• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-Slabbing "Old Fatties," are you for or against it?(pic posted)

30 posts in this topic

Re-Slabbing "Old Fatties," are you for or against it?

how come? Can you submit an old fattie for a re-grade, and if it doesn't upgrade will NGC re-slab it with the old grade?

Just curious to see what you guys think, and I look forward to seeing the different perspectives on this topic.

I have quite a few old fat slabs but I have decided to keep them just as they are. I'm sure not in the game for assigned grades on the plastic, no no, make no mistake about that, I'm in it for for the eye appeal of the coins inside the slabs. A bump up on some of my coins would matter as far as "value" but this will not change the appearance of the coin. I suppose if I were going to sell, which I'm not, or get caught up in the registry set game, which I'm not sure of yet, then it would matter.....Joe

how come? Can you submit an old fattie for a re-grade, and if it doesn't upgrade will NGC re-slab it with the old grade?

Just curious to see what you guys think, and I look forward to seeing the different perspectives on this topic.

I am for it, if the higher grade would bring into the thousands of extra dollars and I was relatively certain; otherwise, I am VERY sentimental and very much like the old slabs and want to preserve them.

I am also spooked after reading all these posts about bio-contaminants. This worries me and if that happened to a one of a kind coin; it WOULD NOT be worth it at all, even if I was fully reimbursed!

NGC will reslab it AT LEAST as high of a grade as it was prior and, if for some reason (very unlikely), it had an issue, then they will pay you the difference or buy it outright (on their price terms, of course). You certainly would not get top dollar!

I have quite a few old fat slabs but I have decided to keep them just as they are. I'm sure not in the game for assigned grades on the plastic, no no, make no mistake about that, I'm in it for for the eye appeal of the coins inside the slabs. A bump up on some of my coins would matter as far as "value" but this will not change the appearance of the coin. I suppose if I were going to sell, which I'm not, or get caught up in the registry set game, which I'm not sure of yet, then it would matter.....Joe

These are my sentiments as well. I'm not in it for the money, and I don't participate in the Registry.

Chris

I really like the older slabs. As people cross them over, my slabs will once increase in scarcity and thus value. I already have several very scarce slabs, I just need collector demand to catch up.

Too many risk in changing holders. The coin is what it is. When the day comes to sell, I'll look at each coin again.

Are you collecting the coin or the holder/grade?

Are you selling the coin or the holder?

If collecting, does the coin look better to you in a new holder? Really better?

If selling, are you selling the COIN to someone, and that is what they are paying for, or are you selling the plastic and that is a large difference in what they are paying you?

For the record, I have a few fatties and I have not crossed them. nor sent them back to NGC for a regrade, as I like the coin (particularly the copper that has obviously been in the holder for more than a few years and they are stable as can be).

If I were to sell them, I would be selling the coin at what I believe the grade and worth of the coin to be.

I much prefer the increased odds of a coin's stability, if left in the older holder.

Once a re-holder or re-grade has occurred, the older holder is gone, for good.

And often, if a coin in an older holder is under graded and sold via public auction, it will bring a price commensurate with it's quality, anyway.

I much prefer the increased odds of a coin's stability, if left in the older holder.

Once a re-holder or re-grade has occurred, the older holder is gone, for good.

And often, if a coin in an older holder is under graded and sold via public auction, it will bring a price commensurate with it's quality, anyway.

Mark is wise beyond my years :D

(hold it, didn't I just say what he said, just a couple of posts above? :baiting: )

Is it my imagination that coins in the fatties tone up either spot ugly or really beautfiul. Does the paper without the line affect the toning? I sure like the holder but the bad toning is :P

If the coin is attractive, leave it...is my thoughts.

keep the ********** NGC*******************older fat boy holders

why

1--- mystique

2--- way cool and sexy slab

3--- with regards to copper and copper nickel coinage adds to the mystique (could be true, untrue or somewhere in between) that they are stable and not recently with

4--- has the cashet of PQ or better for the grade stated (could be true,untrue or somewhere in between)

5--- fewer around so more scarcer

6----a new collecting nitch is creating more likely demand

7--- with many coins they add value (and yes i have seen this in auction especially so with common date saints and libs)

8---- an older slab with a green bean is definately worth PQ money!!! and with a gold bean LOTS MORE!!!!

