• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Pulls From Circulation

11 posts in this topic

Went through a can that I have that I throw all my spare change in and thought these were interesting. It was a pretty boring weekend. Don't know what is going on with the Lincoln Cent but think the Rosie was struck with a really worn out die.

1c%2525201939%252520Obverse%2525201015%252520x%2525201024.JPG1c%2525201939%252520Reverse%2525201000%252520x%2525201024.JPG1c%2525201939%252520Reverse%252520Close%252520Up%252520800%252520x%252520753.JPG

10c%252520199x%252520Obverse%252520996%252520x%2525201024.JPG10c%252520199x%252520Reverse%2525201004%252520x%2525201024.JPG

The Lincoln was glued to something at one time.

The Roosevelt is interesting. At first glance it just looks like a grease filled die. But notice the vertical weakness in Roosevelt's head. This would seem to indicate a weak or low pressure strike. However the very strong rims contraindicate that. Also grease filled dies have STRONGER strikes since there is extra material between the dies. What I suspect is an underweight planchet of the proper diameter that didn't have enough material to strike up completely. Such a planchet would not have the material to fill in the design, but the outward expansion against the collar would bring up the rims. What is the weight of this coin? Is it the normal clad composition?

The Lincoln was glued to something at one time.

The Roosevelt is interesting. At first glance it just looks like a grease filled die. But notice the vertical weakness in Roosevelt's head. This would seem to indicate a weak or low pressure strike. However the very strong rims contraindicate that. Also grease filled dies have STRONGER strikes since there is extra material between the dies. What I suspect is an underweight planchet of the proper diameter that didn't have enough material to strike up completely. Such a planchet would not have the material to fill in the design, but the outward expansion against the collar would bring up the rims. What is the weight of this coin? Is it the normal clad composition?

Don't have the weight of the coin, no scale. It is a typical clad 199x dime. I was thinking really bad die, however, the word "DIME" seems really well struck compared to everything else on the coin. It sort of reminds me of the Buffalo Nickel series where they didn't compress the dies all the way to the planchet in an effort to extend the life of the dies. This resulted in weak strikes in this series for many dates.

Pretty cool roosie there! I agre with conder on the lincoln. Looks like remnants of whatever was on it are still there. At first I was thinkin lamination, but conder made me look a little closer.

Pretty cool roosie there! I agre with conder on the lincoln. Looks like remnants of whatever was on it are still there. At first I was thinkin lamination, but conder made me look a little closer.

Do you know if the streaking on the obverse of the Lincoln is normal? I'm not much of a Lincoln collector.

If the cent was glued to something, and I agree it was, that was some strong glue and this cent was glued to something harder than it because the glue stayed with surface this cent was glued to. I also looks to be recently detached from whatever it was glued to.

Not sure on the streaking. They look more like it was scarped or something. I thought polish lines were more uniformed where these marks vary in size. (shrug)

The "streaking" on the obverse isn't really "normal". They are polish lines because they are incuse into the coin.. I don't think they are damage from the coin being scraped because they are even in protected areas and the go all the way to the edges of the devices. Typically if something is scrapeing across a coin it will "lift up" off the field before it reaches the devices. Then when it comes off the other side there is a "jump' before it makes contact with the field again. These look like very heavy striations in the planchet from before striking.

The "streaking" on the obverse isn't really "normal". They are polish lines because they are incuse into the coin.. I don't think they are damage from the coin being scraped because they are even in protected areas and the go all the way to the edges of the devices. Typically if something is scrapeing across a coin it will "lift up" off the field before it reaches the devices. Then when it comes off the other side there is a "jump' before it makes contact with the field again. These look like very heavy striations in the planchet from before striking.

Thanks. Always happy when I learn something new.

Sorry there was an error in that quote.. The second sentence should be the They AREN'T polish lines because they are incuse into the coin.