• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's amazing how...

45 posts in this topic

"Some folks can automatically dismiss a(n NGC) coin based on a so-so photo, a 68* grade and other vapor-thin premises."

Fixed! ;)

I don't agree with the NGC bashing, but there is no way that I would give that coin a star, much less the MS68 grade unless Tomaska's photos are off. I don't find this uneven toning attractive, and I have seen BOTH services slab coins that I would have downgraded. I would grade the referenced coin a MS66.

Here is the image from Tomaska's website:

1948_P_FRANKLIN__4dbb2daacb7c6.png

I don't find this uneven toning attractive,

I'll gladly be the lone wolf here and say that coin is flat out ugly.

It looks attractive to me. Regardless of how it appears in the images, however, 1) we don't know how it looks in person and 2) my guess is that it looks better, not worse, in-hand.

The spotty toning and obvious numerous large fingerprints limit the grade. This should not be any higher than a 66, and no star, even if the colors are fantastic. The eye appeal is just too limited. Sorry, and you guys know I love Franklins and NGC. I'd say the same no matter what holder or grade it had.

OK, wonder if the owner can somehow take or get us a good photo of the coin? Tomaska's new Franklin book is great, but I don't think the photos do it justice. The 1961 Franklin half in that book (the rainbow section) is mine; the colors are all there, but they really missed on the luster aspect. I'm betting that 1948 half is better in hand, a 68* is a lofty grade, so it better be good! :/

So did this just recently upgrade? I have Ricks book sitting in my hands dated 2011 and this Frankie shows to be MS67*FBL.

I saw the coin several years ago. It's certainly a pretty coin. As to it being a 68*, meh, I find it VERY hard to consider that coin to be technically the finest Franklin out there. I'm assuming Rick sent it in multiple times and he eventually got lucky.

I'd certainly consider other Franklins to be 68*'s before that one, and truthfully I am comfortable with Franklin grades topping out at 67*. Given the design, there are just too many areas where little nicks/dings can show. Personally I can't imagine anyone spending the sort of money that Tomaska is asking for (or probably even his bottom line) on that coin. When I saw the coin several years ago he was asking $17,000 and I thought that was ridiculously high then.

Yep Bobby, it recently upgraded to 68 star. I believe he has a price tag of somewhere near 68k on it?

Thanks coindude! And after reading more of the posts ats, I just had to throw my 2 cents in:

"This must be the results of a recent re-submittal. I have Ricks 2011 book in my hand and the Frankie in question shows to be NGCMS67*FBL. Now me personally, am unable to judge a coin strictly by photo. I can however say that I've seen over-graded coins in both top TPG holders, and for people to down-grade a TPG because they don't agree with one coins grade is certainly from narrow-minded individuals."

Dang, think they'll ban me? lol

It looks like a remarkably difficult-to-image coin combined with poor quality images, but leave it to band of boastful kool-aid drinkers to blabber about a coin with absolutely no first-person experience whatsoever. I'd bet that zero of them have actually seen the coin in hand.

But, that's why this is the proper side of the street!!

If Jason had the money... it would only be mildly crazy! lol

No, even if I had the money I'd still think that one would be insane. I'd pay $1500 for that, tops.

I was reading the BST ATS, and TDN was offering 5k for a lead on a coin... now that is crazy!

PS, did I have enough acronyms in this reply? :)

If Jason had the money... it would only be mildly crazy! lol

No, even if I had the money I'd still think that one would be insane. I'd pay $1500 for that, tops.

Unless the coin is a knock out in hand, I believe you are still being generous.

Okay, so here is my question: NT, MA, or AT?

I see absolutely nothing to question the originality of the toning. I'm just questioning the absurd premium and ridiculous overgrading of the coin.

I don't think much of it's assigned grade, but it IS only an image....but someone used 'meh'.....my sentiments. I wonder what the Bushmeister would say...even his opinion based on the image.

I was reading the BST ATS, and TDN was offering 5k for a lead on a coin... now that is crazy!

Not a lead, but rather a completed transaction. And it would be well worth it should it actually occur

One thing I can probably guess with some certainty - if PCGS had graded this coin a 68+, some of those same boys ATS would literally be p*ssing theselves into a frenzy to see that coin and congratulate the owner, picture be damned.

However, $85K for that coin is insane, bet it sits for awhile at that price.

One thing I can probably guess with some certainty - if PCGS had graded this coin a 68+, some of those same boys ATS would literally be p*ssing theselves into a frenzy to see that coin and congratulate the owner, picture be damned.

I think you're wrong - and as evidence I reference to several threads concerning a certain MS68 trade dollar in a PCGS holder.

When a coin pictures fugly, it doesn't matter which holder it's in, it's gonna get critiqued rather harshly.

Not a lead, but rather a completed transaction. And it would be well worth it should it actually occur
No offense intended, I know you read and post over here so I hope you don't take it as derogatory. Just stating a fact. For most of us, 5 k is more than we'd spend on most of our coins. So paying that much for a lead is a bit outlandish... for us! But I understand, if a coin is a six figure coin, paying 5k for a completed transaction would be well worth the money, for the right coin that is.