9-- best one OUT OF ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!! DRIVES KOOL-AID DRINKERS ATS NUTS!! :devil: AS THESE FAT BOYS DONT quite FIT INTO KOOL-AID DRINKERS 20 COIN BLUE SLAB BOXES

(of course with every number 1-8 above it all depends on if the coin at least meets my standards for grade and eye appeal then it is even better!!)

I think the coins in the old fatty holders sometimes tend to tone badly.

All of my NGC holdered coins that had scratched holders were reholdered. Now I don't worry about the ugly toning that could occur, and I don't need to see scratches on the plastic.

the reason I ask is because the hologram label on the rev of one of mine is about 1/4 scraped off. I didn't know if that would question it's authenticity for the future if my kids ever needed to sell it.

Most of them I have seen have been similar (hologram largely missing).

Not sure if the old fatties were ever the target of counterfeiting like some of the old PCGS holders were....I am sure someone on here will know and chime in though.

the reason I ask is because the hologram label on the rev of one of mine is about 1/4 scraped off. I didn't know if that would question it's authenticity for the future if my kids ever needed to sell it.

Buy it for the coin, not the hologram! J/K!

A number of mine have much of the hologram missing, too. It's no big deal to me since I have no desire to sell them, and I know the coins are authentic.

Chris

Buy the fatties that are embossed and you won't have that problem! Honestly, a lot of those early holograms have that problem. It doesn't hurt the value.

Most of them I have seen have been similar (hologram largely missing).

Not sure if the old fatties were ever the target of counterfeiting like some of the old PCGS holders were

The early NGC slabs with holograms are relatively scarce without messed up holgrams

The early no line fatties have not been reported to have been counterfeited. The injection molds for the plastic shells are pretty expensive. If they already have the molds for the later shells I don't think they would bother making up another set of molds just to fake a different generation of slab. If they want to fake a different generation it is much easier to simply fake one that used the same shell and a different label design.

how come?

I will never reslab mine, mostly for sentimental reasons. I just like the slabs.

And incidentally, I'm a huge fan of the new NGC pronged holders... and still would not get my no-line holders reslabbed.

Unless there is some logical purpose, why should you waste the time and money? If you HAVE to spend the dollars, then donate the money to a good local charity, where real people might benefit from your generosity.

Unless there is some logical purpose, why should you waste the time and money? If you HAVE to spend the dollars, then donate the money to a good local charity, where real people might benefit from your generosity.

Are you saying that the employees and owners of NGC aren't "real people"?

Here's the reverse in question

1909d.jpg

Ah, you do have a point. I guess if the slab and/or hologram is messed up to that extent, then maybe reslabbing isn't a bad idea. To my recollection, darn near all of my early slabs are in pristine condition. In fact, for quite a few of them, I am only the second owner, having purchased them directly from the original owner.

Here's the reverse in question

1909d.jpg

To each his own, but as long as the coin and holder look OK, I don't concern myself with the hologram.

Unless it's a lock up-grade, I wouldn't try it. You may diminish the value of your coin if it comes back in a new holder at the same grade.

how come?

I will never reslab mine, mostly for sentimental reasons. I just like the slabs.

And incidentally, I'm a huge fan of the new NGC pronged holders... and still would not get my no-line holders reslabbed.

I am generally against it with a few exceptions. If the coin is clearly undergraded, and there is a huge premium for the coin in the next highest grade, I would upgrade. Additionally, I would resubmit full red copper coins. Old holder copper coins were not covered under NGC's guarantee, and the newer holder copper coins are guaranteed for 10 years. I would resubmit the coins to have them covered under the guarantee. To me, this is cheap insurance in case the coin begins to turn red-brown or brown.

how come?

I am generally against it with a few exceptions. If the coin is clearly undergraded, and there is a huge premium for the coin in the next highest grade, I would upgrade. Additionally, I would resubmit full red copper coins. Old holder copper coins were not covered under NGC's guarantee, and the newer holder copper coins are guaranteed for 10 years. I would resubmit the coins to have them covered under the guarantee. To me, this is cheap insurance in case the coin begins to turn red-brown or brown.

If a coin is "clearly under graded" you can consign it to a major auction and chances are excellent that it will bring the higher price it deserves.