• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elusive Coin RIP David Lawrence

24 posts in this topic

For a coin with 30,169,353 business strikes I have found this date particularly difficult to find in gem.

Finally a respectable MS65 CAC example from DLRC.

Superb image compliment of Bob Campbell

In memory of David Lawrence Feigenbaum

OP

112267.jpg.ca50944f34c4e1e8ada482041c6de85a.jpg

112268.jpg.8361589d0a929f64163005ea971f70ec.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear this news. When did this happen?

Nine years ago, today. His son, John, is president and owner.

Lance.

I'm very sorry to hear this news. When did this happen?

From their website;

Dave retired from DLRC in 1996 and passed away on May 25, 2002, after a heroic 6-year battle with Lou Gehrig's disease.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Dave Lawrence was a terrific guy to know and with whom to do business. He was passionate about Barber coins in particular, co-founding the Barber Coin Collectors Society in 1989. I was deeply involved with Barbers at the time, too, and I'm still member number 4. I bought many of my better pieces from Dave, though those collections were later sold. I have more modest sets of quarters and halves now, but I always think of Dave when I look at them.

Dave also commissioned me to write my first books, which were to be in the same format as his own "Complete Guide" books on Barber coins. I was a more expansive writer than he anticipated, which added to the overhead, so we parted company professionally after the first two books but remained friends.

When Dave was crippled with ALS, he used an eye-activated computer to write a chatty memoir titled Tales From the Bourse. This is a fun book, and it may still be available from DLRC. I got my copy as soon as it came out in 2001.

That makes more sense; I was wondering why I hadn't heard the news! I had always heard of David Lawrence Rare Coins and assumed that he was still alive.

Me too. I assumed he was alive as I have bought many Buffs from this outfit and never knew of his passing. Great place to purchase coins, I'll tell you that! Some of my most beautiful Buffs have been purchased from David Lawrence.....Joe

Very nice V Nickel OP - I like it alot !!

Dave Lawrence was one of the first dealers

that I had contact with [ Liz Coggan is the other ]

and I was in contact with Dave two or three times

a week. I purchased most of my raw Barbers from

DLRC - and when he decided to get out of the raw

coin business - he offered me all the raw Barber Dimes

that I needed in one fell swoop - and said I could take

all the time I needed to pay off the balance.

He was a great guy and I miss him.

Love DLRC and bought just one coin from him but it is one of my best Walkers.

I check the site regularly and will no doubt do more business in the future. :)

Mr. Lange,

I also have this book, "Tales From the Bourse" and unless I am wrong, it is available via Stella online for free, at least, it used to be. Very interesting and enjoyable read. I have only purchased two coins from DLRC of which both were quite acceptable and unfortunately was also unknowledgeable of his demise. Unreal.

Thanks for the post.

Jim

Stella Coin News

When Dave was crippled with ALS, he used an eye-activated computer to write a chatty memoir titled Tales From the Bourse. This is a fun book, and it may still be available from DLRC. I got my copy as soon as it came out in 2001.

When I bought a coin from DLRC a couple of years ago, they included this book for free. I thought it was a nice gesture and a fun read. I don't know if they still do this, because I've only bought one coin from them (not because of anything on their part, they just haven't had anything that I need).

When I bought a coin from DLRC a couple of years ago, they included this book for free. I thought it was a nice gesture and a fun read. I don't know if they still do this, because I've only bought one coin from them (not because of anything on their part, they just haven't had anything that I need).

They don't include the book anymore. My interest is now peaked and I'm gonna have to find it and read it. :)

094-4.jpg

087-5.jpg

092.jpg

I purchased this pretty 29-S 63 from David Lawrence, among others, and it's just as nice as a 63 can be, maybe even better. This is a great outfit and I would recommend looking through their inventory.

I checked and the book is still offered for free viewing by Stella Coin News.

Jim

Thanks, for the info, Jim!!

'The Complete Guide to WLHs' by Bruce Fox is also available via that same site!

Dave's last publishing effort was entitled, "JOURNEYS WITH ALS". This is a compilation of individuals' personal stories of coping with Lou Gehrig's disease.

I am a longtime customer of DLRC. In the early 2000's, my wife suffered a serious illness. David's son, John was offering me words of comfort over the phone, and a few days later, a copy of this book arrived in the mail.

A kind gesture, especially considering John's own personal grief.

That is a very nice Draped Bust Half!

BTW, I just finished reading "Tales from the Bourse' online and it was a very interesting and fun set of short stories!