• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's amazing how...

45 posts in this topic

I was reading the BST ATS, and TDN was offering 5k for a lead on a coin... now that is crazy!

PS, did I have enough acronyms in this reply? :)

Not a lead, but rather a completed transaction. And it would be well worth it should it actually occur
No offense intended, I know you read and post over here so I hope you don't take it as derogatory. Just stating a fact. For most of us, 5 k is more than we'd spend on most of our coins. So paying that much for a lead is a bit outlandish... for us! But I understand, if a coin is a six figure coin, paying 5k for a completed transaction would be well worth the money, for the right coin that is.

I recognize it's a large sum - it was designed to catch attention and it did. But it's only 1-2% of the price, so on a percentage basis it's quite appropriate.

I was reading the BST ATS, and TDN was offering 5k for a lead on a coin... now that is crazy!

PS, did I have enough acronyms in this reply? :)

Not a lead, but rather a completed transaction. And it would be well worth it should it actually occur
No offense intended, I know you read and post over here so I hope you don't take it as derogatory. Just stating a fact. For most of us, 5 k is more than we'd spend on most of our coins. So paying that much for a lead is a bit outlandish... for us! But I understand, if a coin is a six figure coin, paying 5k for a completed transaction would be well worth the money, for the right coin that is.

I recognize it's a large sum - it was designed to catch attention and it did. But it's only 1-2% of the price, so on a percentage basis it's quite appropriate.

What coin are you looking for? I hadn't heard about this offer?

$5k finders fee for a gem bust dollar offered to Laura that I purchase for my set.

I nominated any of several of the raw, never-seen-a-slab bust dollars that Eric Newman owns lol !

$5k finders fee for a gem bust dollar offered to Laura that I purchase for my set.

Capped or Draped?

I know its not what you are looking for, but have you seen the Gem Flowing Hair dollar at Heritage?

Capped or Draped?

I know its not what you are looking for, but have you seen the Gem Flowing Hair dollar at Heritage?

It won't sticker...

Capped or Draped?

It won't sticker...

Does that mean it's overgraded or just low end for the grade? Do you know that it's been tried or is this based on how the coin looks to you.

Capped or Draped?

It won't sticker...

What makes you say that? Keep in mind, I haven't seen the coin in hand, and have no idea what its actually like.

Well, you know by reading my new liking of Franklins.

The coin shown deserves a Star for a few reasons, I bettca there is a amazing cameo underneath the toning.

Also the coin has a nice but different pattern.. WTG NGC.. Now, stop bashing art, start bashing the cost of toliet paper because a ton of u utes have a lot of withca.. George

The coin shown deserves a Star for a few reasons, I bettca there is a amazing cameo underneath the toning.

Also the coin has a nice but different pattern.. WTG NGC.. Now, stop bashing art, start bashing the cost of toliet paper because a ton of u utes have a lot of withca.. George

As opposed to Proofs, business strike coins of that type hardly ever display frosted devices. So it is extremely unlikely that there is any cameo effect beneath the toning.

As opposed to Proofs, business strike coins of that type hardly ever display frosted devices. So it is extremely unlikely that there is any cameo effect beneath the toning.

Mark, thanks again for your expertist. I have seen a couple of MS Franklins years ago with Frosted strikes, not blazing but they had them, do you think they were mislabled when I viewed them at one time.

If you say this coin doesn't have any Cameo/Frost I agree with you because of the history and the volume you have graded and owned in your time. Thanks again.. George

Mark, thanks again for your expertist. I have seen a couple of MS Franklins years ago with Frosted strikes, not blazing but they had them, do you think they were mislabled when I viewed them at one time.

If you say this coin doesn't have any Cameo/Frost I agree with you because of the history and the volume you have graded and owned in your time. Thanks again.. George

I don't know of any highly regarded grading company which would have labeled business strike Franklin half dollars as "Cameo" or "Frosted Strikes". Perhaps you're speaking of uncertified coins and notes written on a holder by the coin's owner.

Capped or Draped?

It won't sticker...

What makes you say that? Keep in mind, I haven't seen the coin in hand, and have no idea what its actually like.

I'm being nice

I don't agree with the NGC bashing, but there is no way that I would give that coin a star, much less the MS68 grade unless Tomaska's photos are off. I don't find this uneven toning attractive, and I have seen BOTH services slab coins that I would have downgraded. I would grade the referenced coin a MS66.

Here is the image from Tomaska's website:

1948_P_FRANKLIN__4dbb2daacb7c6.png

In defense of the graders they didn't arrive at that lofty grade by looking at these photos. I'm not a big fan of the color, either, but, I'm saying, there must be something more to this coin than is coming across in these photos.