• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dansco Holder toned Kennedys...how things change

9 posts in this topic

Some years ago (1993 to be exact) I put together a Kennedy set (raw) and placed them in a modern Dansco album. The coins have been there since with the exception of one that really toned rather quickly. Now the ONE coin that toned the most at first was this 1982-P which I first took out of the Dansco in roughly 2000. Here is a pic of it taken in 2002:

50c-82p_small.jpg

I took the coin out and had it in a snap holder (plastic) and it stopped its toning process. Then, like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I put the thing back into the Dansco (same blank hole) in roughly 2008. I just recently took it out again because it was getting to the point where it now looks a bit funny. Here it is now:

50c-82p_small.jpg

The Dansco holder itself has toned a few others, all of which have been in the album (until recently) since 1993. However, ALL of the other coins in the set have little or no toning. I also have an Ike set and a Washington set and none of the clads in those sets have toned liked these. I guess it really is just random.

Here are the other ones from the same album with photos taken in 2002 then just last week:

50c-83p_small.jpg

50c-83p_small.jpg

50c-83p_A_small.jpg

50c-83p_A_small.jpg

50c-84d_small.jpg

50c-84d_small.jpg

50c-86d_small.jpg

50c-86d_small.jpg

Anyone think any of these get "bagged" at the TPGs? hm If so, that would be a real "learning" experience for me. heh

jom

I'm not sure about the bagging of them but I think they look MA to me. I like the way the Danscos tone myself. I think all of them kennedys look nice to me.

Anyone think any of these get "bagged" at the TPGs? hm If so, that would be a real "learning" experience for me.

If so, then that is a pretty sad state of affairs, because anyone familiar with Dansco toning would instantly recognize yours as CLASSIC examples. I own quite a few myself, from my ten-year-old set, and they are 100% no-question naturally toned coins, as are yours.

I would be interested to know whether they get bagged. If the do, then the TPG in question will have failed to do its homework!

If so, then that is a pretty sad state of affairs..

I agree...in fact, I've had this fantasy where I send the coins in and they come back BB'd and I'd get a very good laugh out of it. Then I'd realize how much money I wasted on the submission and break down like a baby. lol

I'm not certain that I'll be submitting any of these anytime soon. For me personally, I would only do so if I considered selling them which isn't likely. To me, it's a waste of money otherwise as I believe in only putting out the dough WHEN it is necessary and not a second sooner. I don't need the TPGs to tell me what they think of the coins...I couldn't care less. All I know is that I love the pieces...I just wish MORE of the coins had toned. It was just luck with that one album because, like I said, the Washingtons and the Ikes didn't do squat.

Bsshog: That is strange toning indeed. I have NO experience with copper at all with these holders....it's certainly looks different and rather nice too.

jom

By any chance did the coins at the edges of the album are the ones that toned? I have a few album sets and my hard cover green whitman albums tone coins no matter what slot the coins are in! The albums that have slides the coins tone much more at the edges of the album like the top row, bottom row, and the row at the edge where it opens. Its also a much slower process.

Here are some whitman toners :)

DSCN3209-horz.jpg

DSCN3207-horz.jpg

If so, then that is a pretty sad state of affairs..

I agree...in fact, I've had this fantasy where I send the coins in and they come back BB'd and I'd get a very good laugh out of it. Then I'd realize how much money I wasted on the submission and break down like a baby. lol

I'm not certain that I'll be submitting any of these anytime soon. For me personally, I would only do so if I considered selling them which isn't likely. To me, it's a waste of money otherwise as I believe in only putting out the dough WHEN it is necessary and not a second sooner. I don't need the TPGs to tell me what they think of the coins...I couldn't care less. All I know is that I love the pieces...I just wish MORE of the coins had toned. It was just luck with that one album because, like I said, the Washingtons and the Ikes didn't do squat.

Bsshog: That is strange toning indeed. I have NO experience with copper at all with these holders....it's certainly looks different and rather nice too.

jom

It wouldn't matter to me, either, how the grading service would view them. I think they look great. Just don't "overcook" them in the Dansco!

Chris

It wouldn't matter to me, either, how the grading service would view them. I think they look great. Just don't "overcook" them in the Dansco!

Chris

Basically, that is what happened with that 82-P at the top. Over cooked a bit after I put it back in the album...mistake, IMO.

All of the coins, plus a couple of others I didn't show have all been taken out and replace with other "white" coins. Uh...oh...that shows INTENT..therefore these must be AT! :o

As to the places where the "magic" holes are located: There are four holes across, two of the places are in the two in the middle (slots 2 and 3), one is on the inside edge and another is slot 3 again. It seems random to me though.

jom

Those are some mighty fine looking Kennedy's you have there bud! I never even gave a Kennedy half dollar a second look till I saw these of yours, there beauts Clark!!