• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still learning, is this Jefferson AT?

17 posts in this topic

I've had this for a little while and have just been curious to know for sure.Thanks much for the imput! .... and while we're at it, what do you think it would grade?

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

i dont know if the jeff is AT or NT

but

i sway on rhe aide of NT

AND most importantly

based on the photo the coin is below average eye appeal and not market

acceptable in my minds eye

I like it as natural

the grade depends on luster and what company you are asking about

looks in the 65-67 range

it also is close to full steps or 5 steps and depends again on company you are talking about

The Jeff looks NT to me also. It doesn't have the norm toning but I'm thinking the pics aren't bringing out more color that it looks to have. These older years are well known for weakly struck. It's hard for me to grade a weak struck coin with very good accuracy. A few nics on the chin but I'm thinking MS63??

In 1941, the Mint was still forging their own metal bases for coins. The Jefferson nickel is comprised of Copper - 75%, Nickel - 25%

If you notice, the streaks all go in one direction which is indicative of an amalgom of two metals combined to produce one. The rolling of the strips to produce the correct thickness creates those distinct markings. The copper is much more reactive to the elements than the nickel, so it tones with age well before the much more inert nickel metal.

This is a classic example of pre-war coinage.

I have seen similar toning patterns on other Jefferson Nickels and nothing strikes me in hand that they would be AT. The eye appeal of these colors can vary, but as you have seen, many people find the color scheme unattractive. To me, the most concerning factor is that it appears from the photo that the toning has muted the luster on the coin. The coin appears to have gem surfaces but based on the apparent luster, I would grade the coin MS64.

I searched a bit through my collection an found a similar looking Jefferson.

JeffersonNickel1941RawBU.jpg