrunner? I usually try to buy raw MS-65 coins for MS-64 money over the internet! JUST KIDDING!!! I have found the same thing to be true, and have found some spectacular coins even graded down to AU-58 where I still can't see the rub under 10X. I've also found the other side beneficial as I've had some real dogs in MS-63 to MS-65 holders, and I've been able to sell them for a lot more than I think they were worth, just because of the plastic. If you are selective though, there are loads of bargains to be had in larger denomination gold, particularly Saints.

Please don't tell me you gave $100 of your hard earned money to ACG to grade some modern proof sets frown.gif

On the other hand, if you just bought ACG slabs second hand I see no problem with that as long as you know what you are getting.