• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a major difference in photo's

3 posts in this topic

all for under a dollar

I sat here today continuing to research on how I could make my coin photo's better. As with most of you I continue to learn the more advanced settings of my Canon EOS digital camera. If you recall back in December I purchased an "Ott" type lamp which really made a big leap in the quality of the photo's I had taken before the lamp. Now today as I was sitting here the proverbial lamp went on over my head (pardon the pun)

Construct a light box and shoot the photo's inside.

The more I read and researched many articles talk about having the correct "White Balance". Well, most digital camera's set this automatically. You can custom set it by going to the more advanced settings and I am working on learning those but for the time being I have been using auto settings.

Well, the light box made all the difference in the world. I took a small cardboard box and cut it down to a bit smaller size. I then lined the inside with double pages of 96 brightness printer paper. Then tried a few shots and was amazed at the results. I have attached a photo I took today of the obverse of one of my Franklin Proofs. I did use a tripod and set the shutter timer on the camera. I will be anxious to shoot some of my other coins especially the Morgans and see the difference. If anyone is interested in seeing the box and lamp let me know.

Good luck in getting the shots you want.

moondoggy

8918.jpg

See more journals by moondoggy

Nice picture taking skills you got there Mike. I use a Canon Powershot A540 for my pics...about 4 years old... and I am far below your skill level. It doesn't have the capability of getting quality close up pictures. What works for me in the light area is taking the pics outside in the sun...lol. That speaks volumes about my ability and skill! But at least most of my pics are clear and I am slowing updating the bad ones.

Please send a shot of your setup.

Take care

Jeffrey

Mike,

Is this the same coin that someone said earlier didn't have any CAMEO aspects? She sure is looking the grade and may have it when you get a little better there.

Later----Rick