• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another new rare Belgian Congo pattern!!! posted by Congo Kid

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Unlisted Pattern

I have yet been lucky enough to purchase another new very rare unlisted (soon to be listed) pattern from a Belgian auction. Not yet graded, but similar to the 1906 20 Centimes Pattern with unpunched hole in aluminum-bronze that I have listed in Part 2 of my Belgian Congo Collection. This piece is a 1911 5 Cetimes pattern with unpunched hole in aluminum-bronze (or brass).

Unreported in Dupriez or Bogaert, 2.53 g, 19 mm.

ex. Veilinghuis Eeckhout-Aalst, May 7, 2011, Lot 148.

I love finding new unknown items for this growing and incredible collection.

I was told that a major coin that I need for this collection is coming to auction soon. Anyone want to donate any large sums of money so I can add it to my collection? It's gonna be quite expensive and I'm poor!

8871.jpg

See more journals by Congo Kid

very cool

but I am curious if an item has not been reported or listed anywhere,

how can you be sure what it is?

rather than a token or contemporary counterfeit?

It would be very cool to own a true pattern coin. U.S. patterns are pretty much out of reach. Maybe there are bargains to be had in the world coin market? I guess I'll have to do a little research.

The coin coming up to auction is going to be far out of my financial reach at this time. Who knows, maybe I will win the lottery before the auction.

World patterns are a real bargin sometimes. Take a look at the Chirico Auction of World Patterns and see how hot the prices were. Many of the coins are extremely rare and even unique or close to such.

There are many coins that have not been seen or documented by the people who were looking at the time. I have found many coins in my Belgian Congo collection that Krause did not have listed. I became a contributor and now those coins are listed. There are just so many coins in the world and only so many people tracking them. So even well studied coin areas get new discoveries from time to time.

Regarding this coin, I have a similar pattern in a different denomination and date, (ie. metallic content and unpunched center hole). I have a good grasp on what these coions should look like and get then certified when I can to confirm their authenticity.

NGC could not determine either way if the coin was genuine or not. They sent it back with a label saying "Authenticity Unverifiable". I know it's real and it looks just like the 1906 20 Centimes Aluminum-Bronze, Unpunched Hole Pattern that NGC graded MS61 (undergraded) previously. That coins I got from the Chirico Collection. Cert #

3103135-011.

I guess I will have to let PCGS take a whack at it. I bought this from a very reliable Belgian Dealer.

To NGC's credit, they have certified several unlisted patterns and varieties in this collection that I have sent them in the past. I have no idea what made them so skittish about this piece. Oh well.

A person that I correspond with online actually recently acquired a piece just like this in Europe. He is going to try to get it graded now as well. If it goes through, that will give credence to my piece. I'll let you all know.