• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever buy coins that....

32 posts in this topic

So do you ever buy coins that break all the rules? Either within your collecting or rules you set against yourself, such as trying not to buy AT or enhanced coins. Well I had seen a coin at the TNA show a few weeks back but did not buy it. It was part of a set, and knowing the dealer was local I finally broke down and bought the set. After a few weeks the coin was still burned in my head, and I remember telling myself.. this coin is AT or at least enhcnaced, but I like it anyhow. As for it being AT or enhanced, well that is debatable. Some might call it MA, but I think this one was enhanced at some point. Anyhow share a story of a coin you bought that you knew broke your rules.

Coin in question: Feel free to give opinions and or whatever you think of this coin.

bn131.png

bn13.png

Sorry for screwing up the white balance, I was just not being diligent, but the color is pretty close to spot on. Other than cropping nothing else was done to the photos. The rest of the set is largely untoned and grades from G4 to MS 63

I have never cared much for anything that I knew was altered or damaged but broke the rule a few times over something I found to be really cool. This Morgan cost me $7.50 about 20 years back. That was probably well over it's silver value. Will never understand folks that try to alter a coin that already has a nice value, as is.

1895Morgan.jpg1895morganrev.jpg1895morganrev2.jpg

I never break the 'rules', as it'd be much like buying one of 'those' coins...the one you aren't sure of, the one you don't love 100%...you know that it doesn't sit well with you. If you aren't 100% happy with it at the time you buy it, every time you look at it, you like it less and less, and there will always comes that day you wished you hadn't purchased it.

Now, for problematic, AT or altered coins, I 'just say no'...period.....though I don't have to worry about AT, as I'm not a big fan of toners.

I don't think your Buffalo is AT at all.

The hidden mix of lavender and lime green- stuck between the devices- I've seen on NT nickels of that era.

So do you ever buy coins that break all the rules? Either within your collecting or rules you set against yourself, such as trying not to buy AT or enhanced coins. Well I had seen a coin at the TNA show a few weeks back but did not buy it. It was part of a set, and knowing the dealer was local I finally broke down and bought the set. After a few weeks the coin was still burned in my head, and I remember telling myself.. this coin is AT or at least enhcnaced, but I like it anyhow. As for it being AT or enhanced, well that is debatable. Some might call it MA, but I think this one was enhanced at some point. Anyhow share a story of a coin you bought that you knew broke your rules.

Coin in question: Feel free to give opinions and or whatever you think of this coin.

Sorry for screwing up the white balance, I was just not being diligent, but the color is pretty close to spot on. Other than cropping nothing else was done to the photos. The rest of the set is largely untoned and grades from G4 to MS 63

Why don't you send it over to PCGS? They might like it. :devil:

Joe has an entire collection of Buffaloes that look like that, and everyone says there are NT. What's the difference?

Thanks a lot BUDDY....I do love toned Buffalo Nickels, but to say my entire collection looks like this one is being a little rough, yes? I hope so. This buff is AU to start with and the colors look funny to me, at least the obverse does .

The fields on the reverse look quite beautiful and I like the green. Send it in just to see if it will grade.

Bruce, you should expect an offer by PM soon from Buffalo Head! I think it's impressive honestly and would be proud to own it. I think it's for sure MA.

Joe has an entire collection of Buffaloes that look like that, and everyone says there are NT. What's the difference?

Thanks a lot BUDDY....I do love toned Buffalo Nickels, but to say my entire collection looks like this one is being a little rough, yes? I hope so. This buff is AU to start with and the colors look funny to me, at least the obverse does .

The fields on the reverse look quite beautiful and I like the green. Send it in just to see if it will grade.

I think he was more meaning the colorful part of the coin.You have some serious coins that would blow this coin away!

I meant no offense, Joe! I was paying you a compliment :hi:

I have said over and over that Buffaloes are my weak spot - I can't grade them for beans. I was just saying that Bruce's coin looks pretty good to me, alot like some of yours, and I'm having a hard time telling the difference.

I think he was more meaning the colorful part of the coin.You have some serious coins that would blow this coin away!

Agree...but I'm not sure I agree with Joe on the grade. The coin has some hits but those could be bag marks and since it's a photo I can't see if Buffalo's hip has rub. It does NOT look like it in the photo.

As to the AT: I'm agnostic: I don't know and I don't care. lol The important thing is that you like it.

jom

I'm with Joe Buffalo on this one. I'd say it's in the AU58 category. As for the toning, I's say it's definitely market acceptable. The only thing that bothers me are the carbon spots. Other than that, I wouldn't mind owning that coin.

I'm with Joe Buffalo on this one. I'd say it's in the AU58 category. As for the toning, I's say it's definitely market acceptable. The only thing that bothers me are the carbon spots. Other than that, I wouldn't mind owning that coin.

If that toning is market acceptible, there shouldn't be any problem getting it slabbed. Right? lol

Just to be clear. No offence taken what so ever. I think this coin has acceptable eye appeal and really do believe it to be original toning. I've seen many Buffs just like this one in PCGS & NGC slabs.....Joe

Just to be clear. No offence taken what so ever. I think this coin has acceptable eye appeal and really do believe it to be original toning. I've seen many Buffs just like this one in PCGS & NGC slabs.....Joe

Sooo this shows I know nothing about buffaloes!

No pix, but I'll occasionally buy AT'ed coins if the coin is attractive and the premium is minimal.

Bruce---- Yes, I am guilty every once in awhile. I recently bought a PCGS Walker that, from the Ebay pictures, I thought was AT. When I got it, I knew that I was right. But, for what I paid for the coin----and its eye appeal, I decided to keep it and use it as a TEACHING TOOL.

Probably will put it into my second registry set----and point out my reasoning for it being AT. But, no question about it, PCGS thought the coin as MA----and I agree with the grading. I surmise that most folks wouldn't know that it had been fooled with. Bob [supertooth]

This is the only coin I have bought that broke my own personal rules, but it wasnt bought for me. My niece had seen it on ebay and wanted it to make a necklace out of. It's definately AT without a doubt. But I will admit, even I liked how it looked once I seen it in person

-Chris#2

TonedGAQuarter.jpg

Hey Ankur, I was gonna say nice to meet you on my way out of the show and back to work but you were already gone by then. I gave you a shot out in my other show thread about your very nice selection of coins.

For a buff, it's nice :)

I think it has a shot at slabbing. Heck, I have a franklin that many folks that wouldn't slab in a "real" holder (it was in PCI) due to the toning. I almost listened to them. I finally sent it in when I had a submission to kill (a modern voucher).

It slabbed as a cross....first attempt.

Your buff? If the picture is accurate.....I think it has a chance and would do it.