• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone explain this?

12 posts in this topic

I was just checking Barnes & Noble and Amazon for the book, The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors by Alan Herbert. New copies are selling for $200-$450 while used copies are selling for $20-$40. What is going on?

Chris

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...to+Mint+Errors

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...bmint%2berrors

Amazon added all of that garbage. The book was at the top of the page, but now it's at the bottom (very small) and now you have to click on it to go to yet another page. These dang companies have all kinds of ways to insert their junk.

I don't know what the deal is with B&N. I'm going to try again.

Chris

The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors

by Alan Herbert .

(Be the first to review this item) (0) .Add To List uiAction=GetAllLists&page=List&pageType=list&ean=9780375722158&productCode=BK&maxCount=100&threshold=3 ..Paperback $21.95 Buy from BN.com

.Eligible for FREE Shipping Details ...978037572215821.9500http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Official-Price-Guide-to-Mint-Errors/Alan-Herbert/p/9780375722158

$447.71

$21.95 List Price .Used & New from Marketplace

Usually ships in 1-2 business days

1 New from $447.71.See All Copies

It means that someplace in the world there is a company trying to sell the book, in new condition, at that price. I've seen the same thing with my Renaissance books where you can buy a new copy for $500 even though Wizard Coin Supply has them for $55. Sellers usually try this with out-of-print books.

I see things like that all the time, a few reasonably priced copies and then some with absolutely silly prices. If you look at all the sellers of the seventh edition of the book on Amazon you will find the last guy is offering an ex-library copy for $765.40 plus $4 shipping.

sellers with prices like that hope a deep pocket buyer will jump on the first they see and do not price compare and shop around

they do not have high turnover but the ones they sell make alot

some sellers listing like that, do not even have the copy, but can get one quickly to fill the occasional order

This is a known phenomenon on Amazon.

Apparently, sellers use price-changing macros that anaylze similar products, and change the price accordingly.

Sometimes, this results in macro wars, leading to ridiculously high prices.

You don't see ridiculously low prices because they can cap the low price.

nurse-ratched.jpg

Attention Amazon shoppers, now on sake at the gift shop, Alan Herbert's,

The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors, cheap!

Attention Amazon shoppers! Alan Herbert's, The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors, will be available in the gift shop as soon as the amputations are completed.

Chris