• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know anything about silverware?

9 posts in this topic

I have a bag of silverware collecting dust, but before I bother with it I'd like to know if any of it is collectible or if it's just so much scrap. Anyone a collector or know anything about it?

Most of it was manufactured by International Silver company with the first pattern below. It's not a full set, but some forks, spoons, iced tea spoons and one large spoon. There is another single piece marked 1881 Rogers that is the second pattern. Most of the rest is just silverplate and headed for the garage sale. I've looked all over the internet and on 20 or so pages of eBay listings and haven't been able to find the pattern, though it seems like it should be common. Thanks for any help you can provide.

112333.jpg.ab1eaf5f3e368c8f67c7625f321b3a3f.jpg

112334.jpg.4920a6a24418ecdbaf874ab280355084.jpg

Tejas, what did that set sell for?

Jtryka, the first image is of a common pattern for silverware made before 1950. My grandmother had a set exactly like that, which she received in 1938 as a wedding gift.

Most sterling silverware sets are worth their weight in silver, or melt. The only silverware sets I've seen fetch any premiums were sets that were dated back to the 18th century, and made by a world renowned silversmith, such as Paul Revere.

Tejas, what did that set sell for?

Jtryka, the first image is of a common pattern for silverware made before 1950. My grandmother had a set exactly like that, which she received in 1938 as a wedding gift.

Most sterling silverware sets are worth their weight in silver, or melt. The only silverware sets I've seen fetch any premiums were sets that were dated back to the 18th century, and made by a world renowned silversmith, such as Paul Revere.

$7170.00

I would say look for the halmark from the silversmith, otherwise it is probably common. Just my opinion, but the heritage ones have a closeup of the halmark from the silversmith to prove date/authenticity.

Well thanks guys, I took them to the local jewelry store today since I wanted to have my dad's pocketwatch fixed anyway, and they are just silverplate, so they will go to the garage sale next month!

Well thanks guys, I took them to the local jewelry store today since I wanted to have my dad's pocketwatch fixed anyway, and they are just silverplate, so they will go to the garage sale next month!

Just an FYI if you should come across a silverware set purporting to be silver.

Look on the underside of the shaft of the forks, and spoons, and it will be stamped in there STERLING, which is sterling silver and not silver plated. That's the easiest way to tell if the set is actually silver.

Plus you can tell by the feel of the pieces in your hand, sterling silverware is a very smooth, almost sticky kind of feel to it, as compared to silver plate which is more metallic.

Another FYI as well, more of the higher valued sterling silverware sets are a limited number of manufacture, much like the Mint only makes a certain number of different denominations of coins for their collector sets, and some of the really high valued sets which were made exclusively for one customer and there is only one set known to exist, will fetch some high premiums.