• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent ebay pickup: Bronze Pan American Expo Medal

20 posts in this topic

From the sellers images, this example looked gem red/brown uncirculated. It arrived yesterday, and is even more amazing in hand!

The surfaces are smooth like satin with no abraisions or marks. And to top it off, it comes with the original box in which it was presented, and very carefully stored for the last 110 years!

The design on this medal is bar far my favorite. I fell in love with this design when I first saw an image of it a few years ago.

Off to PCGS for slabbing!

33vkyyt.jpg28b8gpe.jpg

2zyx28p.jpg

AJ

It is 63.7mm in diameter. A Morgan is 38.1, so a little less than twice the size. Its pretty substaintial in hand.

Very nice AnkurJ. Had you been looking around for that for quite some time? or was it just a random purchase? Are you working towards collecting all the tokens that they had produced? or just ones that you feel look better than others?

-Chris#2

Chris,

I have an example in bronze already, but not nearly as nice as this one. I am always looking for these though. For what it sold for, I am more than pleased.

AJ

AJ,

That is certainly a beautiful medal! I tried enlarging it to read the small print, but it became too blurry for me. Is the designer's name on it? Would you mind telling me how much it cost? I might be interested in searching for one.

Chris

That is a really nice medal. I especially like the fact that you got the original box with it. It's really hard to get medals like this in the original box. I've been looking for the Philadelphia Centennial silver piece in the original box for several years and have not been able to find one.

That is a really nice medal. I especially like the fact that you got the original box with it. It's really hard to get medals like this in the original box. I've been looking for the Philadelphia Centennial silver piece in the original box for several years and have not been able to find one.

Bill,

Is the silver medal for the Centennial (International Exhibition) the same size as the monster I have of the Award medal in bronze/copper......76mm......9.9 oz.?

I've never seen one, but sure would like to.

Chris

Bill,

Is the silver medal for the Centennial (International Exhibition) the same size as the monster I have of the Award medal in bronze/copper......76mm......9.9 oz.?

I've never seen one, but sure would like to.

Chris

I also have the large bronze medel in the original box. This one is 38 mm in diameter, and it is listed in the So-called Dollar book as variety #20.

Finding one is no problem. Finding one in the original box that is well struck and has not been cleaned to death is very difficult. One dealer who specializes in so-called dollars at the Baltimroe show much have had almost 100 of them. The trouble was they were all cleaned to death and had no boxes.

The big problem is that it hard to know what this stuff is worth. Years ago I should have pulled the trigger on one at $850, but I thought they were only worth $450 to $500 at the time.

At lot of the good ones are now in slabs, which really does not interest me.

Maaaaaaaan, I've been looking for one of those for a long time, a nice one, just like you have there. Great pick-up and your very lucky because if I saw this piece listed you would have been in a biddiing with me. Way to go!!!!

AJ,

That is certainly a beautiful medal! I tried enlarging it to read the small print, but it became too blurry for me. Is the designer's name on it?

It was designed by Hermon A. MacNeil designer of the Standing Liberty quarter. His name is on the obverse and reverse of this medal.

I know these where struck in Bronze and Silver... Yet this looks like Copper? I don't recall ever seeing a copper example... Interestingly enough nor a bronze example that was stored in it's original box of issue that wasn't a medium/deep chocolate brown.

This is bronze, not copper. From what I've seen, very few developed this kind of patina which was caused by the felt in box. These are the sellers images. I will post some of my own tonight. The medal is worth around $1200 with it's box based on past auctions.

This is bronze, not copper. From what I've seen, very few developed this kind of patina which was caused by the felt in box. These are the sellers images. I will post some of my own tonight. The medal is worth around $1200 with it's box based on past auctions.

Look forward to seeing your own pics as many exposition medals and SC$1's had factory applied patina. The 1904 St. Louis and 1915 Arkansas Pan Pac come to mind. I'd like to get a better look at the colorful patina around J.B. Smith and Sons who this was awarded too.

Check with Savoyspecial ATS as I was offered one in the box that he took on memo to sell for a local B&M dealer.

It's been a while, but I don't think it sold?

With the price of copper going up, this could be a very lucrative investment. (thumbs u

Nice medal too Ankur! :)

Nice pickup. I was one of the losing bidders on it. I have a bronze and a silver one already and really didn't want it as bad as you. I have two boxes for mine but neither have the top lids. Just the bottom part with Gorham Mfg. Co. on the back. I would like to find a gilt one. I really like these medals. Yours is a prime example.

I have a uniface set of this medal that is gilt on white medal with a screw studs on the back for mounting on a plaque. Here is what they look like. I don't know if they are period or modern but they are done well including the edge markings.

PanAmunifacemedals.jpg

Here are my bronze and silver ones.

1901Pan-AmMedalBronze1.jpg

1901Pan-AmMedalBronze2.jpg

1901Pan-AmMedalSilver1.jpg

1901Pan-AmMedalSilver2.jpg